Moderator: Scott Waters

Lizardman1988

A novel way to control cat populations

Post by Lizardman1988 »

The internet never fails to entertain.
VICtort

Re: A novel way to control cat populations

Post by VICtort »

That's hilarious, and probably about what it would take to get some cat owners to keep theirs' indoors and out of trouble...
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

I like it!
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

Brilliant!
Nir

Post by Nir »

It's not python that are good cat eaters...

VICtort

Post by VICtort »

[quote="Nir"]It's not python that are good cat eaters...

I have always like Bitis, and that is a very endearing photo...no better use for a feral cat. Did you shoot that photo? I would love to hear the story behind it. I remember visiting Lamu, Kenya, and it was unbelievable the number of feral cats there, unlike anything I have ever seen since. Once in a blue moon an eagle takes a cat here, and the stories abound about coyotes catching them, but even so, the cats are fecund and very abundant and seem little affected by native predators.
TimCole

Post by TimCole »

Awesome pics!
chrish

Post by chrish »

Ok, so I'm trying to understand that sign....

Either....

- someone who is taking cats to feed their pythons posted it,

or

- someone who knows the python owner posted it,

or

some cat hater posted it

or

some python hater posted it

Otherwise, how would a third party know what the cats which are being "stolen" are used for?

Besides, if I was a python owner, I would use dogs. They have less hair and they are less inclined to hurt a python during the constriction.
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

My interpretation is that the python is not real. The sign is an effort to get cat owners to keep their animals indoors.
VICtort

Post by VICtort »

Tamara D. McConnell wrote:My interpretation is that the python is not real. The sign is an effort to get cat owners to keep their animals indoors.
I'm with Tamara, us python owners don't usually tell where we get our food...(only kidding, I don't even own a python!)
Can you imagine the stink that would create if real and an offended owner stepped forward...hell hath no fury...
Vic
regalringneck

jg : A novel way to control cat populations

Post by regalringneck »

... because we appear to have way more kind folk on here than biologists ( venn diagram that relationship someone :p ) i will refrain from either throwing up the coyote shot nor one thats made the rounds; that of the python in the rafters dangling el gato : } that one is a must for anyone doing feral wildlife presentations, this gabby shot above should be there too. But cats are adorable, & native felines are beyond fascinating, and not so long ago, sylvestrus prolly played a sig role in our evolution w/ the first metropolisis-rattus-plague ? So ... to protect the softies you'll hafta pm me for that rafter shot or search the archives : }
gbin

Post by gbin »

Getting soft in your old age, John?... ;)

I've a sick kitty at home just now. He was running a fever over 105F when I took him to the vet yesterday, and he's still awfully lethargic and disinterested in food today although he seems somewhat better. No idea what the problem is/was as his lab work all came back negative (and no, he never puts a foot outside our house). I'm not sure why I'm bringing this up here; I guess it's just a matter of thinking about cats having me thinking about cats. That and the fact that I'm worried about him.

Gerry
gus

Post by gus »

A friend of mine found one of the cats he is using in a tracking study of feral cats in the belly of an olive python this week. His tracking collar showed that the cat hadn't moved in 2 days (send back a different signal if this happens, to tell the tracker its 'dead'). he tracked the individual to a small hole that the 5 kg cat wouldn't fit down. he dug it up to get his collar back and found a cat sized lump in the belly of an olive python :) There is photos, but unfortunately they're not mine to share.
Gus
FunkyRes

Post by FunkyRes »

My interpretation is someone did it just to be funny, probably little motive other than that.
Daryl Eby

Post by Daryl Eby »

Hope your cat recovers quickly and fully Gerry. Dealing with sick pets can be gut-wrenching.
gbin

Post by gbin »

Thanks, Daryl. He seems to be much better today, though still not his old self. Gut-wrenching is the word, all right. I was never fortunate enough to have children, but I can imagine how much worse it must be when they're too small to tell you what's wrong but something's obviously wrong with them. Sick pets are bad enough! Maybe I should pursue that DVM...

Gerry
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

I remember seeing on the television news a few years ago some dude went to jail here in Arizona when it became known that he was feeding greased up puppies to his python.

http://www.pet-abuse.com/cases/11319/AZ/US/

Dave
Nir

Post by Nir »

VICtort wrote:
Nir wrote:It's not python that are good cat eaters...

I have always like Bitis, and that is a very endearing photo...no better use for a feral cat. Did you shoot that photo? I would love to hear the story behind it. I remember visiting Lamu, Kenya, and it was unbelievable the number of feral cats there, unlike anything I have ever seen since. Once in a blue moon an eagle takes a cat here, and the stories abound about coyotes catching them, but even so, the cats are fecund and very abundant and seem little affected by native predators.
I would also love to hear the story behind this photo as it is not mine...

