repost; Turtles, Birds, and Greatorade, DUW

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

AndyO'Connor

repost; Turtles, Birds, and Greatorade, DUW

Post by AndyO'Connor »

I went to some local wetlands I had never visited because a coworker told me about a bunch of turtles that had orange shells. Hoping it was painted turtles and not red ears, I went, camera in hand. This first shot is actually 2 shots that I "spliced" together, and was the first view of turtles I had, so I call it "Exciting disappointment". Stinking "exotics". I can barely see the line and didn't try any cloning to get rid of it, but let me know what you think. The posted version is only 19.7% of the actual file size. Also, sorry about the image sizes, I thought I had my photobucket set to resize everything to 800, but apparantly it was higher than that for this upload and I don't have time to do it right now.

Unfortunately I didn't see a single painted turtle, and wondered if they were there. a park sign had a basic life history of the painted, so I had hope, but another sign mentioned bullfrogs as native species, tailed frogs and pacific giant salamanders as being members of the wetland habitat, so I found the painted turtle sign to be liss credible. Here's the rest of the shots from the day.

I originally only see 3 turtles with the naked eye, but then there were 4 on my monitor.

The above scenario happened twice with this next pair of shots. I was changing my shutter speed due to it getting dark and rainy. I though it was just the one obvious turtle in each shot, but there is 2 turtles in each shot. One is pretty obvious in the second, see if you can find the 2nd turtle in the first shot by comparing the 2!

Some birds and I tried to use a cheap circular polarizer to take shots of fish. I guess you need a much slower shutter speed or much better lighting than I had because it took a lot of post processing to lighten this up enough to see the fish.

Camo.

"Is it safe yet?"

"Stealthy like a ninja."

And if anyone remembers the PBR can shot I took over the river last spring, this shot turned out fun for me. A random guy stopped and chatted me up, asking me to take pictures of him and his drink to email to him. He puts green tea in gatorade and calls it greatorade! I liked how the clouds above the bottle seemed to kind of cyclone around it.

That's it, thanks for tolerating this post with not many herps, kind of different for me.
Indafield

Re: repost; Turtles, Birds, and Greatorade, DUW

Post by Indafield »

Is that Gatorade on Lake Washington?
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

Greatorade, and yes it is.
Carl Koch

Post by Carl Koch »

That wood duck is sweet!