Re: Some Carolina Critters

Post by Steve Atkins » November 14th, 2012, 6:04 pm

not herps, but if you find elk interesting:

thats all for now, thanks for looking
Steve Atkins

Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell » November 14th, 2012, 6:06 pm

Absolutely dazzling. You are SUCH a gifted visual artist.
I can't possibly pick a favorite.

Coluber Constrictor

Post by Coluber Constrictor » November 14th, 2012, 6:19 pm

I think you have already posted some of these, but I certainly didn't mind seeing them again! Amazing stuff as usual. :beer:

ugh

Post by ugh » November 14th, 2012, 6:24 pm

Holy shit those are excellent images.
I like the black bear shot in particular; I recognize that look, like you captured it right as he noticed you
And the wood stork- I can't figure it out it actually does appear to have 4 legs.....???

Jason B

Post by Jason B » November 14th, 2012, 7:19 pm

Excellent shots again, Steve. The big elk with the big oak is a masterpiece.

Jb

BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan » November 15th, 2012, 6:06 am

OK, Steve,
I may have to pull this post.

You very well know that ducking your children is illegal in NC.
A fowl move like this could later cause them to hate Canard à l'Orange or never use webcrawler search engine.
The boy looks a little down in the mouth.
;)

rip18

Post by rip18 » November 15th, 2012, 8:18 am

What an absolute great image collection from a few months. I'm unable to pick a favorite either. Thank you for sharing!

ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit » November 15th, 2012, 11:09 am

BillMcGighan wrote: A fowl move like this
and
BillMcGighan wrote: The boy looks a little down in the mouth.
I see what you did there. :lol:

I love these photos. I'm going to bookmark this thread so I can have something to look at when I need a smile. :)

dery

Post by dery » November 15th, 2012, 1:39 pm

are those elk wild??or are they farmed?? nice pics.

Steve Atkins

Post by Steve Atkins » November 15th, 2012, 4:47 pm

ugh wrote: And the wood stork- I can't figure it out it actually does appear to have 4 legs.....???[/

:D
dery wrote:are those elk wild??or are they farmed?? nice pics.
They are wild, from the Cattaloochee Valley in GSMNP. If you have never witnessed an elk rut, make a plan to get Cattaloochee next year, first couple weeks of October, you won't be disappointed.
BillMcGighan wrote:OK, Steve,

A fowl move like this could later cause them to hate Canard à l'Orange or never use webcrawler search engine.
;)
Don't pull another one ;) These days my computer hates photobucket for some reason, it takes entirely too long for me to put a post like this together, besides, I live close enough to the border of Tennessee, where child ducking was just decriminalized in the last election. Just try and prove that picture was taken in NC. :D

Actually, that picture was taken at the Aflac office, turns out they are just like every other insurance company

dery

Post by dery » November 15th, 2012, 5:01 pm

fox cove 4 wrote:
ugh wrote: And the wood stork- I can't figure it out it actually does appear to have 4 legs.....???[/

:D
dery wrote:are those elk wild??or are they farmed?? nice pics.
They are wild, from the Cattaloochee Valley in GSMNP. If you have never witnessed an elk rut, make a plan to get Cattaloochee next year, first couple weeks of October, you won't be disappointed.
BillMcGighan wrote:OK, Steve,

;)
Don't pull another one ;) These days my computer hates photobucket for some reason, it takes entirely too long for me to put a post like this together, besides, I live close enough to the border of Tennessee, where child ducking was just decriminalized in the last election. Just try and prove that picture was taken in NC. :D

Actually, that picture was taken at the Aflac office, turns out they are just like every other insurance company
been to GSMNP never noticed elk ill look next visit for sure :thumb: . maybe ill have a duck step on me next time i take the less than 60min trip to the al-tn boarder. :lol:

Steve Atkins

Post by Steve Atkins » November 15th, 2012, 6:02 pm

Its all about your timing, last week in September, and the first couple weeks in october. You can't access the Cattalooche Valley from the main part of the park, between Gatlinburg and Cherokee. Although a few elk have made it that far, the largest herds are in the Cataloochee Valley, which has it's own entrance om the other side of the park near Maggie Valley. You want to show up as early in the morning as you can, or in the evening. It can get pretty crowded in the evening.

Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook » November 15th, 2012, 6:40 pm

Great post, man. You always have a well balanced set of finds. What's your set-up for those salamander larvae shots?

FastSnake17

Post by FastSnake17 » November 15th, 2012, 6:55 pm

Fox, just wanted to say that I think your photos are probably my favorites posted on here. I really love the ratsnake on the post in this set.

Herpetologist115

Post by Herpetologist115 » November 15th, 2012, 8:29 pm

Amazing Photography! Some of the best I have ever seen.

Steve Atkins

Post by Steve Atkins » November 16th, 2012, 4:01 am

Josh Holbrook wrote:Great post, man. You always have a well balanced set of finds. What's your set-up for those salamander larvae shots?
for those i used a very clean 1 gallon aquarium, nikon, f2.8 macro. i used a speedlight 600 flash on slave mode so it wasnt attached to the camera. My son held it over the tank so there was no glare on the glass. afterwords we let them go back into their pool.

Darkhorse

Post by Darkhorse » November 16th, 2012, 6:14 am

Super pictoral. I love the boxie and shroom.
Chris

Neil M

Post by Neil M » November 16th, 2012, 7:45 pm

Love the foxes and a great post in all!

Neil

Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook » November 17th, 2012, 10:57 am

fox cove 4 wrote:
Josh Holbrook wrote:Great post, man. You always have a well balanced set of finds. What's your set-up for those salamander larvae shots?
for those i used a very clean 1 gallon aquarium, nikon, f2.8 macro. i used a speedlight 600 flash on slave mode so it wasnt attached to the camera. My son held it over the tank so there was no glare on the glass. afterwords we let them go back into their pool.

Excellent. Thanks.

BDSkinner

Post by BDSkinner » November 17th, 2012, 7:19 pm

Love it. Really wish we got those snakes around here (or for me to actually get something other than nerodia).

And the welleri!

I've also seen those elk, wonderful animals and so close to home. It was much different than seeing them out west.

You make me want to spend all my money, just to try and get up to taking some macro shots like you.

Thanks again!

-bradley

Steve Atkins

Post by Steve Atkins » November 18th, 2012, 7:04 am

BDSkinner wrote:Love it. Really wish we got those snakes around here (or for me to actually get something other than nerodia).

And the welleri!

I've also seen those elk, wonderful animals and so close to home. It was much different than seeing them out west.

You make me want to spend all my money, just to try and get up to taking some macro shots like you.

Thanks again!

-bradley
Aside from the hog nose, all those snakes were found in wnc.

If you are shooting with a nikon, I have a macro lens I would sell you on the cheap.

The welleri are in a "beautiful" spot that Bill showed me. They seem to be pretty plentiful there. We were looking for yonahlossees and found a welleri. I have been back a few times since and can usually find a few. also not very far from you.

BDSkinner

Post by BDSkinner » November 18th, 2012, 4:48 pm

I've been to a few good welleri spots around here as well, love those things. I guess I haven't concentrated much on finding good snake habitat around here. Hell, I've only seen one lizard in watauga co out of the seven years being here :/ Maybe I do focus too much on salamanders.

As of now, my only camera is a Richo point and shoot, but I plan to make upgrades before next year.

BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan » November 19th, 2012, 7:56 am

Just a semi-related note, FC4.

About 2 months ago we were hiking in that same general area, and Sophie the snake dog was running at high speed with her sister, Katie the collie. She (Sophie) ran over and trampled right the head of a Timber, who was crossing a grassy area!
The dogs didn’t even notice the snake. They were too busy chasing each other!

The Timber never paid any attention to either dog (thank goodness), but went into a defensive coil when I moved in to block them from doing it again (My wife sometimes reacts the same way to me.)

