What a night.

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Don Becker

What a night.

Post by Don Becker »

Caught six milk snakes today, but that wasn't the best part of the day at all. I had to gather some frogs for a class I am giving on Tuesday. Isaiah and I went out to Wickiup to gather up some of the last frogs I needed. We got there just before sun down, and heard a hand full of Spring Peepers and Treefrogs calling. I already have a treefrog, but needed a peeper, so Isaiah and I both picked one, and tried to track them down. As I sat ankle deep in water, listening for one single frog, the sun slowly set, and with the setting sun, came a rising chorus. The darker the sky got, the louder the pond became. I have always enjoyed sitting and listening to frogs, but hearing the chorus build from almost nothing, to a full symphony of frogs really made my night.

... And then it continued. We ran into a gentleman doing a moth survey on the property. We stopped to converse with him, and observe what was landing on his white sheet. A few treefrogs were attracted to the buffet on the white sheet as well. I enjoyed watching the frogs eat, but what was even more awesome, was that as we sat watching them, we started hearing the leaves moving around us in the woods. First just here and there, and soon much more often. With flash lights in hand, we investigated and realized we were sitting in the middle of a treefrog migration. All the frogs were coming down from the trees, and making their way to the wet land. Some stopped to snack on the bugs, others just kept on their way looking for love.

What a night.
geckoguy747

Re: What a night.

Post by geckoguy747 »

that's awesome! i just experienced the same build up from two or three frogs to a full blown chorus friday night. probably one of my favorite herping nights yet!

mine were baja california treefrogs.

western toads joined in on the fun, too.

josh