Which Snake has the worst smelling musk?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Brendan Murray

Which Snake has the worst smelling musk?

Post by Brendan Murray »

I'm not sure if this topic has been posted before but thought it would be fun to get some thoughts. Since I'm relatively new to herping, I've only been musked on by watersnakes, garters, ringnecks and ratsnakes and IMO watersnake musk is the worst. Maybe because of the generous amount they like to divy out. Anyone else?
brick911

Re: Which Snake has the worst smelling musk?

Post by brick911 »

I want to put more thought into this before answering, but I think maybe this question could be two-fold. How about worst-smelling, and longest lasting? Because some seems to wash off easier. And to me, when my hands still smell seven washes later, that would be the worst.
millside

Post by millside »

I used to think ringnecks.
but now no doubt is the orange bellied litter snake. absolutely gut wrenching. :lol:
Darnell Brister

Post by Darnell Brister »

Ringnecks if you are in the U.S. Ughhh
Nick Scobel

Post by Nick Scobel »

For me, Queen Snakes are the worst. Even after several handwashes, the smell still persists for a day or more, it's awful.
bwaterherper

Post by bwaterherper »

Going to go with water snake on this one; not only is the smell terrible but the amount is ridiculous
TJP

Post by TJP »

I've always found northern ringneck's to be really pungent, especially the monsters we have in NY. They seem to be way bigger and more aromatic than the northern's I've found in other states or the southern's I've found. Water snakes and garter's can be pretty stanky, too. The worst was a large, wild boa constrictor we found in Costa Rica. You could smell it from 20 or 30 feet away. That was one funky ass snake....
ThatFrogGuy

Post by ThatFrogGuy »

Black rats, by far. I've found that they musk every time I find one, but water snakes not so much. It smells far worse than Nerodia too, IMO.
brick911

Post by brick911 »

Ok, I'm going to say ringnecks for pure stink. Rat snakes smell the longest. I mean like overnight/three showers still smelling. At least on me. If I get musked by a rat, I try to get a bad sunburn to just have the skin peel off. It's like sulphur and sewer all in one.
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

I always found brown snakes to be vile. But last year I got watersnake musk in my mouth and the psychological damage is permanent.
brick911

Post by brick911 »

Honestly. That's gross to even think about. I'm sorry for your hardship.
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

But last year I got watersnake musk in my mouth
Oh. My. God.
I can't even imagine.
MassHorridus

Post by MassHorridus »

best topic ever watersnakes are my vote
mosyvenomrox

Post by mosyvenomrox »

All nerodias. smells nasty and NEVER comes off!!! Its even worse when they bite and musk because I'm scared of the stuff getting in my blood stream... :shock:
Carl Brune

Post by Carl Brune »

I'd say ringnecks are the worst, particular considering the pound-for-pound factor. I usually wind up wiping it on my shirt. Then, when I work up a sweat several hours later, I get to experience it all over again. I find ratsnake musk to have a rather pleasing aroma. I also had the good fortune recently to experience some hognose musk, that was pretty vile.
Brendan Murray

Post by Brendan Murray »

Carl Brune wrote: I find ratsnake musk to have a rather pleasing aroma.
Really?
DMong

Post by DMong »

Brendan Murray wrote:
Carl Brune wrote: I find ratsnake musk to have a rather pleasing aroma.
Really?

HAHAHA!!!,...my thoughts as well :lol:

I will say that Mandarin ratsnake musk was the least offensive musk that comes to mind. It sort of reminded me of freshly-cut grass clippings... but the obsoletus complex freakin wreaks to high-heaven!!.. :mrgreen:

~Doug
incuhead2000

Post by incuhead2000 »

brahminy blind snake for true...these tiny little things REEK!
spllogics

Post by spllogics »

Rings get my vote. Though Nick is right queens are bad imo also.

