Herping the Sunflower state with a herp legend.

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Dell Despain

Herping the Sunflower state with a herp legend.

Post by Dell Despain »

Forum member Cole Grover, Jeff Hardwick and I took a trip through tornado alley Kansas. We landed in Greenwood County and met up with John Fraser who lives in Fredonia.

Fredonia is a quiet, picturesque city in the southeast corner of Kansas and home to numerous herps of all size and color. We herped in a number of Counties around Fredonia, of course Greenwood, but also, Elk, Wilson, Chautauqua, Woodson, and a trip to Jefferson that really paid off. Let's get to the animals.

Hard to be in Kansas and not see a Collared Lizard, Crotaphytus collaris.
And a Great Plains Skink, Plestiodon obsoletus would also be a required sighting.

The results of grabbing to far back. "We just can't have anything nice around here", as my mom used to say. "I do, do, do for you kids and look what you did to the Skink, it's going to take that Skink 6 months to grow that tail back. Go to your room and think about that mister!"

Five Lined Skink, Plestiodon fasciatus.
Tick.
Juvenile Five Line that I let slip into a hole, so only got this crappy photo.

Coal Skink, Plestiodon anthracinus.

Six Lined Racerunner, Aspidoscelis sexlineata.
Juvenile Six Line.

Glass Lizard, Ophisaurus attenuatus.
The above photo was the only field shot I could muster because of the tall grass we were in we soon lost it in the said grass. Fortunately we took some in hand shots.
We didn't work to hard at finding toads or frogs, but did stumble into a few.
Narrowmouth toad, Gastrophryne olivacea.

Cricket Frog, Acris blanchardi

Greenwood County had turtles moving everyday, I feel bad for these little slow pokes we saw to many to count smucked on the roads.
Ornate Box Turtle, Terrapene ornata.

Eastern Box Turtle, terrapene carolina.

Eastern River Cooter, Pseudemys concinna.
We did work hard for snakes, and milks were one of the main targets. With help from John on
on a few spots we started to see some tit-sucking milk snakes.
Lampropeltis triangulum syspila
Hey Chad Whitney how do you like this Jeff. Co milk?☟ :thumb: Wish you coulda made it over.
Moving along to other Lampros. many Speckled Kings were found.
Lampropeltis getula.
The display from this King had us all laughing, she would shoot at the camera if it got to close, your hand, even sticks.

Prairie Kingsnakes, Lampropeltis calligaster.
Northern Water Snake, Nerodia sipedon.
Diamondback Water Snake, Nerodia rhombifer.

Black Rat Snake, Scotophis obsoletus.

Flathead Snake, Tantilla gracilis.

Westen Worm Snake, Carphophis vermis. In blue.
Not in blue.
Rough Green Snake, Opheodrys aestivus.
Rough Green habitat shot.

From small to big. We move to one of many Bull Snakes found. Sorry my bad, Kansas calls them
Gopher Snakes. Pituouphis catenifer.
Coachwhip, Masticophis flagellum.
This Coach was an old warrior, with many battle scars. We chased him across the road through the grass, and up a tree.

Dirty Copperhead.
Clean Copperhead. Man, he was pissed at getting cleaned.
Traditional Copperhead shot. I love tradition!
Massasauga, Sistrurus catenatus.
Found out on the crawl.
All of this herping took place in surrounding counties near Fredonia, and one of the brightest colors in Fredonia is John Fraser, he is a bundle of energy, with a quick wit and hard herp ethic. John has a long history in herping and keeping reptiles, something like 30 years I heard him say at one point.
If we had a herper hall of fame John would be an inductee, if you've ever met or meet him you'd be convinced after only one day of herping with him.
Pry bar, aka epic beard man, and John in John's snake room.
Look at the smiles on everyones face in this shot. Mike Puckett, Cole Grover, Dave Niles, John Fraser. Me behind the camera, smiling too.
John wanted us to eat at the goddang Nut Hut. FortuNUTely we had a flat tire the day we were going to eat at the Nut Hut, and couldn't get back in time for dinner.
The flat. Isn't that a great spare? Gaaaa.

Here's Cole on our way home at a regular stop for us now.

We took one more stop in Thomas Co. Nebraska, and turned up a Pale milk snake, and that is the end of our trip. Perfect dot on the herping i.
If you've made it to the end, thanks, I owe you a beer or something.

-Dell
Matt Arnold

Re: Herping the Sunflower state with a herp legend.

Post by Matt Arnold »

That last milk snake :crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: :!:
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Y'all really cleaned up. I'd put some money on your narrowmouth being a G. olivaceus, and your plainbelly water snake being a diamondback.
mikemike

Post by mikemike »

Chris beat me to it, but both of his ID corrections are correct. Gastrophryne olivacea and Nerodia rhombifer for the Narrowmouth and Plain bellied water, respectively.

Looks like you had a pretty awesome trip, man. Thanks for sharing!
condyle

Post by condyle »

Great over all post! Nothing beats "Tornado Alley Tit Suckers" in my mind(and I grew up in the land of Coastal Zs). Nice Tribute To John as well.
Dell Despain

Post by Dell Despain »

Chris, and Mike, I wondered if I got those Nerodia right. The Narrowmouth I pasted the wrong latin name in. They've both been corrected. Thanks.

-Dell
Phil Peak

Post by Phil Peak »

Really cool post Dell! I enjoyed the fine selection of milk snakes in particular, and never mind what they call them in Kansas, thats a bullsnake!

Phil
Andrew G

Post by Andrew G »

I'm in Kansas and I call them bullsnakes :thumb: Nice post, love the shot of all the milks on the tin!
soulsurvivor

Post by soulsurvivor »

You have some stunning photos in there! I love the milks and green. I had no idea Kansas had such beautiful snakes.
Brandon D

Post by Brandon D »

Looks like an awesome trip Dell. Some of those milks were reall stunners. Fraser is the man a legend, and a charachter, always a great time when he is around. I have learned a lot from John and he is a great guy. Did he show you any of his old videos?
Nice post and pics
:beer:
RobK

Post by RobK »

Almost gave the post a -5 until I saw Cole with what looks like a cigar. Some bright colors happening in that post.
justinm

Post by justinm »

I know I would count this as a major success of a trip. Great shots, all around. Makes me really miss herping Kansas this Spring.
M Wolverton

Post by M Wolverton »

Awesome, I've got to herp Kansas sometime.
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Dell Despain wrote:Chris, and Mike, I wondered if I got those Nerodia right. The Narrowmouth I pasted the wrong latin name in. They've both been corrected. Thanks.
For my trouble, please mail me that buffalo skull. I'll pay shipping. 8-)
Joe Mahoney

Post by Joe Mahoney »

Really enjoyed Kansas from an "outsiders" perspective. Thanks for sharing Dell.
Phil Peak

Post by Phil Peak »

RobK wrote:Almost gave the post a -5 until I saw Cole with what looks like a cigar. Some bright colors happening in that post.

10 all the way! Lighting up a cigar and maybe finishing the day with a shot of bourbon? Oh yeah, Dell and Cole are THE legendary herpers from the Big Sky country on the road. :beer:

Phil
Eric East

Post by Eric East »

Dang those milks are nice, but I especially liked the head on the 1st one! Is that bearded wonder Matt???!!! LOL
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

:beer: :beer: :thumb:

Another Awesome post..

I Love the Mid West, and you made me miss it even more.. :lol:

The Smooth Green, The Milks, the Coachwhip and the Prairie Kings were all beautiful..

Thanks for sharing with us.. :beer:

Fundad
-EJ

Post by -EJ »

Stellar post. When I saw the size reference for the cooter... I thought... holy shiznit. That is huge.
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

Holey moley Del, you guys lit'em up! The Prairie Kings and Milks are gorgeous. (Heck, even the nerodia are lookers.) Really dig the group shots, and the hab photos...well, you probably know how I feel about them. :mrgreen:

Exceptional post in all respects.
I feel like I owe YOU a beer or something, for sharing.

Tim
ahockenberry

Post by ahockenberry »

awesome post - great shots - great Milk Snakes !!!
MichaelCravens

Post by MichaelCravens »

That was quite a trip Dell, you cleaned up. Nicely done.

Michael Cravens
Dell Despain

Post by Dell Despain »

