Thank You to all those that helped with the SSC range Maps

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Fundad

Thank You to all those that helped with the SSC range Maps

Post by Fundad »

I would like to thank everyone that helped with finding data points outside of the SSC range maps. The CDFW also thanks you for your efforts. We were able present data points outside
of the maps, that will help with future conservation efforts for those species.

California Glossy Snake-10 data points from NAFHA/HERP members (4 data points from outside sources) Covering about 100 square miles or so of habitat
Blainville's Horned Lizard-3 data points- covering about 40 square miles or so or habitat
Red Diamond Rattlesnake-2 data points- covering about 10 square miles or so of habitat
Western Spadefoot-2 data points covering about 4 square miles or so of habitat

The following people took the time to research their records and provide a spreadsheet to me to provide to the CDFW, or provided them to me in other fashion. Some spent many hours working with me in the back ground on these. "Thank You"

Kent VanSooy- California Glossy Snake and San Diego Banded Gecko.
Jeff Lemm- California Glossy Snake, and Blainville's Horned Lizard.
Carl Brune- Blainville's Horned Lizard.
Mattew Gruen- Red Diamond Rattlesnake.
John Lauermann- Western Spadefoot.

USGS- Dr Robert Fisher provided data points for SE SD county and provided a ton of insight and help with me and the CDFW. "Thank You Sir"
San Diego Natural History Museum - 3 data points -Wood, F., McCoid, M, and Shaw, C.
In Memory of the late and great Laurence Klauber 1 of his data points not represented by us was used.

A special note, many data points were provided, but only the above were used, as we were only defining the "range map" and I removed any data points from inside the range map (per CDFW request). Coming very soon will be a data request for all of these species where all the individual data points will be very important.

I would like to thank the following individuals for contributing directly or indirectly with the over all scope of this project and research for me.
California Board Members
Nature Nate
Kevin Price
Jeff Nordland
Brad Sillasen
Lawrence Erickson
Keith Condon
Derek Holt
Jim Maughn

Also Thank you to all those that took the time to search through their own records and notes.
There is no way I can know of everyone that did this, but here are a few people not listed above that I know about.
Paul Lynum
Jim Bass
William Flaxington
Taylor Henry
Cody Merrylees
Brian Hubbs
Marc Linsalata
and thank you to everyone else that I may have missed..

Good Job Everyone, This is why we do what we do.

Its not much in the overall scheme of things, but it's a start.. So get out there to those new places and keep on recording data and updating your records.. :)

Very Proud of our Chapter
Brian Hinds
California Chapter President
Kent VanSooy

Re: Thank You to all those that helped with the SSC range Ma

Post by Kent VanSooy »

Very nice Brian, and you're most welcome! That's an impressive list of sources (and I LOVE the Klauber reference...!).
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

No one put in more work than you, Brian, and I would (if possible) lead our Chapter in a big round of applause, for you. :thumb:
looking forward to the data request for all records, for I had quite a few just inside the grey zone (Spadefoots, HL, etc) that were only represented by museum records. jim
JAMAUGHN

Post by JAMAUGHN »

No one put in more work than you, Brian, and I would (if possible) lead our Chapter in a big round of applause, for you.
Agree completely...add the sound of my hands clapping. Fine work, Mr. President.

JimM
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

Yes, thanks from me too, Brian, for putting in the effort :thumb:

Robert
repaphin

Post by repaphin »

Cody Merrylees is my name.
Calfirecap

Post by Calfirecap »

Brian,
Thank you!!! With all the stuff you have going on outside of NAFHA I am most impressed...

Lawrence
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Sorry Cody, I looked and looked and couldn't find your full name anywhere. Thanks for letting us know. :thumb:

I appreciate all the Thank You's, but I do it for the love of herps and to give something back.

The thanks should go to everyone in the chapter as a whole, we are a team. It takes a ton
of work and money to find records and enter them, I know. The least we can do is see that
tree of work and records bare good fruit.

So if you're sincere in your thanks, than thank me by pounding the database, keep on searching new places for new data points, and keep on trucking to the next hill, pond or ridge to get that data.. :) There are still 10's of thousands of square miles not covered yet..

Most of all we should be thanking the CDFW for the honor of allowing us to help. This is refreshing. Personally I am excited about what has been done, but more importantly excited about the future conservation efforts we might get to be a part of in the future.

Fundad
nightdriver

Post by nightdriver »

I echo the positive comments......echo the positive comments..................echo the positive comments.........................echo the positive comments............

The best thing about these sort of things is that it perpetuates the desire to go out and find new locations for these herps. The detail of the range maps also seems to show a degree of trust by CAFW........??

Let's hope the information it put to good use.

-nightdriver