Anyone else look for salamanders on Monday?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

corey.raimond

Anyone else look for salamanders on Monday?

Post by corey.raimond »

With it being a high of 65 and rainy on Monday Dec 3, I did a quick drive by of a few ponds near Madison. I didn't see anything. Anyone else go out looking?

-Corey

Curtis Hart

Re: Anyone else look for salamanders on Monday?

Post by Curtis Hart »

I drove some back roads during the day and saw 4 Painted Turtles at two sites on the 3rd. The evening of the 1st there was a Spotted Salamander on my front steps. I had never seen one at the house before, so it was a nice surprise.

Curtis

corey.raimond

Post by corey.raimond »

Wow, so they were definitely out then, thanks for the info. I heard a spring peeper calling from the forest (not from a pond) on Sunday (Dec 2.)

-Corey

matt ignoffo

Post by matt ignoffo »

Neato!

I can actually spy on tiger salamanders year-round. They come out whenever it is a tad warm (above freezing) and precipitation. They hang out in the bottom of just one drainage sewer in the parking lot of my son's elementary school.

Probably could have had some unique personal records for December this yr. Jan/Feb last yr. I've lost a little motivation the last couple years though.

JBBoiler

Post by JBBoiler »

It was 71 degrees with some sun here in NW Indiana. I actually checked some boards thinking I might be able to find a December garter or brown snake. No luck on the snakes, but I also saw four to five painted turtles basking. They were quick to get into the water. Anything in December is pretty exciting.

JB