Alabama salamander id help

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Darkhorse

Alabama salamander id help

Post by Darkhorse »

Alright crew, Matt and I need help iding a group of sallies that we found this weekend in Madison Co.,AL. I was fortunate enough to have Matt take me out while I was in his area for a dog show. We found several herps due to the 80ish temps. These sallies were juvies(I assume) together in a rocky crevice on a mixed forest hillside not near water. I believe they are unstriped P.ventralis, but cannot find pictures to confirm this. I hope our chapter members can help us with this. All pics taken by phone so be be tolerant.
Thanks
Chris Montross
[img]http:/Image
Nigel Smith

Re: Alabama salamander id help

Post by Nigel Smith »

Plethodon dorsalis (Eastern Zigzag Salamander) Lead phase.
Darkhorse

Post by Darkhorse »

Thanks Nigel, is dorsalis still used? I am finding dorsalis for more northerly and ventralis for southerly above webster range. I can't keep up with the changes. I enjoyed herping the road with you, even dead end roads with pear trees.
Chris
Nigel Smith

Post by Nigel Smith »

Hey Chris. I think your right about them being ventralis.

Had a great time with you as well. Those pears were delicious. Either that or I was ravenously hungry. Probaly both. :thumb:
Matt Arnold

Post by Matt Arnold »

Nice, Chris, your shots turned out a lot better than mine. Good seeing you as always.. also, the ones I found in the spring were def. this too, just adults. Much easier to tell now that your pictures are blown up. Post up the shots of the little rat and racer too!