Sometimes I can't help myself....

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Post Reply
User avatar
KingCam
Posts: 1020
Joined: April 11th, 2011, 12:03 pm

Sometimes I can't help myself....

Post by KingCam » March 14th, 2012, 1:43 pm

How do you all handle situations like this? I lost my temper this time around.

Image

The only reason I really posted this was to vent to some like minded people, since I couldn't "freely" express myself on my aunt's facebook page :P

User avatar
Kelly Mc
Posts: 4314
Joined: October 18th, 2011, 12:03 pm

Re: Sometimes I can't help myself....

Post by Kelly Mc » March 14th, 2012, 2:07 pm

" The kids were scared . . "

So now the kids being scared of snakes has been topped off with a big indelible dollop of : So Kill Them.

Morons breeding freely.

mikemike
Posts: 1207
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 12:37 pm
Location: Ft. Smith, Arkansas
Contact:

Re: Sometimes I can't help myself....

Post by mikemike » March 14th, 2012, 2:13 pm

I've dealt with it too much. I usually just express my point in one comment now and be done with it.

User avatar
ThatFrogGuy
Posts: 743
Joined: April 15th, 2011, 12:29 pm
Location: Southern Indiana
Contact:

Re: Sometimes I can't help myself....

Post by ThatFrogGuy » March 14th, 2012, 2:15 pm

Don't hold your tongue! I will bash anyone for saying something like that, especially family/friends since they know me and should know better.

User avatar
KingCam
Posts: 1020
Joined: April 11th, 2011, 12:03 pm

Re: Sometimes I can't help myself....

Post by KingCam » March 14th, 2012, 2:19 pm

mikemike wrote:I've dealt with it too much. I usually just express my point in one comment now and be done with it.
I'll have to practice staying calm enough to do that. :lol:
ThatFrogGuy wrote:Don't hold your tongue! I will bash anyone for saying something like that, especially family/friends since they know me and should know better.
I guess I'm still quiet about it because when I was growing up you were abnormal if you didn't think it was normal to kill snakes on sight. It made me sick to my stomach, but I learned to stay quiet to avoid being that "weird kid."

...although, I was always that weird kid, anyway :lol: :beer:

User avatar
Brandon D
Posts: 203
Joined: April 27th, 2011, 2:50 pm
Location: Belton, Mo
Contact:

Re: Sometimes I can't help myself....

Post by Brandon D » March 14th, 2012, 4:29 pm

Most the time "kids" will mock the reaction of there parental figures, I dought the kids were afraid of the snakes more like the commotion and hysteria of the parental figures that scared them. The "kids" is the only way we can change societys outlook on snakes. I often have to deall with people talking about how they had to kill a rattlesnake because they have dogs or any other lame excuse, I recently got in to it with some people from work who said rattlesnake round ups are good for snakes, they said its just like deer hunting :roll: you have to thin there numbers which creates a healthier population...right Its impossible for some people to see things on our level, most often I bite my tongue in a lot of these situations but a lot of times I have to say something.
I got a lot of crap about this photo
of my 1st daughter with a racer especially from my fiance :lol:
Image
It's been 2 years since that pic and my fiance is now a lot more understanding of snakes and my hobbie, she was one that did not like snakes more like she didn't understand them, she still doesnt want to join me in my favorite hobby but she does "allow" me to pursue it(I think she reallized this was one area I could not be changed).
and any one who says kids are afraid of snakes should check this photo out, I know grown men that would definately not handle this type of snake which most of whom declare it a cottonmouth
Image

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 351
Joined: June 9th, 2010, 6:17 am

Re: Sometimes I can't help myself....

Post by Warren » March 15th, 2012, 2:24 am

People have an emotional feeling about snakes. You cannot resolve an emotional issue by providing facts.
This is complicated by the fact that some snakes are dangerous, and the fact that primates have an instinctive predisposition to fear snakes.
This predisposition can be easily overridden through exposure to snakes.
The method for reducing emotional reactions is too long and complex to describe here. I am writing a paper on it and surfing the forum as a way of procrastinating.
Is that sufficiently condescending? Because I can do better! :D :D :D

Love,

The Troll

jimoo742
Posts: 546
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 2:43 pm

Re: Sometimes I can't help myself....

