Poison Oak- The Terror of the Outdoors

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Zach_Lim

Poison Oak- The Terror of the Outdoors

Post by Zach_Lim »

I do everything I can avoid this demon plant from hell while frolicking in the outdoors. Had a reaction to it once that was horrid--lasted weeks, scarring on legs, etc. Well, now, I have got the evil oil on me once again...

This time, however, it seems to have come up a few days after what I deemed as the exposure period. Washed my clothes right after the outting, so shouldnt be from that. I washed my exposed areas with dishwashing soap after any outting, which i hear can help lift oils contracted on skin.

Anyhow, anyone have any tips of dealing with it? That is, other then watching my skin bubble up and melt in front of my eyes?
RobertH

Re: Poison Oak- The Terror of the Outdoors

Post by RobertH »

Zach, sorry to hear you've got a bad case of poison oak coming. I've been there.

Here's an old thread where I and others gave our recommendations of poison oak remedies:

http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... eed#p35262

The stuff I use, jewelweed, works well in part because it involves two steps: 1) you first use jewelweed soap to get the oil off your skin completely, which is absolutely key, and 2) then you use the jewelweed spray to treat the blisters and itch. It's not a 100% cure, there'll still be a residual itch and redness, but it's more like a bunch of mosquito bites rather than maddening blisters that make sleep difficult.

The third product that comes as part of the kit is jewelweed salve in a small, round metal box. It is great to carry on you while hiking. Anytime I suspect I might have touched poison oak, I quickly put some of the salve on. That has at times prevented major rashes, both for me and Nicholas, where all we'd get are a few tiny spots here and there, but no major breakout.

I also like the fact that it's all natural and much cheaper than the other poison oak remedies. One kit for about $40 will last for several years, tough at some point the jewelweed may not be as effective anymore, I don't know. Replacing it every couple of years is probably a good idea.

Anyway, I hope you'll find something that works and this won't ruin your next few weeks.

Robert :)
soulsurvivor

Post by soulsurvivor »

I don't really have any solutions, other than maybe Benadryl easing the itch (slightly). When I lived in Cali, I got it a LOT. After every hike, I would wash my clothes right away, slather myself in Tecnu for 5 minutes, and then shower with Dawn or some other dish soap. The Tecnu and Dawn seemed to help the most to prevent it. And always try your best to take the coldest shower you can afterwards. It really is a horrible affliction. I've had it on my face. Also had a frisbee sized rash from it on my belly. Horrible!!!
monklet

Post by monklet »

If the rash is on the extremities, e.g., arms, legs or head, amputation is indicated. Otherwise, you're screwed. :lol:

Nah, seriously, I would see a doctor and get some prednisone ...that will relieve the itching and arrest any developing rash within about 24 hours.
Mr.Talltree

Post by Mr.Talltree »

I managed to get it pretty bad on our little outing. It's common for it to not present symptoms for anywhere from 12 hours to a week after exposure. Another factor that contributes to the randomness of the rash occurring is where on the body contact was made--thicker skinned areas will tend to take longer to appear infected. I've got it really bad on my right arm, not as bad on my left arm, and a little on my forehead and bottom lip.

Since this is probably the 10th time I've been exposed, I found a routine that works best for me in regards to alleviating the discomfort. I run hot water (as hot as you can bare) on the infected areas--it will give the sensation of scratching the rash. What this does is overloads the nerves and flushes out the histamines from the infected area--I usually find that for 5 - 8 hours after I do this I have almost no itching. I keep the area clean with anti-bacterial soap, apply hydrogen peroxide on the area followed by aloe vera gel--this helps prevent secondary infection and keeps the area from getting too dried out.

Whatever you do--don't scratch and don't pop the blisters.

Luke-
VICtort

Post by VICtort »

Zach, I have had daily and intense exposures to virtual seas of that noxious plant as part of my employment, avoiding it was not an option when eradicating marijuan gardens or fighting fires, etc. I love the product known as TECNU, which is a lotion to rub gently on and then rub gently off with towel. If done within roughly 8 hours of exposure, I rarely had a reaction, and when I did, it was invariably someplace I missed, i.e. underside of forearms. Felsnaptha soap is an old fashioned remedy of some value, I use it in shower after using TEcnu. Few things are as miserable as poison oak /ivy to those sensitve to it, and TECNU made my life and job tolerable, worth its weight in gold. There may be other products as good or better, but I have not tried them.

