Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Brian Hubbs

I LOVE New Jersey...

Post by Brian Hubbs »

gone herpin

Re: I LOVE New Jersey...

Post by gone herpin »

There are no words to describe this. Can we please just nuke them? Just a little bit :thumb:
dragoncjo

Post by dragoncjo »

This sort of behavior is restricted to a very small pocket in central jersey and ny. Its as foreign to me in SJ as it is to someone in California. I don't think anyone takes them seriously. I didn't even know this existed until I went to Rutgers, it still totally dumbfounds me.
intermedius

Post by intermedius »

dragoncjo wrote:This sort of behavior is restricted to a very small pocket in central jersey and ny. Its as foreign to me in SJ as it is to someone in California. I don't think anyone takes them seriously. I didn't even know this existed until I went to Rutgers, it still totally dumbfounds me.
This sort of behavior is always a stereotype of us NJ's. There are only a few "populations" that usually live in the coastal regions of the state. It drives me crazy on what reality shows do to people. :evil: . The rest of us are just like anyone else and enjoy races, herping and their own true aspirations like me. :D
intermedius

Post by intermedius »

gone herpin wrote:There are no words to describe this. Can we please just nuke them? Just a little bit :thumb:
Wait. . . That means we get to blow up Snookie. best idea ever! :beer: :thumb: :lol: .
Lt.Mike

Post by Lt.Mike »

gone herpin wrote:There are no words to describe this.
Oh ya...actually there is!
Those of us that actually live along the Jersey shore refer to them as Bennys. "Bennys go home" is the usual catch phrase.
Bennys are visitors from up north and do not represent those that live here. True they bring income to the shore but they are obnoxious.
I do not mean to offend because not all from up north of us are Bennys. In fact few are. But those few stand out.
If you are not an obnoxious, rude, drunken idiot, you are not a Bennie and are most certainly welcome.
That damned TV show makes us look bad.
Please know that every summer brings them and that is what we have to contend with.
Chris, I believe down your way you call them "Shoobies" :thumb: ( a few municipal workers got jammed up last summer for displaying bumper stickers saying "shoebies go home") :lol:

This link sums it up pretty well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benny_%28slang%29

Oh ya, I went out to snap a quick pic... ;)
gone herpin

Post by gone herpin »

intermedius wrote:
gone herpin wrote:There are no words to describe this. Can we please just nuke them? Just a little bit :thumb:
Wait. . . That means we get to blow up Snookie. best idea ever! :beer: :thumb: :lol: .
Believe it or not Snookie is actually very smart, she is currently in veterinary school. But we can still blow her up :thumb:
gone herpin

Post by gone herpin »

gone herpin wrote:
intermedius wrote:
Hell yeah we can still blow her up :thumb: and Mike that is awesome! good for you guys, Jersey is a beautiful state I wish I got there more. Stay strong I know you arn't all Bennys!
dragoncjo

Post by dragoncjo »

Yes Mike, I grew up with them known as shoobies. Anyone who was not a local or own a shore house was consider a shoobie. I knew and still know nothing about bennies. The contrast between central jersey beaches and south jersey is so amazing it hard to believe sometimes.

Some day when I retire I'm going to write a book on people in NJ from a field guide perspective.
Lt.Mike

Post by Lt.Mike »

dragoncjo wrote: Some day when I retire I'm going to write a book on people in NJ from a field guide perspective.
:lol: That's already been done!
Read through this link, its bad but funny as heck. :thumb:
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/1 ... ies_a.html

Oh and here's your range map :D

http://media.nj.com/ledgerupdates_impac ... d38bb7.jpg

I apologize to anyone this may offend but this was in the press and I probably fall in a category or two here.
Hey you've got to be able to laugh at yourself!
sstaedtler

Post by sstaedtler »

LT. Mike,

That map you have of New Jersey with all the stereotypes is funny as heck. The funny thing is, I asked my cousins and a few other people from Jersey how accurate it was, and they pretty much said the student who did it was near dead on accurate.
Lt.Mike