Matt Arnold wrote:That last milk snake
Thanks Matt, I'm pretty happy with that milk find.
mikemike wrote:Looks like you had a pretty awesome trip, man. Thanks for sharing!
Glad you liked the post Mike, I'm content w/ the trip and how it worked out. Thanks for your ID help too.
condyle wrote:Great over all post! Nothing beats "Tornado Alley Tit Suckers" in my mind(and I grew up in the land of Coastal Zs). Nice Tribute To John as well.
Condyle you grew up in some great herp country, glad you liked the post, thanks.
Phil Peak wrote:Lighting up a cigar and maybe finishing the day with a shot of bourbon?
That sounds like a perfect end to a day of herping to me Phil. And I'm with you those "ARE" Bullsnakes.
Thanks for the kind words.
Andrew G wrote: Nice post, love the shot of all the milks on the tin!
Thanks Andrew, we really lucked out with that tin.
soulsurvivor wrote:You have some stunning photos in there! I love the milks and green. I had no idea Kansas had such beautiful snakes.
Thanks Soul. You live in a great herp state for sure, but Kansas is a special herp place in it's own right too.
Brandon D wrote: Did he show you any of his old videos?
Thanks for the kind comments Brandon. We didn't get to see the old videos, but we did get to go through two of his old photo albums, before hunting alterna was popular. He had photos of Brain Hubbs in his early twenties for gods sake. Yes, I know I spelled Brains name wrong. ;)
RobK wrote:Almost gave the post a -5 until I saw Cole with what looks like a cigar. Some bright colors happening in that post.
A minus 5, really? For a guy w/ dread locks you're tough Rob. We'll keep a cigar in the photos just to keep our score up.
justinm wrote:I know I would count this as a major success of a trip.
Thanks Justin, we're very happy with the trip and the herps we saw, the people on the trip really made it a success too.
M Wolverton wrote:Awesome, I've got to herp Kansas sometime.
Mike, you've gotta get to Kansas, you'll love it. Just don't get hit by one of those twisters when you do go. :)
chris_mcmartin wrote:please mail me that buffalo skull. I'll pay shipping.
Isn't that skull cool! Love it.
Joe Mahoney wrote: Really enjoyed Kansas from an "outsiders" perspective. Thanks for sharing Dell.
Hey thanks Joe, you and your animals were a topic of conversation a few times on this trip.
Eric East wrote:Dang those milks are nice, but I especially liked the head on the 1st one! Is that bearded wonder Matt???!!! LOL
That first one is an interesting head marking, and indeed the bearded wonder is the former skinhead.
Fundad wrote:Another Awesome post..
Thanks Brian, one day man, one day we'll herp together, and smoke cigars.
-EJ wrote:Stellar post. When I saw the size reference for the cooter... I thought... holy shiznit. That is huge.
Much appreciated Ed. It was a big cooter. I'm happy we found it because now I can use the word COOTER more often. Love that name... cooter.
Tim Borski wrote:Really dig the group shots, and the hab photos...well, you probably know how I feel about them.
Thanks a lot Tim, I saved this habitat shot just for you. No really I thought you'd like this one when I took the photo.
ahockenberry wrote:awesome post - great shots - great Milk Snakes !!!
Thanks you so much, coming from someone that puts up great posts, and photos that means a lot.
MichaelCravens wrote:That was quite a trip Dell, you cleaned up. Nicely done.
Thanks a lot Michael, we really did get to see number of animal. You know, I didn't post it but we also saw a Scissor Tailed Flycatcher. You've probably seen those before, but these two were my first. I got a photo of them but waiting for Jeff to send me his photo, he had a better lens for birds then I did.

-Dell
M Wolverton

Post by M Wolverton »

BTW, I saw Jeremiah Easter wash a filthy atrox once, but this is the first post that I recall having seen someone wash a POed little copperhead. :lol:
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

"We just can't have anything nice around here", as my mom used to say. "I do, do, do for you kids and look what you did to the Skink, it's going to take that Skink 6 months to grow that tail back. Go to your room and think about that mister!"
Thanks for making my day :-)
joeysgreen

Post by joeysgreen »

Super sweet post, excellent photos, thanks. After making it to the end I felt like I owe you a beer.

Ian
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

:shock:

Oh. My. God.

My mind is still a pile of mush after this post. Perfect milks, excellent Lamps., BEAUTIFUL habitat and rocks....
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

Yeah....this post made my night and probably tomorrow, too. The milks are outrageous. I can't help but bring up the topic of temporalis and how many of your snakes look exactly like some of those anomalies that turn up on the coastal plain.

The cooter is a fine example, as well. I have to review this post a few times. Excuse me while I take some private time.