The urishiol oil may be spread in insidious ways, as in a dog rubs between your bare legs, or you are exposed to burning poison oak smoke, or you are cleaning a deer that was browsing in it, so watch out for those "indirect" exposures. Always take a shower, not a bath if you may have been exposed.

Good luck, I now live in the desert and only rarely encounter it, you reminded me how miserable it can be. For those unfamiar, it is very common plant in much of California, and is remarkably pretty when it turns red, and is variable, may be a bush, shrub, vine, small tree...and it brings grief to thousands of vacationers each year. Animals often browse it with no ill effect. Make sure you can ID it if you should go herping/hiking in California, it is very common and failure to do so will trash a vacation... Vic
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

Another step to avoiding you need to know that I think a lot of people forget, wash your car seats... I got a bad case 2 years ago, used tecnu and even soaked my clothes in tecnu before washing. almost 3 weeks later, I started playing softball on friday nights and wore shorts every night. 4 days after the first game, had poison oak blisters on the back of my legs from the knee to the calf, right where my legs touched the car seat. I hadn't gone herping in poison oak since the first trip and hadn't worn those clothes, and figured out there must have been transfer from the plant to my pant legs then to the fabric car seats. I've read of others having similar experiences.
Mike Waters

Post by Mike Waters »

Wierd, Poison Oak does nothing to me. I have crawled through it with no consequence. Why does it affect people differently?
sdFH'er

Post by sdFH'er »

Zanfel is a relatively newer product that (at least for me) works better than Tecnu. Only downside is that it is a bit pricey but the quicker recovery/relief is well worth it.
Calfirecap

Post by Calfirecap »

I second the vote for Zanfil. Yes, it's pricy at about $40.00/oz., but it's effective, works immediately, and feels damn good when applied. I've seen an aftermarket/generic version for substantially less, but I've never tried it so I can't speak to it's effectiveness.
For severe cases and large area involvement, there really is no substitute for Prednisone.

Lawrence
Neil M

Post by Neil M »

Others may have said this but I don't have time to read all the comments but I want to throw in my two cents since within the last year I have gone from never getting poison oak to getting it pretty bad somewhat often. First off I have heard that dish soap works to prevent it but only from people who have never had poison oak so they may think it works (or could just be immune) but I have never seen the science behind dish soap. I use Tecnu but not only after the exposure along with a COLD shower but also Tecnu can help prevent it so I put it on prior to an outing on likely spots to be exposed. Hope this helps!
devlin

Post by devlin »

Poison oak eats poison ivy for breakfast!...While hot water feels good, don't do that until you've washed with ice cold water. Cold water will close your pores and help prevent the oils from spreading. After you've washed the oils off then hot water does feel great. As others have said, dishsoaps are good at lifting oils away. Tecnu's ok. Preventive measures prior to going out are best! There's an old bar laundry soap called Fels Naptha. You can make a paste and slather it on exposed skin and let it dry, before going out. It works well if you think you're not going to be able to avoid contact with the plant. I've had oak in my throat and in my lungs. Dr. visits and cortisone shots were required...No fun! If I saw a never described species of snake, jet into poison oak, it would remain undiscovered! This is what my face looks like if I get it on it: :oops: :cry:
socalherper

Post by socalherper »

Poison Oak.... I used to get it 2 or 3 times a year. Then I found TECNU and swear but it.
It stops and prevents poison oak and ivy and sumac. When I know I will be around poison oak I put this on and it prevents it from happening.

or if you get it it stops it from spreading right away and dries it right up.

You can get it at any major drug store.

Check this video out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... lNhacQOMD0#!
kit fox

Post by kit fox »

I hope this doesn't sound goofy, but has anyone tried wearing something like a Tyvec suit when you need to visit areas loaded with Poison Oak? The ability to shed the suit when done appeals to me. I realize this may be impractical with So Cal's hot summer temps.