Tonight's Amphibian Migration (Greater Cleveland Area)

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

tspuckler

Tonight's Amphibian Migration (Greater Cleveland Area)

Post by tspuckler » March 12th, 2012, 7:12 pm

It rained pretty heavily until early afternoon, but then it stopped. But it still turned out to be a very good night for seeing amphibians.

Wood Frogs were everywhere. I've never seen so many in one night (I only stayed for an hour).

Here's a female heavy with eggs. Unfortunately they didn't close the road like they usually do, so there were quite a few casualties. We called a ranger and he stopped by shortly thereafter to close it.

Although the Wood Frogs were calling in full force, there weren't many Spring Peepers calling yet. I only saw two on the road.

Salamanders tend to start crossing a bit later at night, but eventually they made their presence known.

One with relatively few spots.

But the Wood Frogs kept coming too. Sometimes I'd be photographing one and two or three would hop right on by.

A few were orange and a few were pink.

A weird hybrid/intergrade thing that no one can quite figure out.

This spotted was just chillin' in a roadside puddle after making it across the street.

And this one successfully crossed the "finish line" too.

Hey, that's a spotted salamander, but it's not a Ambystoma maculatum. This newt was probably looking to cash in on some tasty amphibian eggs.

Gray is my favorite color, and this Jefferson's certainly was a fine sight to see.

It was quite a night!

Tim

Andy Avram

Re: Tonight's Amphibian Migration (Greater Cleveland Area)

Post by Andy Avram » March 12th, 2012, 7:36 pm

Nice Tim. I didn't see any overland movement up by me, but I am sure there was some, and I am sure there will be more this week. I need to get down to that park you are in one year. It is so well publicized, I feel like I am missing out! I have a love/hate relationship with those hybrid.

Andy

mikemike

Post by mikemike » March 12th, 2012, 9:02 pm

Nice, Tim. We just can't get a damn rainy night down here in Arkansas. Every day it rains and we plan to cruise, it'll stop early and dry up.

KingCam

Post by KingCam » March 13th, 2012, 6:50 am

That's incredible. I don't understand how you find these roads that have such heavy amphibian migrations across them. I've never seen anything like this, and I wouldn't even know where to look :crazyeyes:

Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell » March 13th, 2012, 7:13 pm

Beautiful post! Doggonit, I wish I had been interested in herps way back when I lived outside Cleveland. I missed some amazing creatures.

Joey Kennedy

Post by Joey Kennedy » March 14th, 2012, 2:04 am

mikemike wrote:Nice, Tim. We just can't get a damn rainy night down here in Arkansas. Every day it rains and we plan to cruise, it'll stop early and dry up.
It is the exact same thing here in NC :O weve had like 2 light rains since feburary