My nasty-gram sent to Ipower

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

kcmatt

My nasty-gram sent to Ipower

Post by kcmatt »

If they have no back up, they don't, but I sent a rant and intent to attack the company's name anyway. The form:

http://www.ipower.com/support/suggestions.bml
jswingchun

Re: My nasty-gram sent to Ipower

Post by jswingchun »

Not that it will matter, but I just sent them a note as well.
stlouisdude

Post by stlouisdude »

I used to work in the web hosting business. I can tell you that unplugging an infected machine is standard practice to prevent wasted bandwidth (even with metrics in place, they can waste a lot of resources) and to prevent blacklisting of an IP or IP range. The user is responsible for maintaining backups unless otherwise stated. However, to delete someone's data without notice is unprofessional and I would not work for a company that does such a thing. I hope they do get some negative feedback, but where it will hurt them most is on hosting review websites rather than the feedback forms that only they see.
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

Unplugging a server without notice is standard procedure if there are issues, but as you said, wiping it clean is a whole different matter. Even with a daily backup schedule in place, some sites may have up to the second critical data that may need to be retrieved. I have dealt with server's being unplugged for people in the past, and we tend to get access to retrieve files.
Scott Waters
Site Admin

Post by Scott Waters »

The only part I have a problem with is the complete deletion of all data. It just want not necessary, in my opinion. They can accept or deny any customer they want, I have no issue with them asking someone to leave, but the deletion did not have to happen. I've yet to hear one reason why it HAD to be done before giving me a chance to backup. As I said, I accept responsibility for making an assumption about the backup, I didn't see that in the contract, but I'm assuming it was there. Again, fine, but deleting the data rather than simply taking the server off-line until.

At the very least, it is a horrible way to do business. My opinion.

Whatever the case may be, it is over, they did what they did, now we go in a new server direction!

thanks,
scott