Nafha Booth

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

hellihooks

Nafha Booth

Post by hellihooks »

Along with having the Nafha Ed Booth at Reptilemania this year, at the San Diego Zoo, we should be able to set up at the Anaheim Show, in about 3 weeks... (Sept. 15/16) I've sent in the paperwork, and secured permission... so hopefully we're there... :)

Last year, along with creating the backdrop and banners, Steve Bledsoe, with the help of Dick Dunn, got us into the shows... AND put out a lot of cash, to make it happen... including Electrical hookup and vendor badges. Sadly... I don't have the extra cash to cover those types of outlays, so... unless we can come up with $100 for electricity, we won't have computer access to demonstrate how the Database, Forums, ect work.

So... what we need are volunteers... to help man the booth (even for an hr or so, to give others a break) or to help in any other way you can. putting this out there now, so we can make plans in a timely fashion.
A few pics from last year's very successful effort...
New Kid on the Block... :crazyeyes: :lol:
Great chance to meet fellow members, and give back a little to the organization we all get so much from... :thumb: jim
mjd123

Re: Nafha Booth

Post by mjd123 »

Jim, I'll be there at my booth(books only). I will help pay($50.00) for electricty. Lets see if others can contribute too.
Mike
Steve Bledsoe

Post by Steve Bledsoe »

Jim,
To the credit of our CA NAFHA Chapter members, Kent VanSooy, Noah Anderson, Rich Rang, Brian Hinds and you, all of these guys pitched in to help cover expenses last year.

I'm betting that if you let our members know what the expenses are for this year, you'll be flush before you know it.
Steve Bledsoe

Post by Steve Bledsoe »

In case any of our members don't know who "MJD" Mike is, he's Mike Dee, the gentleman who has the awesome book selling booth at all of the herp shows.

Mike is a NAFHA member and obviously active supporter. Big thanks to Mike for his generosity, and all of our members should at least drop in and day "Hello and Thank you".
Word of caution: If you visit Mike's booth, it's exteremely difficult to leave without buying something. Not because Mike is a high pressure salesman, but because his merchandise is truly awesome.

Thank you Mike.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Yes... thank you Mike, that is a very generous offer... :thumb:
Steve...you'd probably know better than I, what is needed, both materially and procedurally... So any advice you may have is very welcome. And thank you for the use of the banners... :thumb:
If I pay in advance, the electricity hookup is $85... $100 the morning of the event. Now... we just need a computer/monitor... :roll: Mine is older and comparatively 'clunky'.
We did run into a bit of a snafu... Josh had dropped the banners off to Kent, in Oceanside(?) for Reptilemania, but Anaheim precedes Reptilemania, so now we (or I) have to get them from SD to Anaheim (early) and they need to go back to SD... :roll:

So... if anyone is planning on coming from SD, and could come early enough to bring the banners... or if anyone is leaving late, to return to the SD area... that would help... :thumb:
a few obviously cb (native) herps or non native herps, in display tanks, to draw folks to the table, would help as well... :D jim
Ted

Post by Ted »

I'd love to help out at the booth either day
Calfirecap

Post by Calfirecap »

I don't know if I'll be able to make it to the show, but I'd be happy to contribute $20 or so to the electricity fee. Whoever is setting this up just PM me.

Lawrence
Steve Bledsoe

Post by Steve Bledsoe »

Jim,
You're welcome for the banners. I donated them to NAFHA last year, so they belong to the "club". I hope they get lots of use.

I printed up a couple of signs last year and placed them on the table top. One was a copy of our mission statement and the other was a copy of the FAQ page from the website.

A computer to display the database is almost a "must have" item in my opinion. Afterall, the database is the foundation of the organization. It's a lot easier to show it to people than explain it.

You will need a way to hang the main banner from the curtains in the back of the booth. The banner has grommets in it along the edges. Last year I used simple curtain hooks to hang it.
You will also need some Velcro to fasten the table skirt banner to the front of the table. There are two of them but you will most likely only use one. One is longer than the other.
Steve Bledsoe

Post by Steve Bledsoe »

Jim,
Just remembered something .... didn't Jonathan draft a template for a NAFHA flyer for such events?
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Yeah... flyers to hand out would be way cool... I could print them if I had a template.
Thx to the generosity of several members, the electric is covered. Steve... do you know if there's wi-fi there, for a laptop, or do the Elec. guys bring in the internet access, as well?
I THINK John L. said that he and Ashley would be there for both days and could bring a laptop.
Thx again to all who have stepped up... :thumb: jim
Steve Bledsoe

Post by Steve Bledsoe »

