RFI: Indigos or Cribos eating Raccoons

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Jason B

RFI: Indigos or Cribos eating Raccoons

Post by Jason B »

I'm sure Drymarchon occasionally take newborn Procyon, but has anyone seen it happen or know of an account in the literature?
dery

Re: RFI: Indigos or Cribos eating Raccoons

Post by dery »

Idk if they can take something that big, but definally newborn coons for adults. Indigos and cribos can't unhinge their jaws. Their prey is anything they can fit in their mouth.
VICtort

Post by VICtort »

Jason, not to be contrary where you may have local knowledge, but I have to be skeptical. I keep 10 easterns, and even the impessivley large males just don't eat large items, at least not nearly so large as a comparable body massed Boa or Python or Viper might. It has taken me a long time to learn/accept this. In fact, they eat large numbers of smallish items. Now maybe a really tiny southern raccoon might work out, but not our big and robust NW 'coons. My 7 ft. and stout males can not eat a jumbo rat, and a large adult bull frog or adult coturnix quail is not easy... I saw Alan B's photos of a huge D.c. rubidus cribo ingesting a fetal pig once, but that was an exception and that prey is conveniently shaped for swallowing. I also observe that indigos often ingest items in the least convenient way, often taking them backwards, upside down, sideways, wing first, etc. This suggests to me they are used to eating relatively small items. I would think most raccoons, especially with an attentive mother would be a formidable challenge for an indigo to prey on.

They really do seem well adapted to eating snakes, which they do with "gusto" and even then, often take them other ways besides head first. I love my indigos, but I am not convinced of their reputed " superior intelligence"...but that is another topic. I think raccoons down south have more to fear from Burmese pythons and 'gators at the water hole... Vic
dery

Post by dery »

VICtort wrote:Jason, not to be contrary where you may have local knowledge, but I have to be skeptical. I keep 10 easterns, and even the impessivley large males just don't eat large items, at least not nearly so large as a comparable body massed Boa or Python or Viper might. It has taken me a long time to learn/accept this. In fact, they eat large numbers of smallish items. Now maybe a really tiny southern raccoon might work out, but not our big and robust NW 'coons. My 7 ft. and stout males can not eat a jumbo rat, and a large adult bull frog or adult coturnix quail is not easy... I saw Alan B's photos of a huge D.c. rubidus cribo ingesting a fetal pig once, but that was an exception and that prey is conveniently shaped for swallowing. I also observe that indigos often ingest items in the least convenient way, often taking them backwards, upside down, sideways, wing first, etc. This suggests to me they are used to eating relatively small items. I would think most raccoons, especially with an attentive mother would be a formidable challenge for an indigo to prey on.

They really do seem well adapted to eating snakes, which they do with "gusto" and even then, often take them other ways besides head first. I love my indigos, but I am not convinced of their reputed " superior intelligence"...but that is another topic. I think raccoons down south have more to fear from Burmese pythons and 'gators at the water hole... Vic
How old was the hog??? And was the cribbo about the size of an annaconda?? :lol:
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

Dery - he said it was a fetal hog.
dery

Post by dery »

Josh Holbrook wrote:Dery - he said it was a fetal hog.
:shock: Right :lol: still pretty difficult if the mother's around.
Brian Folt

Post by Brian Folt »

An interesting thought to entertain. A quick search of "Drymarchon" and "Procyon" in the zoological record database did not reveal any records.
dery

Post by dery »

which zoological database??
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Hey, JB,
You've probably seen this by now, but if you haven't:

http://www.oriannesociety.org/sites/def ... 0Snake.pdf

I see no mention of Ranger Rick.
Kevin Messenger

Post by Kevin Messenger »

man, whoever did the names was following some weird guide.
"North American Racer"
"Red-bellied Mudsnake"
"Red cornsnake"
Andy Avram

Post by Andy Avram »

dery wrote: Right still pretty difficult if the mother's around.
The mother would have to be around. In fact all around the snake as it slithered into the womb to eat the fetal pig... or... more likely it was a fetal pig that was harvested from the slaughtered mother, commonly use in biology dissections.
Kevin Messenger wrote:man, whoever did the names was following some weird guide.
"North American Racer"
"Red-bellied Mudsnake"
"Red cornsnake"
I would call CNAH weird before the SSAR...

Andy
Kevin Messenger

Andy Avram wrote: I would call CNAH weird before the SSAR...
Definitely. I didn't look up to see who they were using. You aren't trying to say they were using SSAR were you? Those names are just ridiculous. I'm hoping they were following CNAH
Andy Avram

Post by Andy Avram »

It is SSAR.
Kevin Messenger

what the hell.... well that's disappointing to hear. I'll try my best to swallow those names
Andy Avram

Post by Andy Avram »

Yeah, but at least they keep in check some of the wacky splits CNAH recognizes. I am not a fan of making everyhting that ends with "snake" one word... "cornsnake", "gartersnake", etc... And as far as North American Racer and Red-bellied Mudsnake, those are just the species names, the subspecies names are the same as we would normally use.
Kevin Messenger

gotcha, that makes it a bit better
Coluber Constrictor

Post by Coluber Constrictor »

Stohlgren

Post by Stohlgren »

dery wrote:Indigos and cribos can't unhinge their jaws.
The same can really be said about all snakes.
dery

Post by dery »

Wait, I thought constricting snakes such as rats, boas, and pythons had more flexable jaws. :?
Stohlgren

Post by Stohlgren »

Flexible, yes. Unhinging? Not quite.