Field Guide Publishing

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Josh Holbrook

Field Guide Publishing

Post by Josh Holbrook »

Hey all,

As many of you know, for the past few (4) years I've been tirelessly working on a field guide to the snakes of southern Florida... And I'm happy to say that the writing for the guide is done - all 100 or so pages of text (not including pictures). . . But that leads to a bigger problem - publishers. I've sent in queries to two publishers (U. Press of Fl., and Pineapple Press,) and they both thought the work was interesting, but too much of a niche market for their scale.

Long story short, anybody know any publishers that might be in the scope of a south Florida snake field guide? On the one hand, I understand it's a specific part of a state, but then again SFL is bigger and more populous than a lot of other states with their own field guides, and brings in a large number of eco/herp tourists.
Any seasoned help would be excellent.

Thanks

-Josh

mjd123

Re: Field Guide Publishing

Post by mjd123 »

Josh,
Try Ralph Curtis
P.O. Box 349
Sanibel Island, FL 33957
Good luck.
Mike

dthor68

Post by dthor68 »

Ever thought of publishing yourself? You can publish your own work in the form of a pdf. and sell it on your own website. All the same rules apply to plagiarism so you will have to make sure you follow those rules. Personally I cant see any publisher doing a S. Florida Snakes book. However, I could see them publish a book on invasive species of S. Florida.

I have over 25 years worth of notes on the Reptiles and Amphibians of South Carolina and would like to get a book deal myself. You have to realize that there are many folks out there that also have a lot of info to share. What sucks is that people dont buy books like they use to. Why would you, you can get all the info you need from the internet. I have not bought a book in 6 years and the last magazine I purchased was 3 years ago.

I wish you luck.
Derek

Travis_W_Taggart

Post by Travis_W_Taggart »

Louis W. Porras
Eagle Mountain Publishing
7705 Wyatt Earp Avenue
Eagle Mountain, Utah 84005-4382
Phone: (801) 789-4149
Fax: (801) 789-4150
[email protected]

http://www.eaglemountainpublishing.com/ ... nd-pythons

They specialize in Herp/Natural History books and do a professional job inside and out.

Publishing is not cheap... so try to get some sponsor money ($3,000 to $5,000), especially from corporations that need a little environmental 'advertising' (maybe BP would spring for the whole thing), give them an acknowledgement, a logo on the back dustjacket, or let them write the forward.

- Travis

justinm

Post by justinm »

Is that the same Louis Porras that used to run the "Shed"? I haven't heard his name in a long time. Good to see you here again Travis.

Bryan_Hughes

Post by Bryan_Hughes »

Here's a self-publishing company owned and operated by a good friend.

http://www.abooksmind.com

Obviously it would be an investment, but the design and layout is part of the package, and you get 100% of the $$$.

Phil Peak

Post by Phil Peak »

Josh,

I suggest contacting Bob Ashley of ECO publishing to see if he has an interest.

Phil

Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

Thanks for the help all, I should have mentioned that my wife will not let me (in her words) "Sell out and self publish," at this juncture.

Mike - Thanks, I'll give him a check...looks like good stuff.

Derek - thanks for the advice. While it will certainly not be a best-seller, I think this field guide should hold its own given the number of herp-tourists Florida gets yearly.

Travis - thanks for the info. How does book publishing cost the author? I thought that was only the case with self publishing, and if you found a publisher the blood and sweat would suffice.

Bryan - thanks man

Phil - Thanks - looks like high quality books (I know at least one is :beer:) I think he'll be the next person I contact.