Post by jimoo742 » March 15th, 2012, 4:45 am

They came out of a "seller"? Who was selling them? Couldn't you just ask the seller to remove his inventory from the house?

User avatar
justinm
Posts: 3430
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 4:26 am
Location: Illinois
Contact:

Re: Sometimes I can't help myself....

Post by justinm » March 15th, 2012, 5:22 am

Brandon,

My youngest is in that same car seat, and I let the older boy handle snakes. I don't know that a Prairie Mamba, aka Racer would be the snake I would let either play with. They've taken their share of blood from me.

lashinala2
Posts: 93
Joined: June 15th, 2010, 4:23 am
Location: Huntsville, Alabama

Re: Sometimes I can't help myself....

Post by lashinala2 » March 15th, 2012, 5:28 am

Facebook scares me a lot more than snakes.....JMHO

User avatar
brick911
Posts: 3488
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 8:52 am
Location: Morrisville, PA

Re: Sometimes I can't help myself....

Post by brick911 » March 15th, 2012, 6:07 am

Brandon... those pics are great! haha. A freaking racer, and your little girl holding a Nerodia that isn't looking very happy! :lol:

Cam... hang in there. If you ever need pics of kids holding snakes, hit me up. Just post a link of my two year old daughter holding a six foot pine (with a big smile on her face), then comment that kids are scared because they are following the lead of the parents. Period. Fear is taught. Respect should be the lesson. Hit me up on FB if you need a link.

User avatar
KingCam
Posts: 1020
Joined: April 11th, 2011, 12:03 pm

Re: Sometimes I can't help myself....

Post by KingCam » March 15th, 2012, 6:26 am

Brandon D wrote:Most the time "kids" will mock the reaction of there parental figures, I dought the kids were afraid of the snakes more like the commotion and hysteria of the parental figures that scared them. The "kids" is the only way we can change societys outlook on snakes.
Agreed. Neither of my parents really knew anything about snakes, but I got lucky. My mom was adamant about introducing me to nature, and recognized how ridiculous most people's reaction to snakes was. She always encouraged me to look at snakes and other wildlife. I was OBSESSED with collecting insects in my early childhood XD My dad desperately wanted me to be athletic like he was, but it just wasn't going to happen, LOL. I hated playing sports. He put me in soccer and I would stop playing in the middle of the game to stop and catch bugs or pick dandelions. :lol: So instead of fighting it, my dad, being the AWESOME guy that he is, totally supported me in my hobbies. What's cool is that my dad IS mildly scared of snakes, but he always tried to pretend like he wasn't so I wouldn't be :P

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make with that long winded personal history is this; Even people who know next to nothing about snakes can recognize how irrational it is to be scared of them, and raise their kids to have more respect for nature, even the "scary" animals.
Brandon D wrote:I often have to deall with people talking about how they had to kill a rattlesnake because they have dogs or any other lame excuse
God, I get that CONSTANTLY! I hate hate hate that "excuse"
Brandon D wrote:I recently got in to it with some people from work who said rattlesnake round ups are good for snakes, they said its just like deer hunting :roll: you have to thin there numbers which creates a healthier population...
Wow. :roll: Reminds me of a conversation someone tried to have with me at work about how many rattlesnakes they were able to kill with a bulldozer, gasoline, and fire.
Brandon D wrote:I got a lot of crap about this photo
of my 1st daughter with a racer especially from my fiance :lol:
[removed image for space]
It's been 2 years since that pic and my fiance is now a lot more understanding of snakes and my hobbie, she was one that did not like snakes more like she didn't understand them, she still doesnt want to join me in my favorite hobby but she does "allow" me to pursue it(I think she reallized this was one area I could not be changed).
lol, that was risky using a racer :P I remember seeing you catch a bit of shit on the facebook comments for it.
Brandon D wrote:and any one who says kids are afraid of snakes should check this photo out, I know grown men that would definately not handle this type of snake which most of whom declare it a cottonmouth
Until I joined this forum I didn't know a single grown man who wouldn't shoot that snake on sight.
Warren wrote:Is that sufficiently condescending? Because I can do better! :D :D :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:
jimoo742 wrote:They came out of a "seller"? Who was selling them? Couldn't you just ask the seller to remove his inventory from the house?
:lol: :beer: :lol:
brick911 wrote:Cam... hang in there. If you ever need pics of kids holding snakes, hit me up. Just post a link of my two year old daughter holding a six foot pine (with a big smile on her face), then comment that kids are scared because they are following the lead of the parents. Period. Fear is taught. Respect should be the lesson. Hit me up on FB if you need a link.
Thanks man. I'll probably leave this one alone for now. The argument has pretty much come to and end, plus I just found out I'm related to the lady I was arguing with :lol: :lol: God help me. :crazyeyes:

