Mediterranean Geckos in Texas

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

neasttx

Mediterranean Geckos in Texas

Post by neasttx »

I am just wondering what areas, in Texas, Mediterranean Geckos, have been found? I see from field guides areas near Tyler, Whicita Falls and Dallas. I can document them in Sulphur Springs in Hopkins Co. and in Paris in Lamar Co. Just wondering if anyone could let me know if they have seen them in other areas as well, thanks.
AtroxKR

Re: Mediterranean Geckos in Texas

Post by AtroxKR »

We have them all over central Texas. Williamson, Travis, hays, bexar, Burnet, bell, bastrop, lee counties...and everywhere around and between.
Soopaman

Post by Soopaman »

All over Houston, at least Harris County. I'm sure they're all over the state, but I never look specifically for them.
MAbernathy

Post by MAbernathy »

Know for sure Kingwood and Humble areas in NE Harris County, and the lands of the Katy Prairie Conservancy (Harris, Ft. Bend, Waller county confluence area).

Matt
herpseeker1978

Post by herpseeker1978 »

They are in Las Cruces, NM, so I would assume they are in El Paso.

Josh
herpseeker1978

Post by herpseeker1978 »

oh, and I've found them in San Antonio and Houston.
txherper

Post by txherper »

marion county
MHollanders

Post by MHollanders »

They are everywhere. I was surprised, however, to find one in the Chisos Basin...
chrish

Post by chrish »

I remember when I was taking a herpetology class from Jim Dixon back in 1983 and I found out there was a population of Med Geckos in Texas. At that time, there were a few in Houston but to really find them you had to go the valley. We drove down to Falcon dam over spring break just to find them. Then they started showing up in Houston and College Station. There weren't (m)any in El Paso when I moved there in 1988, but I knew a guy who was on a crusade to get them introduced and was repeatedly letting them go on his house.

Now they are everywhere in the state it seems. I've seen them in West Texas and they are abundant in South Texas and SE Texas. Saw some in the northeastern Panhandle last year.

I keep checking geckos because it just seems inevitable that Hemidactylus frenatus will be here very soon. They are common in Florida and in Mexico. They have to make the trip.

Another one worth watching is Brown Anoles. Twenty years ago they were reputedly in Galveston and Houston. I only ever saw one in the late 80s. John Williams showed me some in Port Aransas a few years back and now I see them all over the place at Port A and all over the valley.
Casey Lazik

Post by Casey Lazik »

They are present in Sanderson, Terrell County.
Soopaman

Post by Soopaman »

chrish wrote:
Another one worth watching is Brown Anoles. Twenty years ago they were reputedly in Galveston and Houston. I only ever saw one in the late 80s. John Williams showed me some in Port Aransas a few years back and now I see them all over the place at Port A and all over the valley.
I managed a pool in NE Harris County a couple of summers ago, and it's the only place I know to have them. They are everywhere there. I've seen them nowhere else.
keown

Post by keown »

In 1958 the only documented established populations in the U.S. were in Miami, Fl, Key West, Fl, New Orleans, La and in Brownsville, Texas. There were also several documented populations in northern Mexico. By 1963 there was an established population in Corpus Christi, Tx and in 1965 I found them to be established in downtown Alice, Tx. By 1975 they were well established throughout most all of South Texas south of a line from Houston west to Del Rio, along with several other isolated populations in Beaumont, Tx, DFW area, and a couple of other east Texas spots. In 1977 I found them by the hundreds living on/in most all of the older downtown business buildings in Hondo, Tx. By 1991 they could be found in the Big Bend and in El Paso, Tx. At first these populations were seemingly restricted to cities and towns in areas inhabited by humans but by the late 70s they were beginning to show up in many unpopulated places. Since 2007 I have found them in isolated locations in west Texas many miles from any population centers. Today there are established breeding populations reported from about 20 different states. In the Southwest there are numereous established populations including Tucson, Az., Phoenix, Az. and Imperial County, Ca.

-Gerald
Shane_TX

Post by Shane_TX »

I keep an eye out for Brown Anoles but so far have not seen one in Brazoria County (not that I particularly look for anoles). I suppose that it is only a matter of time before they become relatively established in this area. Turkish Geckos and Rio Grande Chirping Frogs are well established even in natural areas.

One that I sometimes wonder about is Cyrtopodion. Surely they can escape the boundaries of Galveston Island???

Regarding the original question though, I think the more interesting circumstance would be: Where have they disappeared from.

Shane
Scott_Wahlberg

Post by Scott_Wahlberg »

We have Med Geckos all over east, Texas. I've seen Brown Anoles in spring branch in Houston and in places throughout the LRGV. The only other exotic geckos i've see are the rough-tailed geckos on some of the warehouses in the shipping district in Galveston. I've looked for H. frenatus along some of the warehouses in Galveston but haven't seen any. Dan Saenz told me he saw one down there in the late 80's or early 90's sometime.

-Scott
chrish

Post by chrish »

Scott_Wahlberg wrote:I've looked for H. frenatus along some of the warehouses in Galveston but haven't seen any. Dan Saenz told me he saw one down there in the late 80's or early 90's sometime.
I suspect frenatus will show up in the valley first. They are pretty common on buildings just a few hours south of Brownsville.
Felixx68

Post by Felixx68 »

Definitely have them in the panhandle plains of Texas! Found a few when I used to live in Lubbock.

Joshua
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

They are spreading in AZ....all over Phoenix and Tucson areas and I have found them in Green Valley, 30 miles south of Tucson. They are in Yuma also. I don't think they'll do very well in desert habitat though.

Terry