Herp Book Data Trip to CA end of April (21-26)

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

PNWHerper

Herp Book Data Trip to CA end of April (21-26)

Post by PNWHerper »

Hello All,

I am heading back through CA at the tail end of April to finish up the final data gathering for the year. I will be on my way to AZ (made a post requesting similar help in the AZ chapter section), but I still wanted to stop in a few places in CA so as to pick up data on some species I did not get to see on the trip in March. I am especially keen on getting data on the following species:

Salamanders

- CA Giant Salamander
- Coastal Giant Salamander
- Black Salamander
- Shasta Salamander
- CA Tiger salamander

Frogs/Toads

- Foothills yellow-legged frog
- CA Treefrog
- Western Spadefoot

Lizards

- Blunt-nosed leopard lizard
- Long-nosed leopard lizard
- Mearn's rock lizard
- Southern desert horned lizard
- Mojave desert fringe-toed lizard
- Gilbert's skink
- Long-tailed brush lizard

Snakes

- Northern Rubber Boa
- Mojave/Colorado Shovel-nosed snake
- California Striped Racer
- Western Yellow-bellied Racer
- Spotted leaf-nosed snake
- Long-nosed snake
- CA red-sided gartersnake
- Desert/SW Threadsnake

Turtles

- Pacific Pond Turtle

The Herp Tracking book is coming along wonderfully, and a significant amount of the data gathered was due to the help of experienced field herpers like many of you here. I am hoping to get some more help, especially with certain species I still really need data for. Some of my most important species are:

From NorCal

- the Shasta Salamander (Hydromantes sp. have really unique rear feet, hence, unique tracks).
- Northern Rubber Boa (heavy bodied, slow moving and likely leave fairly distinct tracks)
- CA/Coastal Giant Salamanders (Potentially huge, leave distinct tracks)
- Black Salamanders (can be large, relatively distinct feet for salamander of that size)
- CA Tiger Salamander (distinct feet, large size)
- Gilbert's skink (the largest skink in the region, distinct feet from most other lizards)

From Deserts

- Shovel-nosed snake (semi-fossorial)
- Threadsnake (fossorial, no enlarged ventral scales)
- Blunt-nosed/Long-nosed leopard lizard (a large lizard, with distinct feet, relatively common in appropriate habitat/range)
- Mojave fringe-toed lizards (feet distinct to the Uma genus, the most wide-ranging Uma sp.)

If you have recommendations for good locations to find these species, especially if you have boardlines or other reliable areas please share them with me via PM. I have expressed this many time, and will likely do so many times in the near future... all location info will be kept strictly confidential and not shared nor published. Same goes for any other information that is shared that you do not wish for me to share. The animals will not be harmed in any way, nor unnecessarily detained.

I respect and understand the need for privacy, secrecy and protection of locations and species. This is for a scientific work that is meant to benefit herps in general, so know that if you help you are contributing to valuable knowledge. :beer:

I may try to spend a couple of days in NorCal, and would love to get out with anyone who is willing to help. ;) :D

Please let me know what is possible and PM with details you wish to keep private.

If you have any of these animals in captivity and are willing to bring them out into the field, I can also use them for data gathering purposes. They need not be brought to the site of original capture or even within their native habitat/range, as this will not significantly change the tracks or trails themselves. The animals need only be allowed to move using their baseline (comfortable, "normal") movement patterns/methods.

Thanks again all! :thumb:

Fil
RobertH

Re: Herp Book Data Trip to CA end of April (21-26)

Post by RobertH »

Fil.

I'll pm you spots for the following species:

Long-Nosed Leopard Lizard
Banded Rock Lizard
Mojave Fringe-Toed Lizard

California Striped Racer
Colorado Shovel-Nosed Snake
Spotted Leaf-Nosed Snake

CA Tree Frog

Maybe, when you're down here, we can even hook up and go out in the field together.

Robert
Calfirecap

Post by Calfirecap »

FIL,
If you are in the Santa Cruz area this weekend we will be conducting a survey on Saturday the 7th and you would have a good chance of finding California Giant Salamanders and Northern Rubber Boas (2 from your list). If this doesn't work let me know and maybe we can set something else up.

Lawrence
PNWHerper

Post by PNWHerper »

If you are in the Santa Cruz area this weekend we will be conducting a survey on Saturday the 7th and you would have a good chance of finding California Giant Salamanders and Northern Rubber Boas (2 from your list). If this doesn't work let me know and maybe we can set something else up.
Lawrence,

Thanks for the offer. Would love to make it, but I will only likely be in NorCal April 21, 22, and maybe 23. I live and work in the Seattle area.

But, do let me know what you find and where! I will visit the same area if I can while I am down there.
I'll pm you spots for the following species:

Long-Nosed Leopard Lizard
Banded Rock Lizard
Mojave Fringe-Toed Lizard

California Striped Racer
Colorado Shovel-Nosed Snake
Spotted Leaf-Nosed Snake

CA Tree Frog

Maybe, when you're down here, we can even hook up and go out in the field together.
Robert,

I look forward to your PM! Would love to meet up and do a field outing if things work out.
PNWHerper

Post by PNWHerper »

Hi, all.

Just giving people a heads up that I am heading into the field tomorrow and starting the trip down South. I plan to go through CA, AZ and maybe even visit a part of NM.

Its been very, very difficult to plan for this trip as I am trying to get data on so many different species. I have had some excellent help on where to go and what to look for.

I am very torn about how to divide the time, and as much as I want to visit NorCal (Redwoods, San Fran/San Jose/Santa Cruz area) I may have to skip it this trip. It is so hard to not go there, but perhaps I can make a trip out that way next year. Sorry I can't meet up with any of you folks in NorCal, and hope that you herping goes wonderfully.

See ya'll around here in May,

Fil