Adding up the herping miles.

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

kyle loucks

Adding up the herping miles.

Post by kyle loucks »

Getting around- How many miles do you guys/gals log?

From the past few northeast weeks

Gray Treefrog - New Jersey

Ringneck snake - Delaware

Eastern Painted Turtle - Delaware

Eastern Kingnakes - Maryland

Northern Diamondback Terrapin - Maryland

Eastern Hognose - Virginia

Five Lined Skink eggs - Virginia

Eastern Fence Lizard - Virginia

Eastern Worm Snake - Virginia

Northern Brown Snake - Virginia - Bad photo, but I like its posture.

Green Treefrog - Virginia

BroadHead Skink- Virginia

Northern Redbellied Turtle - Virginia - egg laying. One of many

Brown Watersnake - Virginia

Black Rat Snake - Virginia

Randoms

Thanks
VICtort

Re: Adding up the herping miles.

Post by VICtort »

A rough guess would be about 2k/year herp related miles. I have reduced the number of herp only trips, due to rising fuel cost, and I don't go alone as often as I once did, preferring to share expenses.

Some nice photos, and the Eastern kings are super attractive, I like seeing the "chain type" patterns. BTW, that is either a huge roach or small eastern king in one of the photos. Your raccoon on the marsh captures the moment, it looks like it was foraging/crabbing and you came upon him, camera in hand...

good show, Vic
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

This year I'm getting out about 2-3 times/month, and doing about 150-250 miles at a time. Weaksauce.
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Paul White wrote:This year I'm getting out about 2-3 times/month, and doing about 150-250 miles at a time. Weaksauce.
I agree ("weak sauce")...though I haven't done a whole lot of herping this year, my "herp trip" was 2,960 miles. Looking at a map, if Kyle were in TX he never would've left the state in his travels. Most west-TX herping involves 150-200 miles per night, but that's nothing...I think I drove over 3,000 miles on my Oz trip 10 years ago.

LECHs don't know how good they have it. :P
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

I meant I was weaksauce, not kyle :P I'm doing less than 600 miles a month for herping right now :cry: I will say that I'm being a lot pickier as far as what conditions I go out to herp in, simply because I've got too much going on I have to spend money and time on (kid on the way, home renovations & repairs, some weight lifting equipment, feeder rodents, etc).

It's a fair amount per month but of course, I don't road cruise from about mid September till May (although I do some hiking and field stuff, road cruising hasnt' ever been productive during those months) so on an annual basis it isn't a lot. I haven't done any really long distance driving either--no more trips to Canadian or the northern Panhandle or Eastern New Mexico (which is where I really want to go back to, holy cow).
A rough guess would be about 2k/year herp related miles. I have reduced the number of herp only trips, due to rising fuel cost, and I don't go alone as often as I once did, preferring to share expenses.
This times 100. On one hand, I suspect I'll find fewer total animals this year. OTOH, if I find 2/3rds the animals in 1/5th the time, and for 1/4th the cost, I'll take it.
TimCO

Post by TimCO »

Awesome post Kyle, I always dig your pics.
Phil Peak

Post by Phil Peak »

Beautiful photo's Kyle! I especially liked the getula.

We actually record all of our mileage. Our first outing this year was on March 18th and we have been in the field a total of 32 days. Our mileage to date is right at 9,300 miles. All of this without leaving the state.

Phil