That's a good question.
I don't remember if there was wifi available or if they droped a hardwire connection to the booth. Either way I'm sure you'll have to pay for access. There is no mention of it on the application form, so you should probably make a phone call and find out. It would be a service provided by the Convention Center itself, and not the NARBC show coordinators.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Steve Bledsoe wrote:That's a good question.
I don't remember if there was wifi available or if they droped a hardwire connection to the booth. Either way I'm sure you'll have to pay for access. There is no mention of it on the application form, so you should probably make a phone call and find out. It would be a service provided by the Convention Center itself, and not the NARBC show coordinators.
Who brought the computer last year and set it up? I had thought it was you... :shock: We were like the first ones there, right? :shock: jim
Steve Bledsoe

Post by Steve Bledsoe »

Yes, it was my computer.
As I remember we didn't pay for internet service. I made a PowerPoint presentation of a virtual tour of the database, and another one of the NAFHA.org website. I'll see if I can send them to you via regular email. It would be a lot easier if you could get internet access.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

I'll check... IF they have Free Wifi... and someone brings a laptop... we shouldn't actually need electricity. Then again... never had a laptop and not exactly a computer expert, either... :roll: My motto has always been: Real Men do not have floppy discs... (yuk yuk) :D jim
Steve Bledsoe

Post by Steve Bledsoe »

Yeah well, the new moto is "Only cavemen have floppy discs", because just like cavemen, floppy discs are extinct. :lol:
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Steve Bledsoe wrote:Yeah well, the new moto is "Only cavemen have floppy discs", because just like cavemen, floppy discs are extinct. :lol:
I know mine is... :crazyeyes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqCcSc-s ... dded#t=24s
SurfinHerp

Post by SurfinHerp »

Hi Guys,
I'd like to help staff the NAFHA booth at ReptileMania this year. I can bring my laptop with me too. It's old and a bit slow, but it should work fine.
What are the dates for the event? The Zoo's website isn't exactly clear. It's showing Sept. 16-19, but I think that the webpage is left over from last year and hasn't been updated.

Jeff
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

SurfinHerp wrote:Hi Guys,
I'd like to help staff the NAFHA booth at ReptileMania this year. I can bring my laptop with me too. It's old and a bit slow, but it should work fine.
What are the dates for the event? The Zoo's website isn't exactly clear. It's showing Sept. 16-19, but I think that the webpage is left over from last year and hasn't been updated.

Jeff
PM Fundad for reptilemania staffing arraignments. I'll be there Thurs morn... which means... I DON"T need anyone to take the banners down south, after Anaheim...DOH! :lol: :lol: :lol: Not sure we'll need a computer there... Brian should know... :thumb: jim
CR3SS

Post by CR3SS »

I can volunteer. But I'm not sure if I'm eligible being under 18 and all
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

I will pitch in some cash..

Fundad
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

CR3SS wrote:I can volunteer. But I'm not sure if I'm eligible being under 18 and all
For you and Ted, and others under 18... should be no problem, we had 9-13 yr olds pitching in last year. You will have to purchase your own admissions to get in, as most of us did last year... cheaper than additional vendor badges, which are $25 a shot. :roll: jim
Ted

Post by Ted »

hellihooks wrote:
CR3SS wrote:I can volunteer. But I'm not sure if I'm eligible being under 18 and all
For you and Ted, and others under 18... should be no problem, we had 9-13 yr olds pitching in last year. You will have to purchase your own admissions to get in, as most of us did last year... cheaper than additional vendor badges, which are $25 a shot. :roll: jim

sounds good, should we just show up or somehow say ahead of time when we'll be there?
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Ted wrote:
hellihooks wrote:

sounds good, should we just show up or somehow say ahead of time when we'll be there?
I think just showing up is fine... hang out a while, give whoever's manning the booth a break, should they need one. polish my shoes, peel me some grapes... you know... regular intern/gopher stuff... :crazyeyes: :lol: :lol: jim
Ted

Post by Ted »

hellihooks wrote:
Ted wrote:
hellihooks wrote:I can volunteer. But I'm not sure if I'm eligible being under 18 and all

I think just showing up is fine... hang out a while, give whoever's manning the booth a break, should they need one. polish my shoes, peel me some grapes... you know... regular intern/gopher stuff... :crazyeyes: :lol: :lol: jim[/quote]

Hahaha sounds good! But wait: aren't the gophers for the snakes? :crazyeyes: :P
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Due to current discussions in the International Board, I can not man the booth for NAFHA nor promote us anylonger or promote data entries, until the outcome of new votes coming down the line are voted on.

Fundad
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Damn the Torpedos... FULL SPEED AHEAD... :D
Despite some recent turmoil, that should soon be resolved, This is still happening... looking forward to seeing many of you there... :thumb:
We're throwing around an Idea to raffle off some CB AZ mutt kings... to people who sign up. Anyone have a roll of tickets? :crazyeyes: :D jim