Herping Lowcountry South Carolina

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

LowcountrySon

Herping Lowcountry South Carolina

Post by LowcountrySon »

Hey there all!
New member to the forum here. I just figured I would introduce myself with a few photos from around the Charleston area in South Carolina. So this is for all those that I've seen saying that there is no good herping near Charleston. Thanks for having me:)

Red-Bellied Watersnake in Shed
Red-Bellied Watersnake Shedding by PaulJacobs, on Flickr

Red-Bellied Watersnake
Red-Bellied Watersnake by PaulJacobs, on Flickr

And now on to the fun ones :thumb:
Southern Copperhead
Southern Copperhead by PaulJacobs, on Flickr

And the Canebrake!
Canebrake Rattler by PaulJacobs, on Flickr

Again, thanks for having me. I've learned a lot already just being an onlooker, but I'm excited to be a member now!
Kelly Mc

Re: Herping Lowcountry South Carolina

Post by Kelly Mc »

Gorgeous Work!!
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

One of the best nights I had on my X-country herping trip was over the border, into SC, down round Savannah Ga... :thumb: welcome to the forums. Are you considering entering your data in Nafha's Database, and becoming a Nafha member? jim
LowcountrySon

Post by LowcountrySon »

I hadn't looked in to that yet Jim. But thanks for the heads up. Is there a fee or anything? And thanks for the welcome! I really like this forum and the way people exchange information in a positive way unlike so many of the forums out there.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

No fees/dues to join Nafha... we are 'citizen scientists' contributing data to the database towards better resource management. You register at H.E.R.P, enter at least 1 record (hopefully more :crazyeyes: ) and pm your chapter Pres or Sec to add you as a chapter member... :thumb:
You can (soon) either retain control of your records, and their release, or opt to give the data to the database, to decide if and to whom the data should be released. We require GPS data, (which no one but you will be able to see) but have access to google maps on the entry pg which (once you zoom in and dlb click) enters GPS for you. Kinda fun actually... seeing the whole area, and then zooming in to the exact spot you found a herp. :D Lots of other cool features too... like seeing all your finds on google map, ect. :thumb: jim

PS... check the 'stickies' for things like 'How to enter data', ect and you might want to read an article I wrote for new members, on posting locality info online. (try search engine) Locality Release Online: A level headed approach.
LowcountrySon

Post by LowcountrySon »

Thanks a lot Jim, I've certainly got some herps to report. And thanks for taking the time to relay all of that lovely info!
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

Nice pics, LowcountrySon. Looking forward to seeing more. Welcome to the forum.
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Good stuff...
So this is for all those that I've seen saying that there is no good herping near Charleston. Thanks for having me:)
Wow, I'm suprised to hear someone said that.
We expect to see more! :thumb:

After you log into the DB and make an entry, go to the N.A.F.H.A. SE Chapter forum and list your name with Daniel on the topic "Chapter Officers and Membership List for 2012".
LowcountrySon

Post by LowcountrySon »

Thanks for all of the info on N.A.F.H.A. guys. I registered with the site and the forum.
DaveR

Post by DaveR »

Nice job LCS. Love that canebrake. Welcome to the best herp site on the internet.