:lol:
RobK

Post by RobK »

Dell Despain wrote:The results of grabbing to far back. "We just can't have anything nice around here", as my mom used to say. "I do, do, do for you kids and look what you did to the Skink, it's going to take that Skink 6 months to grow that tail back. Go to your room and think about that mister!"
:lol:
Dell Despain wrote:A minus 5, really? For a guy w/ dread locks you're tough Rob. We'll keep a cigar in the photos just to keep our score up.
Hey! You know the rules: dreads = +25pts, cigars = +25pts, no cigar = -51 pts, hole-in-the-wall sandwich shops = +19 pts. Rough greens = bonus pts. I think you pulled a Charlie Sheen on this post, no worries.
Dell Despain

Post by Dell Despain »

joeysgreen wrote:Super sweet post, excellent photos, thanks. After making it to the end I felt like I owe you a beer.
Thanks Jgreen. Hopefully we can drink a beer together one day.
Zach_Lim wrote:Perfect milks, excellent Lamps., BEAUTIFUL habitat and rocks....
Thanks Zach, I knew a tri-color guy like you would like those syspila.
Mike VanValen wrote:Yeah....this post made my night and probably tomorrow, too. The milks are outrageous. I can't help but bring up the topic of temporalis and how many of your snakes look exactly like some of those anomalies that turn up on the coastal plain.
Yeah those coastal's remind me of an eastern forum of syspila. Glad you liked the post and thanks for your comments.
RobK wrote:Hey! You know the rules: dreads = +25pts, cigars = +25pts, no cigar = -51 pts, hole-in-the-wall sandwich shops = +19 pts. Rough greens = bonus pts. I think you pulled a Charlie Sheen on this post, no worries.
Ouch Rob, I'm not sure I like the comparison. I bet I can grow dread locks before I ever say anything like this out loud.⬇

Who could forget these crazy man quotes:

What they're not ready for is guys like you and I and Nails and all the other GNARLY GNARLINGTONS in my life, that we are high priests, Vatican assassin warlocks. BOOM. Print that, people. See where that goes.

duh...Winning.

-Dell
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

That fourth Speckled king picture is by far the coolest SK photo I've ever seen! The Milks are amazing. What a fun trip that must have been. :thumb:
Matt Cage

Post by Matt Cage »

Dell

Wow, quite a trip and a very enjoyable post! Looks like everybody have a great time. Looks like you did great on calligaster. Very nice finds! Wish I could have made it, but thanks again for the hospitality and for understanding!

Matt
Reptiluvr

Post by Reptiluvr »

Man that's a lot of Herps in such a short time. Kudos for the calligaster and triangulum! Nice shot of the Gastrophryne olivaceus too. I had a hard time getting decent photos of them without a nasty flash effect.
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

Dell, in my world, just the prospect of flipping stuff like that row of rocks you "saved just for me," is every bit as exciting as the thought of what I might actually find there.

I am a sick, sick man/thanks for another fix.
Tim
Joe Farah

Post by Joe Farah »

Dell, you're a really good snake finder and picture taker. Looks like a great time
kcmatt

Post by kcmatt »

The pale takes the cake, I was just in their habitat in SD, but cold north winds limited my short time there to a couple of Black Hills Storeria, a Pit and a bunch of Coluber and T. vagrans... as well as 60-70 meadow stream trout.

Some time I'll have to tell you about what happened the day you guys didn't come up to Anderson to herp with us.
Gary2sons

Post by Gary2sons »

Awesome post Dell! :thumb:

You guys had a fantastic trip!

Gary
John Fraser

Post by John Fraser »

Dell, Thanks so much for all the kind words concerning myself. I was pleased to meet ALL you "milkheads" whom I only knew from the milksnake forum in name only till you all got here. I felt I was meeting "Legend" milkheads when you guys got here, for there were many years before Cole & You started finding Montana Milks that there was just no real information & certainly no pictures of the snakes out there, other than one other "milkhead" we know, by the name of Brian, who had really searched & succeeded in finding Montana triangulum. You guys certainly have searched & learned more about the natural history of Pale Milksnakes in Montana than any other herper or academic herpetologist that I am aware of & you guys deserve full credit for all that effort. It was a pleasure going out here in KS herping with all of your group & next time your here, you know we will need to eat at the Nut Hut, lol. Later, John F.
TimCO

Post by TimCO »

You guys killed it, and looked like you had fun doing it.
Dougsnake

Post by Dougsnake »

Looks like you guys had a great time.

DMong

Post by DMong »

What an incredible post Dellster!........lots of cool critters there, and those milks were simply outstanding!

I remember that "Chubby Pickle" joint from a post you guys did years ago..HAHAA!!

That "testicle restaurant" is DEFINITELY something you never see here in florida, and the sign was hilarious! :lol:

thumbs up to all you guys on that trip!!!!

~Doug
Cole Grover

Post by Cole Grover »

Damn, that was fun, wasn't it?! I still haven't sorted through my photos, but I'll try to get some added to the post in a couple of days. I'm still having nightmares about the ticks...

Rob,
There were plenty of cigars, amigo! Not to worry.

Matt,
We wished you could have been there, too. Rough stuff, man. Let us know if you can get north this spring.

-Cole