As trampled,

Defensive

PS
On my side of the mountain (Jean Craighead George forgive me for that reference), our duck law passed was that you could marry a duck.
I wasn't sure so I checked with my wife. I said, "Sis, can you marry a duck in TN?"
She responded, "That's just too easy. I did."

Daniel D Dye

Post by Daniel D Dye » November 19th, 2012, 10:06 am

Josh Holbrook wrote:
fox cove 4 wrote:

Excellent. Thanks.
Very much like my studio setup, including the camera equipment.

Great stuff here, Steve...just plain wonderful! :thumb:

Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski » November 19th, 2012, 4:55 pm

The lighting in ALL your posts is amazing...do you ever have anything but yummy, soft, overcast days there? :lol:

The cicada and leaf hoppers are super intruiging up close.

Thanks for yet another top shelf post, man!

Tim

Grass709

Post by Grass709 » November 20th, 2012, 4:24 pm

Your post and pictures are ALWAYS perfect. Thanks, incredible shots!!!

Steve Atkins

Post by Steve Atkins » November 20th, 2012, 7:47 pm

BillMcGighan wrote:Just a semi-related note, FC4.

About 2 months ago we were hiking in that same general area, and Sophie the snake dog was running at high speed with her sister, Katie the collie. She (Sophie) ran over and trampled right the head of a Timber, who was crossing a grassy area!

The Timber never paid any attention to either dog (thank goodness), but went into a defensive coil when I moved in to block them from doing it again (My wife sometimes reacts the same way to me.)

As trampled,

PS
On my side of the mountain (Jean Craighead George forgive me for that reference), our duck law passed was that you could marry a duck.
I wasn't sure so I checked with my wife. I said, "Sis, can you marry a duck in TN?"
Ha!
Me and my ducks may have to move tn.

I thought you said Sophie was a snake dog
Where was the timber, altitude wise, compared to the parking lot where we hiked that day with both my kids? The only snake I have seen up there has been 1 lonely ringneck, but I am always looking for salamanders

dery

Post by dery » November 20th, 2012, 7:51 pm

fox cove 4 wrote:
BillMcGighan wrote:Just a semi-related note, FC4.

As trampled,

PS
Ha!
Me and my ducks may have to move tn.

Where was the timber, altitude wise, compared to the parking lot where we hiked that day with both my kids? The only snake I have seen up there has been 1 lonely ringneck, but I am always looking for salamanders
hmmm can we marry herps and arachnids in tn???

BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan » November 24th, 2012, 8:01 am

Sam asked
OK,Sam, that's just silly. We were trying to be serious here.
:) :) ;) ;)

A little lower (about a thousand feet lower). Next time you are going to hit that area, call me for directions.

She has quickly become "Sophie the snack dog"!

Our previous dog, Buddy, was a "snake wrangler" without hurting the snake. Here he is in 2008 with a Gopher in SE AZ.

dery

Post by dery » November 24th, 2012, 9:17 am

BillMcGighan wrote:Sam asked
OK,Sam, that's just silly. We were trying to be serious here.
:) :) ;) ;)

A little lower (about a thousand feet lower). Next time you are going to hit that area, call me for directions.

She has quickly become "Sophie the snack dog"!

Our previous dog, Buddy, was a "snake wrangler" without hurting the snake. Here he is in 2008 with a Gopher in SE AZ.

Image[/quotei wasn't meaning to be serious. who on here hasn't posted a joke or two?? :lol:

Robert McManus

Post by Robert McManus » January 2nd, 2013, 8:31 am

Some very nice shots here. Boy, I love Carolina! I live in Canada and unfortunately have only made it down a couple of times in early March (wish I could visit a few weeks later) so I am yet to see an Eastern King. Must be nice to get them in your yard, even if it is only twice in ten years.

MCHerper

Post by MCHerper » February 8th, 2013, 5:45 pm

I don't know how I missed this thread before. Every one of these pictures is amazing!! Thank you for sharing!