A few from a road trip over New Years to WA

All things winged.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Rothdigga

A few from a road trip over New Years to WA

Post by Rothdigga »

I wanted to visit my brother up in Anacortes, WA but figured we would take a nice scenic drive up the 395 from SoCal and the same way back. While up there we got to go out and check some of the hundreds of Bald Eagles that migrate to the upper Skagit River area. It was pretty sweet, easily saw 60 or so in about 3 hours. On the way back we stopped at the Sacramento National Wildlife Refuge to see all of the migratory waterfowl. Here's a few shots...
Someone want to help me with this ID? Juvie Red-tail?
Was pretty psyched to see an American Bittern. I've never seen one, probably common there but never see them down here.
pete

Re: A few from a road trip over New Years to WA

Post by pete »

Beautiful shots!!! :thumb: You are correct on the juvi redtail, nicely marked bird.
chrish

Post by chrish »

Very nice series of photos.

I like the goose shot. I always like shots that show Ross' and Snow Geese together. That's not an easy shot to get where I live.
Rothdigga

Post by Rothdigga »

chrish wrote:Very nice series of photos.

I like the goose shot. I always like shots that show Ross' and Snow Geese together. That's not an easy shot to get where I live.
Thanks Chris. There certainly were a lot of them. At one point something spooked them all and about 1000+ took to the sky for 5 min or so. I really wanted to get one of those photos with just a ton of geese flying and barely any sky but I just wasn't close enough. But a cool and VERY loud sight to see.

Pete, thanks for the ID verification.