Post by Lt.Mike »

sstaedtler wrote:LT. Mike,

That map you have of New Jersey with all the stereotypes is funny as heck. The funny thing is, I asked my cousins and a few other people from Jersey how accurate it was, and they pretty much said the student who did it was near dead on accurate.
Ya, I know. Like I said, you've got to be able to laugh at yourself.
swwit

Post by swwit »

For 16 years I worked in north and central Jersey. Now I work in central and south Jersey and they are there too. lol :crazyeyes:
Lt.Mike

Post by Lt.Mike »

Believe it or not Snookie is actually very smart, she is currently in veterinary school
Gee dear, guess it may be time to take our Pomeranian "Pookie" to Dr. Snookie to get neutered. :roll: :lol:
http://www.superpages.com/bp/Lakewood-N ... 734714.htm
intermedius

Post by intermedius »

this thread is hysterical :lol:
Kari Post

Post by Kari Post »

I'm from NJ (the area of the "well to do conservatives" although I'm certainly not one of them), and NJ gets a really bad rap. Some of it deserved, most of it not. Anyway, just don't nuke the whole state. Some beautiful areas exist there and some cool people too! Oh and that range map is pretty darn accurate.
gone herpin

Post by gone herpin »

Oh I certainly know that, I just wanted to hit the little bit thats given you guys a bad wrap :thumb:
Jeffreyrichard

Post by Jeffreyrichard »

The "Jersey Shore Bennies" have nothing (or more appropriately "nuttin' ...) on Rhode Islanders ... we call 'em Guidos. They are a large segment of the population here, so there is no escape. In the summer, they congregate at a beach in "South County" which is named Scahhh-bah-oh Beach ... that's Scarborough for the rest of us. There was even a song written by Simon and Garfunkle about it ... " Ah youse goin' to Scahhh-bah-oh Beach? Tony, Vin and Rocco ah dere ...".

Fun fact about RI ... there are 472 "hair dvessahs fumm Cvanstin named Chevil" ... Translation: 472 hair dressers from Cranston named Cheryl ... Big Hair rules

YO!
MarcLinsalata

Post by MarcLinsalata »

These people are actually more intelligent and real than the Manhattan/Hermosa surfing frat beach tards that populate my area :roll:
millside

Post by millside »

so not only am I a LECH, now I am also a BENNY. holy cow, I just can't win anymore. :lol:
Dennis Wasko

Post by Dennis Wasko »

Jersey is fantastic. After surviving guidos, White Castle, and Action Park, there isn't much life can throw at me that I can't handle.
millside

Post by millside »

Dennis, you must be very old, action park has not been around for years, its Mountain Creek now. haha
and the alpine slide is gone too.
Dennis Wasko

Post by Dennis Wasko »

It still lives on in my heart.
intermedius

Post by intermedius »

I would die if white castle shut down.
Jeffreyrichard

Post by Jeffreyrichard »

Yo ... How YOU Doin?
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

millside wrote:Dennis, you must be very old, action park has not been around for years, its Mountain Creek now. haha
Hey now, I'm 34 but I remember Action Park fondly. Or should I say Traction Park? Class Action (Lawsuit) Park? Oh, the memories.

The alpine slide is gone because they could never clean the human skin and blood off the pavement.
millside

Post by millside »

haha, I worked on the alpine slide for a year,
I would ask people that crashed, do you want to take some of your skin home with you.
ahh, the good old days.
Lt.Mike

Post by Lt.Mike »

millside wrote:so not only am I a LECH, now I am also a BENNY. holy cow, I just can't win anymore. :lol:
:shock: :arrow:
I do not mean to offend because not all from up north of us are Bennys. In fact few are. But those few stand out.
If you are not an obnoxious, rude, drunken idiot, you are not a Bennie and are most certainly welcome.
Sorry Millside, don't think you qualify. ;) :lol:
Mike.
Lt.Mike

Post by Lt.Mike »

Mike VanValen wrote:
millside wrote:Dennis, you must be very old, action park has not been around for years, its Mountain Creek now. haha
Hey now, I'm 34 but I remember Action Park fondly. Or should I say Traction Park? Class Action (Lawsuit) Park? Oh, the memories.

