Fire at Wildhorse Station

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Daryl Eby

Fire at Wildhorse Station

Post by Daryl Eby »

Also on my Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 066&type=1

WILDHORSE STATION FIRE: Field herpers and other residents and visitors to the Big Bend will be saddened to hear that one of the rental units at Wildhorse Station was struck by lightening and burned down yesterday.

I went out there this morning to visit with the owner, Louise. She is an amazing woman and has been a good friend of the herping community for many years. She is doing fine and was in surprisingly good spirits considering her loss. The unit was uninsured and luckily vacant at the time.

I mentioned to her that the herping community would probably like to help her out, she just shrugged and said she'll be fine. Still, I thank we owe her some support in return for her years of hospitality.

If you have ever stayed there, or even just thought about it, please consider calling her this week to book a stay for sometime this summer. If you can't come out, but still want to help, I'd suggest calling her and booking a "memorial visit" to unit #3. She'll likely try to refuse and advise you it was burned down. Just insist that you know that but want just want to enjoy, or remember, the view and send her what you can.

She mentioned tentative plans to clean up the site and put a picnic area and shade in it's place. It would be fantastic if the herping community could help her fund this project.

Phone# at Wildhorse: 432-371-2526

chrish

Re: Fire at Wildhorse Station

Post by chrish »

Wow. I stayed in number 3 on a couple of occasions.

I may have a trip to the River Road this year. If so, I will stay at WildHorse, just like I usually do.
gbin

Re: Fire at Wildhorse Station

Post by gbin »

You have rental units out there too, right, Daryl? It's mighty nice of you to look out for a neighbor that way; I think you must both be awfully good folk. I hope her fortunes improve!

Gerry