2012 NAFHA Database Scoreboard

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

gretzkyrh4

2012 NAFHA Database Scoreboard

Post by gretzkyrh4 »

With a new year upon us, I figured it was time to get a new link to the NAHERP database conest up on this board. Looking back at 2011, 1431 records representing 168 species were entered in the south central region. 606 of these were county records (42% of our records were county records)!

So far in 2012, 53 records including 7 county records have been entered in the SC region. Links to the scoreboards are below.

2012 Scoreboard
http://www.naherp.com/reports/national- ... &chapter=5

2012 Historical Scoreboard
http://www.naherp.com/reports/national- ... &chapter=5

Good luck everyone and let's see if we can't improve on last years totals.

Chris
Paul White

Re: 2012 NAFHA Database Scoreboard

Post by Paul White »

I've been way behind. Hope to catch up some this week. Some good stuff in there that should help, but I'm not putting in lizards as much as last couple of years (putting in GPS coords for every uta or sceloporus I seeing just...isn't happening). still should have some good stuff and some decent entries soon though.
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Paul, I think you are still missing the easy way to add lizards and gps - just copy the previous record and when you click on the little, tiny wrench, the map marker will be in the same place as it was for the last record. You just move it to where the new lizard was seen. It literally takes 15 seconds per entry.
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Brian, great clue...thanks!

Congrats to Chris Harrison and a few others for leading in data entries so far this year. Great to see some good stuff and much diversity going into the records for this chapter.

One state I love to visit is Texas, so much variety there. Another is Oklahoma...but I can't believe there's only five entries for the year so far. There's great habitat and lots of different herps there. Either there aren't any herpers in OK anymore, or everyone is comatose there.

Let's rock 'em folks... :beer:
chrish

Post by chrish »

I recently decided on a new goal for the year - 1000 county records. I'm at 965 so far, and unfortunately Pingleton and Hubbs are catching up. I'm sure I can find another 35 county records this fall still. I just have to drive a little further and go to some boring spots. Rain helps because most herpers don't pay attention to anurans.

Of course, there is some low hanging fruit to be harvested from the county record orchard as well thanks to bad records like this - http://www.naherp.com/viewrecord.php?r_id=29336
One state I love to visit is Texas, so much variety there. Another is Oklahoma...but I can't believe there's only five entries for the year so far. There's great habitat and lots of different herps there. Either there aren't any herpers in OK anymore, or everyone is comatose there.
I used to live in Tulsa. You could really clean up if you entered every Ringneck and Lined Snake you found. You could easily get 1000 records a year in one county.
gretzkyrh4

Post by gretzkyrh4 »

Great job on the database everyone! With two months remaining in 2012 the SC Chapter is already 764 records ahead of our 2011 total (2196 vs 1432) and up 3 counties (148 vs 145). We're still a little behind on total species (145 vs 168), and county records (570 vs 608), but they're still within reach for the year. Let's keep up the good work.

Chris
beanie

Post by beanie »

I never even knew about this "scoring" lol. I am almost embarrassed at the lack of entries I have compared to how often I'm in the field. My numbers will defiantly be higher in 2013.
Shane_TX

Post by Shane_TX »

I am almost embarrassed at the lack of entries I have compared to how often I'm in the field.
A little known fact is that many of us prefer to enjoy time in the field without worrying about database entries!

Shane
gretzkyrh4

Post by gretzkyrh4 »

beanie wrote:I never even knew about this "scoring" lol. I am almost embarrassed at the lack of entries I have compared to how often I'm in the field. My numbers will defiantly be higher in 2013.
No need to be embarrassed. Every record counts and there are few who herp in your area, so what you have added likely helps to fill in holes. Besides, you can always go back and add some if you remember where your pictures were taken. It's not a bad way to spend an hour or two when the weather is too cold to get out in the field.

Also, if you have a smart phone (I don't, but use my wife's on occasion), then you should consider getting Don's naherp app. It makes vouchering those incidental finds quick and easy. You'd be surprised how quick those entries can add up.

Chris
beanie

Post by beanie »

I have his app and LOVE it. In fact his app is what is helping (forcing) me learn the scientific names of the species we find. :D
ritt

Post by ritt »

Nothing to be embarrassed about, beanie. But these 'scorecards' are a nice way to keep track of how many records you've entered, as well as the numbers that have been entered for the chapter as a whole. It is really easy to not enter records, particularly for the common things (like Acris, Anolis, Scincella), that you'd otherwise just ignore and not photograph (I tend to do the same, particularly if I'm in an area that I know already has records for those common things). But the NAHERP database is one of the primary purposes of NAFHA, and every record counts, even the common things. I know you saw Greg Pauly's data request for the Hemidactylus records as evidence of that, and as the database continues to grow, the number of data requests is also growing. NAHERP is turning into quite an excellent resource. I finally figured out how to get my cell phone camera to focus (never really bothered trying before), so I started using the HERP Mobile app yesterday, it is quite nice and makes entered data a lot easier (just make sure you sync it! I had played around with the app a bit back in May, and apparently still had a Plestiodon record sitting on there waiting to be uploaded, haha.)

Anyway, with just over a week to go in 2012, we're doing a phenomenal job with entering data! As of right now, 2415 records of specimens found in 2012 have been entered (up from 1432 last year), including 613 county records (up from 608 last year). Including historical entries (specimens entered in 2012 but found earlier), we're up to 2476 records (up from 1869 last year), including 637 county records (down from 781 last year). Props should in particular go to David, Chris H., and Chris W., all of whom have entered over 200 South Central Chapter records in 2012!

So, here's a challenge for everyone: we're rather close to 2500 records for 2012, only 24 away including historical records or 85 away including only specimens found in 2012. Let's see if we can get 2500 vouchered records added in 2012. At some point in the next week, try to sneak away from your families and holiday festivities for a few hours to get a few more records to add in so we can try to hit that rather impressive mark.

-Eric
dbh

Post by dbh »

Eric,
Weather forecast for south Louisiana looks pretty good next week, we should be able to get 85 Pseudacris crucifer with a little effort! I bet some other stuff will show up too.

The forecast for New Year's day on the other hand looks a little cold but at least it's a wet cold!

David
beanie

Post by beanie »

Now that I have the APP I plan on entering many more of our finds even common once because it helps my son and I learn the scientific names. The biggest drawbackk to entering before was adding the location, it took so long that it was a bit discouraging
gretzkyrh4

Post by gretzkyrh4 »

ritt wrote: So, here's a challenge for everyone: we're rather close to 2500 records for 2012, only 24 away including historical records or 85 away including only specimens found in 2012. Let's see if we can get 2500 vouchered records added in 2012. At some point in the next week, try to sneak away from your families and holiday festivities for a few hours to get a few more records to add in so we can try to hit that rather impressive mark.
If the forecast for Tuesday stays the way it is, I'll make a point of zigzagging my way home from Memphis that evening. There's a fair bit of potential Ambystoma habitat between the MS/LA line and Baton Rouge on my way home. 85 records is nothing if a few of us put in some effort.

Chris
beanie

Post by beanie »

Started our effort tonight with a ride to our favorite lake.84 to go. :thumb: