Gecko Repellent...wtf?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Hans Breuer (twoton)

Gecko Repellent...wtf?

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) » March 29th, 2012, 4:19 am

Houses in the inner tropics literally crawl with immense numbers of geckos. I always thought the Malaysians love their chichaks (so named after their call), because they eat tons of mozzies.

But now I find this in a supermarket. What gives???

Daryl Eby

Re: Gecko Repellent...wtf?

Post by Daryl Eby » March 29th, 2012, 4:39 am

We have lots of Mediterranean Geckos outside our house and they occasionally find their way inside. I had almost convinced Janet to allow them to stay inside. Her tolerance for indoor geckos ended when one crawled across her face in the middle of the night. Scared the bleep out of her.

Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) » March 29th, 2012, 4:48 am

Daryl Eby wrote:Her tolerance for indoor geckos ended when one crawled across her face in the middle of the night. Scared the bleep out of her.
I can see that...They're everywhere inside here. They breed in the A/C and shit all over the walls and curtains. Still, nothing a broom can't remove.

intermedius

Post by intermedius » March 29th, 2012, 5:54 am

When I went to Tropical Brazil, I found many geckos near my hotel. They are pretty much like stinkbugs in the U.S, except without the smell. :lol: . For a regular civillian, it's a nightmare but for me, It is just a blessing.

Daryl Eby

Post by Daryl Eby » March 29th, 2012, 6:13 am

We usually have the boys try to catch them and move them outside. Janet even joins in on the fun sometimes. These are the only herp species she has ever captured or attempted to capture. If they are on the ceiling, I'll sometimes shoot them off with a rubber band while the boys stand below and try to catch them as they fall. The entertainment far outweighs any inconvenience.

Do you know if this spray kills them, or just repels them? If it is truly non-toxic, it might not be a bad idea (for non herp lovers) to spray around the frames of exterior doors and other points of entry. If it harms or kills them, no way.

justinm

Post by justinm » March 29th, 2012, 6:30 am

In my travels outside the US I always welcomed the little Geckos. I figured the Geckos will keep the bugs down, in the room.

Jason B

Post by Jason B » March 29th, 2012, 6:33 am

The stuff probably works like the powdered snake repellents; fumes prevent the animal from sticking around an area where the chemical is applied. It amazes me there's enough people frightened by harmless animals to drive this product market.

Coluber Constrictor

Post by Coluber Constrictor » March 29th, 2012, 4:25 pm

That Snake Slayer ad is literally the worst thing I have ever seen my life. :lol:

intermedius

Post by intermedius » March 29th, 2012, 4:33 pm

Coluber Constrictor wrote:That Snake Slayer ad is literally the worst thing I have ever seen my life. :lol:
Just terrible the way people have such overkill for snakes. Everyone here knows that only 75 out of the three thousand or so snakes out there can produce a fatal bite. Such nonsense of people.