One fewer guy killing herps on TV

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

jonathan

One fewer guy killing herps on TV

Post by jonathan »

Bear Grylls has been fired from the Discovery Channel

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/entertainmen ... ear-grylls

My only issue with the article is they make it sound like he only spent the night in a motel once while filming the show.
Schell

Re: One fewer guy killing herps on TV

Post by Schell »

This is just FANTASTIC news!!
JAMAUGHN

Post by JAMAUGHN »

Go easy, Jonathan. I'm sure he always drank his own urine while staying at the motels.
chrish

Post by chrish »

Schell wrote:This is just FANTASTIC news!!
Agreed. Its hard for me to describe how much I dislike that guy.
Serpentes

Post by Serpentes »

JAMAUGHN wrote:Go easy, Jonathan. I'm sure he always drank his own urine while staying at the motels.
:beer:
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Thats good . I couldnt stand that clown .

Hey listen I have a confession . In one of those animal planet (:roll: :twisted:) fatal attraction shows I kind of dug something about the Bushmaster guy, his alchemic insanity for death by the snakes he adored.

When he was feeding that big girl - with forceps one would use to hand a cornsnake a mouse - and then, givin it a little tug for enrichment.

yeah, yeah I know . . but still he was intriguing.
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

JAMAUGHN wrote:Go easy, Jonathan. I'm sure he always drank his own urine while staying at the motels.
ROTFLOALMSCLKWJEVLWLEWAAAA!!!
the Bushmaster guy
Who dat?
Mike Pingleton

Post by Mike Pingleton »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
millside

Post by millside »

does that mean my Bear Grylls survival knife will be a collectors item now. :thumb:
mikemike

Post by mikemike »

I have no complaints about this.

As far as the survival knives to, I work at a Gerber dealer. They JUST switched ALL of their packaging for ALL Gerber pocket knives to include that stupid Bear Grylls logo. Wonder who they'll get now...
mampam

Post by mampam »

Has Brady Barr still got a job?
jayder85

Post by jayder85 »

This absolutely tickles me to death! I have never agreed with his methods of "self rescue". Now "Dual Survival" is made up of two individuals who's credibility I would have a much more difficult time disputing.
MaartenSFS

Post by MaartenSFS »

I know that he killed (and ate herps), but we have mutual friends (they served together) and he is the real deal. He's far from the only or the best, but he is an amazing climber. I doubt that the actions of this man or most people watching his programme impacts snake populations.. I actually prefer Dual Survival and Ray Mears over his because of Discovery's editing that promotes (and sponsors) Bear being superhuman over teaching people how to survive. It can be hard to watch, but if that's what you need to do to survive when the sh!t hits the fan..
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

jayder85 wrote:"Dual Survival" is made up of two individuals who's credibility I would have a much more difficult time disputing.
And it's funnier. For all his Britishness, Mr. Grylls seriously lacks in the humor department.
crocdoc

Post by crocdoc »

MaartenSFS wrote:I doubt that the actions of this man or most people watching his programme impacts snake populations..
I don't think anyone is saying that his actions will impact snake populations (even with the copycat viewers out there following in his footsteps). However, the main point for me is that I think the idea of killing animals purely for entertainment is abhorrent. He doesn't need those animals to survive and if he wants to show people how to survive, all he needs to do is point at a lizard/snake and say "If you're starving, those make for a good meal. Just grab it by the tail and dash its brains out on a tree". Yes, I know the argument - that wouldn't get the same ratings. Which brings us back to:
crocdoc wrote:I think the idea of killing wildlife for entertainment is abhorrent.
:)
millside wrote:does that mean my Bear Grylls survival knife will be a collectors item now.
Apparently Westinghouse is putting out a line of Bear Grylls survival motel bar fridges.
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

MaartenSFS wrote:I know that he killed (and ate herps), but we have mutual friends (they served together) and he is the real deal. He's far from the only or the best, but he is an amazing climber.
I've never understood why being skilled at one thing should factor into a completely unrelated topic.

MaartenSFS wrote:I doubt that the actions of this man or most people watching his programme impacts snake populations.
I'm more concerned with the attitude it encourages towards herps and the ethical question of killing for entertainment.

MaartenSFS wrote:I actually prefer Dual Survival and Ray Mears over his because of Discovery's editing that promotes (and sponsors) Bear being superhuman over teaching people how to survive.
I only saw one episode of Dual Survival (with my host family in India, actually!), but I preferred it too. I also preferred Survivorman.

MaartenSFS wrote:It can be hard to watch, but if that's what you need to do to survive when the sh!t hits the fan..
I'm sure you feel that it's sometimes necessary to kill another human to survive too. Does that mean you'd support doing it for entertainment on television? We're not watching what Bear does when the "sh!t hits the fan". We're watching him attempt to entertain people for money.

p.s. - actually, my biggest issue with the show was that it was crap advice about survival. he took unnecessary risks. In a real survival situation, you make every possible effort not to do stupid crap that will get your ankle broken or your knee blown out, because then you're screwed.
Serpentes

Post by Serpentes »

My biggest issue was with how he'd spend and hour exhausting himself and using all his energy doing something like knocking pine cones out of a tree, and then talk about how little nutriment was provided by them... but it was entertaining :lol:
Mark Brown

Post by Mark Brown »

jonathan wrote:I only saw one episode of Dual Survival (with my host family in India, actually!), but I preferred it too. I also preferred Survivorman.
Same here - I really enjoy Les Stroud's Survivorman. Dual Survival is pretty good, too, though I think the one guy's kind of a knothead for going barefoot everywhere. Grylls....well, not so much.
justinm

Post by justinm »

mikemike wrote:I have no complaints about this.

As far as the survival knives to, I work at a Gerber dealer. They JUST switched ALL of their packaging for ALL Gerber pocket knives to include that stupid Bear Grylls logo. Wonder who they'll get now...

The reviews on Amazon weren't very good for these knives. Kind of like the reviews for the show.
Daryl Eby

Post by Daryl Eby »

Hans Breuer (twoton) wrote:And it's funnier. For all his Britishness, Mr. Grylls seriously lacks in the humor department.
I'm holding out for "Monty Python: Survive This"
Joe Farah

Post by Joe Farah »

Daryl Eby wrote:
Hans Breuer (twoton) wrote:And it's funnier. For all his Britishness, Mr. Grylls seriously lacks in the humor department.
"Look... strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government"
jimoo742

Post by jimoo742 »

Joe Farah wrote:
Daryl Eby wrote:
"Look... strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government"

Watching the primaries in the U.S. going on now, I can see the arguments for the mythical sword poll method.
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

jimoo742 wrote:
Joe Farah wrote:
Daryl Eby wrote:I'm holding out for "Monty Python: Survive This"
Watching the primaries in the U.S. going on now, I can see the arguments for the mythical sword poll method.

One of my facebook friends recently posted this for the same reason:

jimoo742

Post by jimoo742 »

awesome
I'll register for that party
pete

Post by pete »

This country does need a watery tart to choose a leader!!!