The alpine slide is gone because they could never clean the human skin and blood off the pavement.
I remember action park too and what I remember most was how easy it was to hurt yourself there if you were inclined to do so...and I was, still am. :D
Remember the signs at the top of the alpine slide showing all the people with slide rash? Didn't scare us. :lol:
Oh and I remember going to Jungle Habitat too! :thumb:
Dennis Wasko

Post by Dennis Wasko »

Lt.Mike wrote:I remember action park too and what I remember most was how easy it was to hurt yourself there if you were inclined to do so...and I was, still am. :D
Remember the signs at the top of the alpine slide showing all the people with slide rash? Didn't scare us. :lol:
Oh and I remember going to Jungle Habitat too! :thumb:
That was the thing about Action Park... it was just built before the onset of safety requirements, personal lawsuits, and, apparently, common sense. Nowadays amusement parks are all about redundant security measure upon redundant security measure... at Action Park, if you really wanted to fling yourself out of the waterslide and plummet onto the jagged rocks 30 feet below, you were welcome to do so.

When I was a kid, my mission in life was to one day ride that 360° looping waterslide, but I don't remember the damn thing ever being actually open. I did like the one waterslide where you rode on rubber mats, with like 5 or 6 lanes (separated by a divider about 3" high) that ran at once. But it was designed by the same madman as everything else, so the only possible results were 1) you fell off the mat and just tumbled awkwardly down the slide, 2) you flew out of your lane and crashed into somebody else, or 3) you completely overshot the landing area and crashed full-speed into the (barely) padded wall.

What a great place.
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

Action Park was one of the first waterparks in the country. It was pretty much a prototype.

The looped waterslide, as I've heard, was built in 1980. The story is that the test dummies kept coming out of the ride headless with twisted limbs. I have heard several stories that the ride was open briefly through the years and they would go around the park asking if anyone wanted to ride. I've also heard employees were bribed to test it out.

It remained standing until Action Park closed in 1996. I remember seeing it and wondering why anyone would attempt to ride that nightmare. Even as a 15 year old I knew that thing was a death trap.

Almost every ride was mind-bogglingly unsafe. The Aqua-scoot was one such ride where you just sat on a plastic sled and were pushed down a slide on steel rollers which then shot you into a pool at the bottom where you were supposed to skid across the surface. Your safety was completely up to you, because if you let go you would slam back into the steel rollers. I actually saw that happen once. A woman fell back, smacked her head on the slide and slid all the way down, landing face first in the water unconscious.

The "lifeguards" were busy talking to friends so several patrons has to jump in and get the lady out. Just another day at Action Park!

Did I mention the place was built in the mountains? Yup, you had to conquer steep hills and pray against heat stroke just to get to the next ride.

But perhaps the most brilliant feature of Action Park was the fact that you could buy alcohol! Alcohol + very unsafe water rides + deep pools....well, you get the idea.

And yes, there were six reported fatalities at Action Park during its run.

Despite all that I would love to go back and do it again one more time. The stubbed toes, road rash and heat stroke were worth it.
Lt.Mike

Post by Lt.Mike »

Me too :thumb:
But not the kamikaze. Nope want no part of that one.
:shock:
That was the water slide that you would lay down on, cross your legs and arms and drop through that slide straight down barely touching anything till you skipped across the water at the bottom like a rocket sled coming to a stop.

I remember daring my friends to go but that back fired when they said, oh ya? You go!
:shock: Damn.
:o A Ok.
Up I went, there were two lines one to the 50" drop and one to the 100' drop.
Nobody went to the 100' drop... :roll: ...I did.
I got to the top and it was just me and the ride girl who had one of those tanning reflectors.
I balked and looked over the drop, :shock: oh sh**!
I looked at my friends and knew I had to go.
So over I went, dropped at like 100mph and hit the bottom skipping like a stone as I came to a stop.
It was like getting spanked, hard.

Then the humility came when I stood up.
There was a line of girls along the fence whooping and whistling.
All that skipping had jammed 99% of my swim trunks up my backside. :oops: That and half the water too. :o
Sadly I remember that incident like it was yesterday.
Nope, on that ride I pass.