Herp Nation magazine Issue 1 review thread

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

M Wolverton

Herp Nation magazine Issue 1 review thread

Post by M Wolverton » July 23rd, 2010, 2:10 pm

Okay, I got my first issue just a little bit ago and glanced through it quickly.

The materials and production are both very high quality. The photography selected is excellent. The articles are interesting and informative, providing more depth and detail than we usually see on posts here. I only spotted one typo. I'll have to take a longer and more exhaustive look later, but my first impression is thumbs up guys.

Post your reviews.

AndyO'Connor

Re: Herp Nation magazine review thread

Post by AndyO'Connor » July 23rd, 2010, 2:50 pm

Got my issue too, same basic review so far, flipped through it, haven't read it cover to cover yet, but it looks great guys!

soulsurvivor

Post by soulsurvivor » July 24th, 2010, 8:34 am

Very impressed! Great quality and I agree with the good font size. Awesome pictures. Superb content. Did spot a couple typos.....one misspelling in an ad space, and a repeat of a word in the first article. Haven't gotten further than that yet, but plan to read the rest this weekend. Overall, I love it!

justinm

Post by justinm » July 24th, 2010, 9:00 am

I love it, I just recieved it. I will be reading it cover to cover and then putting it away to keep it pristine. BTW I'm on page 41, w00t.

Carl Koch

Post by Carl Koch » July 24th, 2010, 9:36 am

Got it, and have read all but one article...really high quality stuff, quite engrossing! Great work on all aspects...nice layout, beautiful photos, good variety of content. A few typos, but nothimg :lol: overly distracting. Pretty cool to have a magazine full of accounts of one of the activities I love, by people I'm often familiar with, and some who I've even herped with! Way to go Scott, Jeremiah, and everyone else involved!

devilfish79

Post by devilfish79 » August 11th, 2010, 6:32 pm

Got my issue at the Pomona Reptile Show this past Sunday and spent the last 3 days reading through the thing (some articles twice!). For someone like me who has never field herped but was always interested in it, the magazine really inspires. I truly enjoyed the Taiwan and rosy boa articles. The profile section was a pleasant read.

Ah hell, the whole magazine was a great read. I can't wait to get my next issue!

Thanks for all the hard work and effort guys!

Cheers,
Erik

kysnakeguy

Post by kysnakeguy » September 7th, 2010, 12:29 pm

way better than reptiles, cosidering it is centerd around herping! (i get both though and also enjoy reptiles) this mag is going to change the herp comunity 4ever! cant wait till the september issue!

Deavherps63

Post by Deavherps63 » September 9th, 2010, 1:04 am

Just got my first issue and it's awesome!!! Can't wait for issue 2!
Attachments
Corwin.jpg
Not only did I love it but so did my best friend!
Corwin.jpg (71.91 KiB) Viewed 1586 times

CrashX2

Post by CrashX2 » September 17th, 2010, 6:18 am

Loved the first issue! Physical quality of the magazine itself is superb as is the content. It is definitely one of the best premier issues of any magazine I have seen. I hope it just keeps getting better. Now if it could be monthly!!! :D

brick911

Post by brick911 » September 17th, 2010, 8:15 am

Yeah, seriously. :lol:

Scott Waters
Site Admin

Post by Scott Waters » September 22nd, 2010, 1:25 am

We love the idea of it going monthly. If all of the forum users here got subscriptions, the community would be well on its way to making it happen. Tell your friends!

Issue 2 is loaded. You guys are going to love it!

MHollanders

Post by MHollanders » September 26th, 2010, 7:00 pm

I finished the second issue today. I am extremely impressed with the content and layout. The stories were great; there were a few typos, however, but nothing to freak out about. The Israel and Spain articles were awesome, and I thought the Baja rat snake article was well written.

I can't wait for the next issue, and when it goes monthly. ;)

Later, Matt

Scott Waters
Site Admin

Post by Scott Waters » September 27th, 2010, 1:31 pm

MHollanders wrote:I finished the second issue today. I am extremely impressed with the content and layout. The stories were great; there were a few typos, however, but nothing to freak out about. The Israel and Spain articles were awesome, and I thought the Baja rat snake article was well written.

