Melbourne, Australia Feb: 25- Mar:3

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

strikedistance

Melbourne, Australia Feb: 25- Mar:3

Post by strikedistance »

Hey just wanted to put a post up here. My spring break is during that week from LMU and the land down under is where I will be. I know it has been a while but I know I will be getting some herping in. If anyone in the area would like a tag along or to help out someone let me know. We will be staying with my girlfriends best friend in the city and I know we are going hiking and camping but I would also like to do some real herping.
Let me know and pictures to come!!! It has been 9 years sense the last time I visited Aussy and Im looking forward to it more than you know!!!!! :beer:
strikedistance

Re: Melbourne, Australia Feb: 25- Mar:3

Post by strikedistance »

178 views. and no response. No one has any thoughts of what to do or lives in the area do give some tips and or go out herping? I would rather hike than anything else...
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

The high views are probably because everyone here enjoys Australia posts, and by the title probably thought that this was a post with pictures, not a plea for advice. I'm sure someone might be able to throw you some general ideas sooner, but there aren't a huge amount of aussies on here (I can think of a dozen or so.) I've never come close to herping Australia, but I would guess that hiking and evening cruising good habitat would give you at least a few nice critters.
jordo

Post by jordo »

Hey mate. It depends on how much time you have and what you want to see. You can get tigers and brown snakes, as well as some skinks including bluetongues and cunninghams in the outer suburbs. If you have the time and the weather is good make a run out to the Little Desert, Big Desert or Hattah National Park. The Grampians National Park is a bit closer and also has a bit of diversity (and great for hiking).
Rags

Post by Rags »

Sherbrooke Forest for Lyrebirds and other wildlife. Phillip Island for Penguins and the reptiles just happen along in most parts.
strikedistance

Post by strikedistance »

Thanks for the advice. That is why I put the dates though because its in the future lol.

Jordo- Thanks man. I will be down for a week or so. Should have a good two or more full days for hiking/herping. I don't know how my car access will be though. Are you in the area?? Tigers and Brown sound great. My favorite snake has always been the red bellied black. and i am also really into lizards. Are you in the area??? Oh and I will be staying in Ballarat but flying out of Melbourne and will be in the city on Friday.
jordo

Post by jordo »

I grew up in Ballarat but I'm living over in Adelaide at the moment. Red Bellied Blacks are more common in Eastern Vic. I don't know any reliable spots for them though.
Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

Regardless of not receiving much advice here, you got mad skills and will undoubtedly come across some cool stuff. I’m looking forward to the pictures. Spring Break in the Land Down Under, it doesn’t get much better than that…

:beer:
Jeff Lemm

Post by Jeff Lemm »

Try to get to Gippsland - great-looking lacies and water dragons there.
strikedistance

Post by strikedistance »

Thanks for the help guys. I am really interested in Tiger, Brown, Fierce, Red Bellied Black, and pythons. Along with monitors, skinks, dragons, and geckos.

jordo- Thanks for the tips. How close is that? Couple hours? If you have time and would like to go herp i'd love to go out with a local.
Will- Thanks bro. Yes there will be many pictures. Im looking forward to finding elapids even though crotes will always be my first love!! :P
Jeff- Thanks man we got to meet up in Borrego this Spring. or Baja if you are interested.
jordo

Post by jordo »

Always keen to go out herping but Adelaide is about 7 hours drive from Ballarat so it's a bit far. Buy the 3rd edition of the complete guide to reptiles of Australia by Wilson and Swan (if you don't already have a field guide). There's no really good frog guides but if you just take photos of everything you see they're pretty easy to ID at a glance.
Look forward to seeing the results!
strikedistance

Post by strikedistance »

Damn It would be that far. I guess a 3-4 hour drive would even be worth it if we met out in the desert. I will forsure take a ton of pictures. Thanks for the help and if you want to talk specifics message me. I appreciate everything.