If you ever have trouble with washing off the smell try toothpaste. Though most the time a little creek sand works if I am near one, a nice exfoliation.
WW**

Post by WW** »

European Natrix take some beating, especially in terms of persistence. Even the next day, with most of your skin scrubbed off, you still get to savour the sweet smell of herping success every time you bring your hands near your face to take a bite out of your sandwich....
chrisr

Post by chrisr »

The musk from this guy/gal was truly heinous: Image
joecop

Post by joecop »

Great topic. I don't post much but felt compelled to join in on this. I have had the ringnecks, garters, rat snakes, water snakes, ect. from the east coast, but nothing, and I mean nothing, comes close to a rubber boa's musk. I tried washing it off with not much luck. The smell is so bad that even I, a retired police officer from Washington DC, who spent five years in crime scene work, can't stand it. THAT is bad.. LOL Just my two cents and my opinion, but I have yet to see any other snake stack up in the musk department. :)
I guess when you don't have any other defense but a fake/head tail mother nature gives you some nasty musk odor.

Joe
herper1

Post by herper1 »

wow, good topic. Someone commented on how it tastes? I dont even understand how you can get that in your mouth, but OK. I have not delt with all snakes. Someone suggested Queens, and I have never caught one. My vote is for the good old fashion Garter. Smells the worst, seems like there is more then most snakes, and for me, if I get bit it swells and hurts more then most snakes. I wonder if different people have different reactions to bites and musk from different spieces?
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

herper1 wrote:wow, good topic. Someone commented on how it tastes? I dont even understand how you can get that in your mouth, but OK.
That was me, unfortunately. A spastic watersnake doing a death roll, spraying musk into the air near my open mouth is how it happens.
brick911

Post by brick911 »

Lol. That's so gross.
gone herpin

Post by gone herpin »

I'd put my money on the Northern Water Snake. Just the combination of writhing, musking and biting makes them a bear to handle. Also man does their musk reak! Great topic!
EyezOfTheWorld

Post by EyezOfTheWorld »

Ok....... ringnecks take the cake for most thick pundgent smell. The littlest bit will keep you gagging all day .
Also ratsnake musk seems to be very thick and long lasting after every wash.
Watersnakes are downright nasty sewage hoses
And kingsnakes have a thick musk almost like a ratsnake

Although the friendly reminder of a succesful day is the smell of musk .....I do not look forward to getting it in my mouth ....I'm begining to think there was some foul play .ha
Kelenken

Post by Kelenken »

Yesterday I got musked by a DeKay's for the first time. It actually smelled sorta nice, or at least really inoffensive. I was shocked.
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

King Rat (Elaphe carinata). The Chinese don't call it the "Stinky Goddess" for no reason.
elaphe365

Post by elaphe365 »

I say garters and waters easily. Altho black rats musk is beggening to bother me as well! lmao
beemaster

Post by beemaster »

Anybody ever been musked by a western fox snake? I keep a pair and, while they are tame as kittens and don't attempt to musk, the odors they produce every time they mess up their cage is worse than any other snake I've ever kept, including Nerodia. I'd have to imagine they are pretty high in the running for worst odors. I've heard Eastern indigos are also pretty bad.

As for musk, it's a toss up to me; Nerodia have such a strong, pungent, dead-fish kind of musk going on and they produce soooooo much of it. I'm calling Diadophis the worst, though. They produce an odor that is pungent, sickly-sweet, and just as powerful as that of a large Nerodia despite being several factors smaller. When I was a kid I used to catch a ton of brown snakes and those are pretty bad, too, but the smell washes off easily. Not so much with ringnecks and water snakes. Thamnophis musk lingers past several hand washes, too, but it doesn't reek as bad as Nerodia and Diadophis do.
Kari Post

Post by Kari Post »

This topic is awesome.

This is also the reason I usually let someone else pick up the snakes first. Unless no one else around is willing, which happens most of the time, and then I'll pick it up if its not too big and doesn't seem too warm and feisty. The problem is I often find cool species when backpacking, and getting musked badly when your next shower is at least a week away is no fun, no fun at all.
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Rosy Boas and Blind Snakes...

Water Snakes or garter snakes have NOTHING on either species, IMO..

Fundad