I would love to give credit to the original photographer, but it is an old photo that as been lying on my computer forever... I don't even remember where I saw the original. Cool photo though!
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Here's another.
San Nicolas Island is the fifth largest island in the world to have successfully removed all feral cats, and it is the largest one to do so without the use of poison.
http://www.fws.gov/endangered/news/epis ... index.html

Cheers,
Jimi
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Jimi

Are they planning on reintroducing the Bald Eagles on San Nick?

Dave
DaveR

Post by DaveR »

Gerry...You have my sympathy. I love my dogs and agonize over any illness or problem. I've always had big dogs and I spoil them rotten. I've been blessed with some great pooches. My last two big guys lived to 14. I had a great Vet put them to sleep when their health failed right in my own house while I held them. The experience was very difficult but both dogs, Casey (in 1996) and Buddy (in 2006) were ready, and very peaceful during the event. It actually was a very spiritual experience.
I "abstained' from dogs for all of two years before rescuing a little 1 year old long haired chihuahua. Currently we have three little guys - two chihuahuas and a long haired miniature dacshund. They keep me busy, but I love them and they are part of our family.
I know a lot of people think I'm crazy. I have little to no affection for the herps I keep...I value them, but there is no affection. I do love my dogs...and they reciprocate with unconditional affection (I think it is love) and innocence.
I'm rambling...and I know I'm WAY off topic on this thread. Hope your pet is OK Gerry.
gbin

Post by gbin »

Sounds like you're a great pet owner, Dave! "Part of the family" is the way to put it, all right. Our cat's appetite still isn't back to normal, but he's definitely recovering from whatever it was. Thanks much for your kind thoughts.

Gerry
Kevin Messenger

Post by Kevin Messenger »

not sure if everyone has seen this link yet:
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/cats_actually_kill
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

I must admit, the first time I was in the vet's office and read that a local organization was catching feral cats, neutering them, and then releasing them to the wild, I came unglued!
"Releasining them back" I blurted out incredulously.

I asked the vet why in heaven’s name would the cats be released?

Before the vet could answer, a lady in the waiting room said. “Oh, you must be a “dog person.”
I can only guess that this women taxonomically classifies all people on earth by their pets!

Kevin, the threat to us all from murderous cats is high, but not as high as the carnage of a marshmallow rabbit war:

gbin

Post by gbin »

Kevin Messenger wrote:not sure if everyone has seen this link yet:
Wow, that's a great link, Kevin! :thumb: I'm going to keep track of that one to share with others.

I've had that same experience, Bill, even when I started the conversation with them by talking with obviously warm feeling about my beloved cat. It's funny - and sad - how many people pretend that if you don't agree with them then it must just be because you can't relate to them in some way. That a rational thought process led you to a different view than them, well, that's simply unthinkable.

Gerry
DaveR

Post by DaveR »

Looks like a scene from "Bwaveheart" ...all the dead, bloody wabbits.
salamanderhunter

Post by salamanderhunter »

gbin

Post by gbin »

Holy cow! That's one ambitious owl!

Gerry
TravisK

Post by TravisK »

salamanderhunter wrote:Check out this trail cam photo... http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater
My 16 pound Dachshund was attacked by a Great Horned Owl. The owl got more than he bargained for, but so did my dog.
Lireptiles

Post by Lireptiles »

Sorry...this was sent to me a while back and I couldn't resist reposting....

jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Kevin Messenger wrote:not sure if everyone has seen this link yet:

A friend just showed that to me a few days ago. I laughed hard several times.

Do you guys remember the story where the teacher got in big trouble because he was going to feed a litter of unwanted puppies to the classroom python?

Having seen the terrible lives that stray dogs go through all over the place, it was probably a win-win situation, but still something that you have to realize won't fly around kids and concerned parents.
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Years ago, a major Florida University in their Zöö lab had a stuffed python with a lump in it.
A sign labeled it "Happiness is a warm puppy!"
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Jimi

Are they planning on reintroducing the Bald Eagles on San Nick?

Dave
No idea. If interested one could sniff around easily enough. Use search terms like "Integrated Natural Resource Management Plan". All DoD installations with significant natural resource values are required to have an INRMP - a 5-year plan with triple signature from FWS, the state wildlife agency, and the military.

INRMPs are "steering plans". Eagle reintroduction would need to be in there first, to become a realistic "this could actually happen" idea down the road.

Such step-down implementation projects often require their own clearances or even plans. The cat thing is an example. Here's something that might interest folks:
http://www.darrp.noaa.gov/southwest/mon ... Nic_EA.pdf

An excerpt from the table of contents -
Feral Cats Prey on Native Species, Including the Federally Threatened Island
Night Lizard and Western Snowy Plover

Cheers,
Jimi
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Jimi .... Thanks for the info. I'll look into it!

Dave