It is currently October 20th, 2014, 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Anyone been to Corcovado National Park??
PostPosted: February 2nd, 2012, 3:42 pm 

I am going to costa rica in August and I was wondering if it is even possible to stay in corcovado for a week. We would either stay at the main ranger station or just camp in the wilderness. It seems like corcovado is such a great place for wildlife. Also, how much does it cost to stay at the ranger station in the bunks and get food there??
Thanks for the help,
Dylan

Post subject: Re: Anyone been to Corcovado National Park??
PostPosted: February 2nd, 2012, 7:28 pm 

I'm pretty sure you can only stay at the ranger stations unless you have a permit. To do otherwise is to risk arrest as a poacher. The rangers there do not mess around. I think 5 days (maybe 6) was the limit when I was there. You also get checked if you leave via the easterly route so you can't overstay unless you are sneaky. They will check you going north as well for sure. West I don't know, I haven't gone that way yet. I understand your desire to stay later, It's a fantastic place. Stay at Bolita if you want to camp longer. It's a neat little hostel in the buffer zone.
getting meals there = one arm and one leg. just haul your food in. There are great supermarkets in town. I don't know about bunks either, tenting it worked fine. There is a large covered platform to put your tent on as well if there is room.

Post subject: Re: Anyone been to Corcovado National Park??
PostPosted: February 4th, 2012, 3:04 pm 

What time of the year did you go to corcovado?? Was it productive?? I think I might stay a sirena station and set up a tent for 3 days, take a break, and then go back in for 3 days. Do you think this is a good idea?? Any more advice would be great!
Thanks,
Dylan