A Striped Florida King

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

moleking

A Striped Florida King

Post by moleking »

In 1984 I found this snake on a path between two parallel canals on Hiatus Rd. Davie Florida. It was just over 2.5 ft and a male. The photo was taken with an old Kodac instamatic so excuse the poor quality.

Jordan S.

Re: A Striped Florida King

Post by Jordan S. »

Beautiful! What county was it in?

-Jordan Schmitt
moleking

Post by moleking »

That would be Broward County. Unfortunately a few months after this was taken the county sprayed herbicides in such excess that they had to put out warning signs for chemical pollution. The area has since been developed and is covered by houses.
-EJ

Post by -EJ »

How does a person leave such a thing.
moleking

Post by moleking »

At the time I found this kings were so common there that you literaly found one every thirty feet or so over a mile long stretch. I didn't leave that one.
-EJ

Post by -EJ »

Cool. How is it doing?
moleking wrote:At the time I found this kings were so common there that you literaly found one every thirty feet or so over a mile long stretch. I didn't leave that one.
moleking

Post by moleking »

That was 28 years ago. After a long life the King died. None of his offspring showed the trait.
Reptiluvr

Post by Reptiluvr »

That's a pretty cool king. Very interesting aberrant stripe. I grew up near that area until I was 8. The only herping I did then was Anolis sagrei and the occasional green iguana in the grass.
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

moleking wrote:That was 28 years ago. After a long life the King died. None of his offspring showed the trait.
It might have been a recessive trait, which means you have to breed the offspring together or one of the offspring back to the parent to get a striped. They actually sell these, but yours is wild caught, which makes it ten times cooler. :thumb:
Tracer

Post by Tracer »

Nice!

I used to hunt Davie (when I went to Nova and Broward Community College) in the 70's and early 80's but never found a getulus. I did, however, find a pot field during one herp trip (west of University Blvd). As I remember, Davie was especially rich in corn snakes and scarlet kings.

Tracer
DMong

Post by DMong »

Tracer wrote:Nice!

I used to hunt Davie (when I went to Nova and Broward Community College) in the 70's and early 80's but never found a getulus. I did, however, find a pot field during one herp trip (west of University Blvd). As I remember, Davie was especially rich in corn snakes and scarlet kings.

Tracer
I also went to Nova High in the mid to late 70's!... I usually found pot back then in it's original plastic bags though..But I did know people that grew it in Nova's horticulture class :lol:

~Doug
DMong

Post by DMong »

moleking wrote:In 1984 I found this snake on a path between two parallel canals on Hiatus Rd. Davie Florida. It was just over 2.5 ft and a male. The photo was taken with an old Kodac instamatic so excuse the poor quality.

Very cool!,.........yes, I remember that cool old-time photo. How could I forget? :beer:

Like the other poster mentioned, there are some authentic one's produced now days that look EXTREMELY similar to that cool snake, and I bet if that animal was still alive today that it would probably prove to be allelic with today's mutation.

Good to see ya!

~Doug
Mattlesnake King

Post by Mattlesnake King »

Buddy of mine saw this guy get hit in SW GA. Striped eastern king. Currently at the University of Georgia Museum of Natural Histrory.

Matt King
DMong

Post by DMong »

Mattlesnake King wrote:Buddy of mine saw this guy get hit in SW GA. Striped eastern king. Currently at the University of Georgia Museum of Natural Histrory.

Matt King

Wow!,.......that is really sad...... That's right around were the very wide-banded south Georgia phenotypic getula typically range. I know of a completely striped Eastern specimen that was captured a while back. It look just like a striped Cal. king at first glance.

~Doug
moleking

Post by moleking »

What might have been ...