February skink? With a suggestion in flipping

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

kirbyl4

February skink? With a suggestion in flipping

Post by kirbyl4 »

so the other day February 18th in MD it was about 40 maybe 45 and had a good wind chill. I was out doing a little bit of herping and flipped a little skink. I barely noticed the skink and almost rolled the log back on top of him probably crushing him. Right before I rolled the log b kl I saw a tiny little blue tail sticking out of the some soft dirt. So naturally I had to dig him up so i could safely roll the log back without crushing him.
This brings me to my point when you flip something before you put it back make sure there really is nothing because you never know what you may miss. a double look is way better than a quick once over. i know as herpers we don't want to needlessly kill these amazing creatures.
Also a second thought for if you flip something. If its a cold day and you flip something be sure to put it back under cover. a good idea also is to pack leaves and/or dirt around the edge of the flipped object. it will help trap in heat as alot of reptiles could die if we dont help them out. Even amphibians could die, they can dry out extremely fast. If anything did survive a cold day or night and was left out or under a flip that hasn't been packed in a raccoon, opossum or some scavenger would eventually get a hold of them.
Just a few things to keep in mind when out herping.
Remember we are out there to observe and enjoy the wildlife, herps and all, so we don't want to be the reason for needless death. There is enough problems with habitat destruction, road kills and collecting.

just for good measure here is a pic of the skink i flipped. :)
kyle loucks

Re: February skink? With a suggestion in flipping

Post by kyle loucks »

kirbyl4 wrote:so the other day February 18th in MD it was about 40 maybe 45 and had a good wind chill. I was out doing a little bit of herping and flipped a little skink. I barely noticed the skink and almost rolled the log back on top of him probably crushing him. Right before I rolled the log b kl I saw a tiny little blue tail sticking out of the some soft dirt. So naturally I had to dig him up so i could safely roll the log back without crushing him.
This brings me to my point when you flip something before you put it back make sure there really is nothing because you never know what you may miss. a double look is way better than a quick once over. i know as herpers we don't want to needlessly kill these amazing creatures.
Also a second thought for if you flip something. If its a cold day and you flip something be sure to put it back under cover. a good idea also is to pack leaves and/or dirt around the edge of the flipped object. it will help trap in heat as alot of reptiles could die if we dont help them out. Even amphibians could die, they can dry out extremely fast. If anything did survive a cold day or night and was left out or under a flip that hasn't been packed in a raccoon, opossum or some scavenger would eventually get a hold of them.
Just a few things to keep in mind when out herping.
Remember we are out there to observe and enjoy the wildlife, herps and all, so we don't want to be the reason for needless death. There is enough problems with habitat destruction, road kills and collecting.

[/img]
Good reminders Matt.