I can't wait for the next issue, and when it goes monthly. ;)

Later, Matt
We will make the mag better with each issue! Thanks for your input.

thanks,
scott

soulsurvivor

Post by soulsurvivor » September 27th, 2010, 5:03 pm

You need a good editor. I think for stores to pick this mag up, it's got to be top notch. But it seems you are on the way there. The typos are my only complaint.

justinm

Post by justinm » September 27th, 2010, 5:30 pm

I thought this issue was top notch really well done layouts. I'm recommending it to my herp club as well.

CrashX2

Post by CrashX2 » September 28th, 2010, 1:06 pm

Scott Waters wrote:We love the idea of it going monthly. If all of the forum users here got subscriptions, the community would be well on its way to making it happen. Tell your friends!

Issue 2 is loaded. You guys are going to love it!

Loved issue two so far, trying to save it for the flight to CA in the morning. I have toe other people that should be getting subscriptions soon!

Jeremiah_Easter

Post by Jeremiah_Easter » September 28th, 2010, 2:10 pm

Thanks for the compliments guys, and especially for spreading the word! I really love hearing that you are enjoying it. The community has been needing this for a long time.

Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski » October 1st, 2010, 11:24 am

Moved to issue 2 thread.
Tim

brick911

Post by brick911 » October 4th, 2010, 5:08 am

I have a suggestion. Regarding the centerfold, I would suggest putting ads on both back sides of it. In this month's issue, Chris H.'s image article starts on the back page of Sam's pic. If I were going to remove part of the magazine, I'd like it to not include any content. Ya know?

Jeremiah_Easter

Post by Jeremiah_Easter » October 4th, 2010, 7:42 am

Actually, we have discussed doing exactly this. Part of the reason we didn't it that I'm not fond of starting a left hand page with ads. We might consider it again down the road.

brick911

Post by brick911 » October 4th, 2010, 11:51 am

Yeah, I can see that it was even a good idea to put the image lab right after the centerfold too. So either way is cool, as you probably don't want to put the image lab on back to back pages. I don't know... Just saying I wouldn't break up the magazine content to hang it on my wall. The majority might.

Scott Waters
Site Admin

Post by Scott Waters » October 4th, 2010, 1:45 pm

soulsurvivor wrote:You need a good editor. I think for stores to pick this mag up, it's got to be top notch. But it seems you are on the way there. The typos are my only complaint.
If you look at some of the most respected mags in the world (national geographic, TIME, etc), you'll find more than a few typos. Not an excuse, of course, but it puts things into perspective. Please send me a list of the typos, we would really appreciate it. [email protected]

thanks,
scott

Mike Pingleton

Post by Mike Pingleton » October 5th, 2010, 7:25 am

Second Issue - the Baja Ratsnakes article was worth the price of the magazine all in itself. Well done and informative, including the kernel of info regarding pinkie mouse digestion.

Also, as I started reading it struck me - 'hey, wait a minute, this is definitely not spoon-fed pap aimed at the nine-year-old demographic'.

Most excellent.
-Mike

Jeremiah_Easter

Re: Herp Nation magazine Issue 1 review thread

Post by Jeremiah_Easter » October 5th, 2010, 2:38 pm

lol, so glad to hear this quote...
'hey, wait a minute, this is definitely not spoon-fed pap aimed at the nine-year-old demographic'

Deepanshu

Post by Deepanshu » October 14th, 2010, 4:47 am

Very impressed! Great quality and I agree with the good font size. Awesome pictures. Superb content. Did spot a couple typos.....one misspelling in an ad space, and a repeat of a word in the first article. Haven't gotten further than that yet, but plan to read the rest this weekend. Overall, I love it!

Free Themes
Free ebooks

Deepanshu

Post by Deepanshu » October 14th, 2010, 4:48 am

If you look at some of the most respected mags in the world (national geographic, TIME, etc), you'll find more than a few typos. Not an excuse, of course, but it puts things into perspective.

Free Themes
Free ebooks