User avatar
Mike VanValen
Posts: 2073
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 3:41 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: Sometimes I can't help myself....

Post by Mike VanValen » March 15th, 2012, 8:42 am

It's an unfortunate reality. I was raised to respect ALL animals and I happened to latch onto herps before I could walk. My parents let me chase lizards around the house in Florida and brought me to watch gators being fed. They didn't freak when I brought garters home, instead they let me keep them for a while.

I don't have kids but I taught my niece to respect and enjoy wild animals when she was a baby. She's now a 13 year old budding herper down in South Carolina. I'm proud of her.

Anyways, the "kids and pets" excuse is tired and I'm sick of hearing it. The condescending attitude about killing snakes is unmatched, even when it comes to rodents. There's a sick humor involved when people brag about killing snakes but as soon as they're called out they pull the excuses out of their ass to justify the senseless acts.

All we can do is educate those around us and hope for the best.

jimoo742
Posts: 546
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 2:43 pm

Re: Sometimes I can't help myself....

Post by jimoo742 » March 15th, 2012, 9:12 am

Mike VanValen wrote:

Anyways, the "kids and pets" excuse is tired and I'm sick of hearing it. The condescending attitude about killing snakes is unmatched, even when it comes to rodents.

Cosigned. I was a guest at an organic dairy farm in VT with a ladyfriend (who was good friends with the owners) and somehow timbers came up. She unabashedly stated she had four small boys and a dog and wanted them wiped out of VT. They "could live in New York" or anywhere else.

From an otherwise progressive, intelligent person it was a shock and infuriating. Considering the social situation I bit my tongue and changed the topic. Ugh. Still fires me up.

Paul White
Posts: 2288
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 8:52 pm
Location: Amarillo, Texas

Re: Sometimes I can't help myself....

Post by Paul White » March 15th, 2012, 10:27 am

I often have to deall with people talking about how they had to kill a rattlesnake because they have dogs or any other lame excuse
Depends on where the snake is. I don't really object to someone killing a diamondback that's living on/under the porch or in the garage. if it's in the back 40? Why not just leave it alone? Given how ineffective relocation is, and the regional abundance of them, I can't fault a person that elects to kill or remove one from thier immediate vicinity. I may be setting myself up for tar and feathers here, but I don't expect a non snake person to go out of thier way to share immediate space with a potentially dangerous animal.

User avatar
Brandon D
Posts: 203
Joined: April 27th, 2011, 2:50 pm
Location: Belton, Mo
Contact:

Re: Sometimes I can't help myself....

Post by Brandon D » March 16th, 2012, 3:40 am

justinm wrote:Brandon,

My youngest is in that same car seat, and I let the older boy handle snakes. I don't know that a Prairie Mamba, aka Racer would be the snake I would let either play with. They've taken their share of blood from me.
Ha yeah usually I wouldn't think about either of these snakes being best for the first snake someone holds in there life, the pic of my daughter about 2 years ago was a cool morning I had taken her with me as I looked for morels one of my morel spots has a nice open hill with a few rocks you have to pass before getting to the morel beds. I found the racer and she was cool to the touch and very calm showing no signs of aggression whatsoever and no attempt to escape, which every now and then some racers can be this way. My daughter seemed to enjoy nature that being the reason I took her in the first place so I thought she would enjoy checking it out, which she did thoroughly I had to take it away from her when she tried to put it in her mouth though lol.

My niece is holding the water snake I just told her how to hold it and support it and told her usually if you hold a snake that way and not constrain them they will not bite you, and luckily in my case it didn't lol
:beer:

Post Reply