You know you're a herper if...

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

salamanderhunter

You know you're a herper if...

Post by salamanderhunter »

you've referred to a pregnant woman as gravid. you've actually road cruised a rubber snake. you're car has no reverse.... Actually, we had a thread on here on this subject...but I can't find it....was that pre-crash? thanks!
Rich in Reptiles

Re: You know you're a herper if...

Post by Rich in Reptiles »

Rofl! I'm getting in the habit of accidentally calling pregnant mammals "gravid" too...

You know you're a herper when you walk in the pet store and say "where's the reptile isle?"
dery

Post by dery »

No rubber snakes yet, but do road gators count??
Soopaman

Post by Soopaman »

dery wrote:No rubber snakes yet, but do road gators count??
Dery, your "?" key seems to be sticking a lot, you might try popping the key off and cleaning under it, or deleting the extra question marks you seem to be getting.

Also, you know you're a herper when you regularly browse an online forum just for herping!
Nigel Smith

Post by Nigel Smith »

If a pile of trash like this gets you exited.
Ruxs

Post by Ruxs »

you're stopping every 5 minutes for a DOR.
VAS

Post by VAS »

Spring or summer nights you can identify the frog jumping in the road by the way it jumps or hops in the car's headlight beam. And if there is a non herper in the car you get the damnest look followed by the statement "this may seem like a silly question". Which of coarse you answer the questions as if they are normal every day questions.

Or slam on the brakes and get out of your vehicle block traffic to examine a DOR in the ceter of the road and depending on the species set up you camera gear in the middel of the road on the gravel/pavement to take a picture of said DOR. Imagine what the other drivers are thinking...lol

This is the one that gets me with the big open eyed WTF look. Early spring week day morning show at work looking llike hell. Co worker asks looks like you were up all night and didn't get any sleep. Where was the party? Your reply Party there was no party. It starting raining last night around 10pm so i went Herping and had one hell of a night pul camera from bag showing them pictures and start listing off species you found. End conversation with got home around 3am I hope it rains again tonight.

Cant wait till spring.

Scott.
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

VAS wrote:Or slam on the brakes and get out of your vehicle block traffic to examine a DOR in the ceter of the road and depending on the species set up you camera gear in the middel of the road on the gravel/pavement to take a picture of said DOR.
I know this is intended to be a fun, humorous thread, but impeding traffic is illegal in many states. Not only that, it can be dangerous to yourself and others!

Excitement aside, it's best to pull completely off the road in a safe location (i.e. not on a bend in the road or just over a hill).

:beer:
VAS

Post by VAS »

Chris,

Thank You are correct and i am sorry if i may have made it sound as if it was an OK thing to do my bad :oops: .

Scott
Raymond McConnell

Post by Raymond McConnell »

you've actually road cruised a rubber snake.
Tamara has three rubber snakes on the dashboard of her car, two we found this year and one from last year. We also found another one last year in Apalachicola but she flung that one into the bushes. Maybe there needs to be a database category for them. If anyone wants to look for more, I have GPS coordinates on them.
Raymond McConnell

Post by Raymond McConnell »

you've actually road cruised a rubber snake.
Tamara has three rubber snakes on the dashboard of her car, two we found this year and one from last year. We also found another one last year in Apalachicola but she flung that one into the bushes. Maybe there needs to be a database category for them. If anyone wants to look for more, I have GPS coordinates on them.
sstaedtler

Post by sstaedtler »

When you are in Florida, employees driving golf carts around at night have to ask you what you are doing with a flashlight in the parking lot. :)
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

I remember this thread also, it ended up in the boardline I think. I also definitely want to say it was post crash so it should still be there, but I could be wrong.

I'm bored at the moment so I'll bite...

You know you're a herper if you get irritated when someone calls a snake poisonous, I have to bite back an automatic response everytime. There is a time and place for educating, other times you just sound pompous.

You know you're a herper when all your friends are complaining about winter for various reasons like "ughh its too cold to walk places", "I don't like shoveling snow", "I hate winter fashion", etc...and the only thing going through your mind is; "I hate winter because I cant find any herps."

Also seasonal...You think of spring time as salamander breeding season... On that note you're actually happy about rain and want to be out and about for it.

You pick your vacations/trips on the herpetological merit of the locations, even if you won't always admit it. I know the first thing I do when considering going somewhere is hop on the internet and figure out what herps I can find there and if its worth going.

And finally you know you're herper when your first thought when hearing the word herps has nothing to do with unfortunate bar hookups, cold sores, and VD, STDs, STIs or whatever the term being used right now is.
salamanderhunter

Post by salamanderhunter »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Great stuff guys. You know you're a herper if you go to meet your new girlfriends parents for the first time...and you've flipped everything in their yard before you even get to the door. ....if you know roughly how many fan belts and banana peels are on a given stretch of road at any one time. ...if you can drive backwards like a rock star. I should admit that most of these are ones i remember from the other thread...so i cant take credit. We should put the top ten on a t-shirt.
Rich in Reptiles

Post by Rich in Reptiles »

Also...... You know you're a herper if you stare at peoples' boots, figuring out what kind of reptilian skin it is.
Paul White

Post by Paul White »

I've burned a U turn on a (relatively unused) stretch of I-27 nearby only to find a rubber snake (and it was a rubber snake, not a belt, tire, or any other various debris). The language I was impolitic. I was on the way to try to buy my wife a nighttime nursing bra and there was this snake perfectly coiled in the middle of the road...I think I left tire marks.