It is currently May 27th, 2018, 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Northenr San Diego County
PostPosted: October 22nd, 2012, 6:07 pm 

Hey, new to the forums. I just moved out here from NY. I'm interested in seeing rattlesnakes and tarantulas. I've been out to Anzo-Borrego, didn't see much on a short hike up a hill off the side of s6 i believe. I've been out in northern Cleveland State Park east of Lake Forrest in Orange County, and the Clevland hill south of Julian, Ca. Also on the cliffs above El Toro behind Laguna Woods in whatever that park is called, and in the other bike park off of Trabuco. Also been all over San Onofre State Beach. Havent seen anything but lizards and what I'm guessing are Africanized Bee nests - which i stay away from. Saw a Black Widow in one of The Irvine Aquiducts and some brown widows where I live, but thats it - no snakes. Any idea in the North County area of San Diego where I might see some rattlensakes, without having to drive for hours? Are they even out this time of year? What is there behavior like? Do the dens look similar to the ones back east? Any info welcomed.

below is a shot of a 5 foot timber rattler at a den site in copake ny, taken this spring.

Post subject: Re: Northenr San Diego County
PostPosted: October 22nd, 2012, 6:48 pm 

Sounds like you’re doing the right thing, but just haven’t got lucky yet. When i want to find Rattlers where I live in the Whittier hills, I would walk the broad dirt trails and see them either crossing, basking, or coiled beside the trail. Just got to be vigilant and your persistence will eventually pay off. November isn’t really the best time of year for snake activity, so that if going to effect your chances.

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: October 24th, 2012, 4:14 pm 

thank you friend - i will be on the lookout. The spot south of Julian looks like a prime den site, compared to what I've seen back east. I saw several rats among the rock/crags and alot of rat poop, I just don't know if the rattlesnakes den up out here, will be checking up on it and following your advice

PostPosted: October 30th, 2012, 10:15 am 

Look for rock outcroppings around Palomar mountain but be careful or you might end up like lamprophil :shock:

PostPosted: October 30th, 2012, 3:04 pm 

Rattlesnakes are everywhere in san diego county. Found a baby C. oreganus helleri on campus in central San Diego yesterday. Keep looking and you will eventually find one. Although starting February-March it will get much easier.

Andy

PostPosted: October 31st, 2012, 6:20 am 

Helleri?
Who wants to see one of those?
I try not to find them.
They are the easiest snake to find in the county,
Go way out in the sticks.....
Look in rocky situations.
But do watch where you out your hands ,
Because ad good Captain Uta mentioned,

Even the most experienced can and do get surprised from time to time!

PostPosted: October 31st, 2012, 6:45 am 

Helleri are everywhere. My dad had a neo Helleri on his front porch in Carlsbad on Sat morning!

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2012, 1:50 pm 

In Coastal Southern California, snakes don't winter den like they do in colder parts of the country. Near the coast here we get no freeze, and rarely get a morning frost. The snakes will congregate somewhat in good rocky shelters, but don't act anything like what you're used to in the NE.

As Will said, look for them on a warm morning or afternoon this month. Helleri love grassland and chaparral rock outcroppings. The Red Diamonds are usually near the rocks as well.

And as Bill said, helleri are probably the most common snake in our area. If you haven't found one yet, be patient. One is surely to find you!

Found these 5 a few days ago on the morning of Oct 31st.

Profile WWW