Moderator: Scott Waters

enj

removed

Post by enj »

removed
Ross Padilla

Re: my california tiger salamander

Post by Ross Padilla »

If these things are endangered or protected, isn't it illegal to hold them and even take them home for a pet? You're new, I'm sure you'll learn this stuff soon enough. They are neat looking salamanders, though. :thumb: But on second thought, if its an introduced Tiger Sally, its probably just fine. I can't tell the two apart.
FunkyRes

Post by FunkyRes »

That looks like a California Tiger to me.
Not that I'm an expert.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Probably depend on if they were protected when they collected them (I don't know) Either way...by law, can't be returned to the wild. Don't really know what else to say, so I'll let others, more informed than I chime in.
BTW, welcome to the forum... :thumb: jim
El Garia

Post by El Garia »

enj - That is a California Tiger Salamander. They're a protected species. You can get in big trouble for having them fellers. Can't say I know what you should do with it, because possession AND release are both prohibited. Anyone know what the best course of action for enj is?
Chad M. Lane

Post by Chad M. Lane »

This species has been federally protected for some time now, and just recently state protected. If I was the original poster, I would remove this post as this is breaking the law.

Cheeers,
Chad
Schell

Post by Schell »

I am an expert and yes, to the OP. Owning that animal is a FELONY and you are in a bit of a spot. FYI, take of an endangered species is punishable by up to a year in prison and a $50,000 fine. It does not matter when it was collected, although for the record, for the entire time you've owned it, it has been listed on the ESA. I am not an attorney, but be advised that the authorities do look at this site.
hellihooks

Re: removed

Post by hellihooks »

Even if that sally came into the possession of F&G... they would destroy it, rather than return it to the wild. The only alternative I can see is find someone who does reptile/amphibian talks, and has a 'salvage license' with F&G. The sally could then be used for educational purposes, rather than be destroyed. Perhaps the person doing the upcoming sally talk in Santa Cruz could help? jim
FunkyRes

Post by FunkyRes »

hellihooks wrote:Even if that sally came into the possession of F&G... they would destroy it, rather than return it to the wild. The only alternative I can see is find someone who does reptile/amphibian talks, and has a 'salvage license' with F&G. The sally could then be used for educational purposes, rather than be destroyed. Perhaps the person doing the upcoming sally talk in Santa Cruz could help? jim
That's what I was thinking. It might make a nice addition to a natural history museum, especially since the specimen has demonstrated ability to thrive in captivity.

What I would do is call DF&G from a pay phone, explain the situation, and ask if there is a way to coordinate a donation to a natural history museum without being charged with anything.

From the original deleted post, it sounds like the person posting is a minor and that it likely was collected by a minor in ignorance of the law.

I suspect the DF&G is willing to have leniency in that case as long as he is expressing an effort to make things right and desire to follow the law in the future. But I would call them from a payphone to discuss it.

888 334-2258
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

FunkyRes wrote:What I would do is call DF&G from a pay phone...
:lol: :lol:
FunkyRes

Post by FunkyRes »

Ross Padilla wrote:
FunkyRes wrote:What I would do is call DF&G from a pay phone...
:lol: :lol:
They still have them at BART stations and there's a BART station in Fremont.

At least I think they still have them at BART stations ...
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Yeah, don't see them much anymore. The funny part was making the call untraceable. Don't know why, but that cracks me up. :thumb:
FunkyRes

Post by FunkyRes »

Ross Padilla wrote:Yeah, don't see them much anymore. The funny part was making the call untraceable. Don't know why, but that cracks me up. :thumb:
I called from my cell phone once to report a non commercial native herp and the connection was dropped. Figuring I was in bad reception area, I decided to call later. A few minutes later, my phone rang, it was DF&G.
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Then you're right, the pay phone would be the best option for enj when calling about something like this. That way if they start yelling at him or threaten to punish him, he can just drop the phone and run. :lol: