Moderator: Scott Waters

Hans Breuer (twoton)

"Let's Get Rational About Snakes"

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) » October 8th, 2012, 9:17 pm

Love it!

SnakeDude

Re: "Let's Get Rational About Snakes"

Post by SnakeDude » October 9th, 2012, 5:03 pm

My grandma DOES attack vending machines with garden hoes. Don't ask why... :roll: anyway, nice poster. where'd you find it?

Ian

Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) » October 9th, 2012, 9:40 pm

Facebook

ugh

Post by ugh » October 10th, 2012, 3:01 am

Liberal media conspiracy- gotta be!

swampwalker

Post by swampwalker » October 10th, 2012, 10:00 am

I love this post. Since moving to the Southeast, I've been shocked by the indiscriminate snake killing that goes on. My neighbor will proudly show me the snake he killed with his shovel, then in the next breath complain about rodent damage in his lawn.

I'm trying to think of ways to get the word out that snakes are beneficial to have around. I had a custom bumper sticker printed for my car that reads "let snakes live, we need them". I got a great response, so I'm going to print out a couple hundred and distribute them to my friends and local nature centers. I'm also thinking of making some informational pamphlets to distribute, similar to the one above but including more facts about why snakes are an important component of an ecosystem.

ugh

Post by ugh » October 10th, 2012, 3:02 pm

Swampwalker-
Aside from the rodent control benefit, also mention that:

a) the rodents they eat host/carry deer ticks in many cases, thus spreading the disease if there's not as many snakes around to eat them- i.e. the snakes fight the spread of lyme's disease and other tick-borne illnesses.
and

b) with all the fat-asses in the south eating all that fried food and waffles, etc. they in particular should appreciate that blood-thinners are made in part with snake venom.

Ironically I'm wondering now if most of the vending machine related fatalities happen in the south, we need to study that.... :lol:

Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) » October 10th, 2012, 7:48 pm

swampwalker wrote:I'm trying to think of ways to get the word out that snakes are beneficial to have around.
Give (free) talks about snakes in grade schools, if you have the time. Most young kids aren't brainwashed yet. This will get the word around, and the schools will appreciate the free biology lesson (and the teachers the tie "off"). PM me if you need pointers.
Aside from the rodent control benefit, also mention that:
...snakes are important food sources for many birds and mammals (and other snakes, but better not mention that)

rtdunham

Post by rtdunham » October 10th, 2012, 9:31 pm

ugh wrote:...
Ironically I'm wondering now if most of the vending machine related fatalities happen in the south, we need to study that.... :lol:
The danger comes when you're out and about, and focused on one vending machine and fail to see the other ones nearby because you're distracted, maybe even back into one of them. A lot of our Southern vending machine fatalities happen to people who are busy photographing one and...

BTW, the poster is from the Orianne society, which does great work protecting Indigos, among other things. Go to the website in the original post and you can sign up and support the organization's efforts. They were at the Daytona expo representing...

VICtort

Post by VICtort » October 10th, 2012, 10:20 pm

I agree with two ton, the children are the most likely way to change it. Culturally biased behavior is profoundly difficult to change, and I simply don't have the patience with the adults who are apparently choosing to be ignorant, to the point they are proud of it. Young enough children are sort of innocent, and that is a great place to make a difference I think. I would not count on school teachers for unreserved support, they are a varied lot, and not necessarily trained in zoology, they too should be part of your targeted audience Good luck, you will be fighitng an uphill battle but with time, it may change. In California, I believe it is better than when I was a kid, the attitude about killing snakes. I still hear a lot of Crotalus haters and hawk shooters, but fewer folks that just kill anything...Vic