Sea Turtle tracks identification

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Hunter-MX

Sea Turtle tracks identification

Post by Hunter-MX »

In the mornings when I walk the beach I enjoy seeing the tracks of the turtles that have nested the previous night. Pretty much they are all the same, Olive Ridley's. Our most common turtle. This morning I came across 3 sets of different tracks. These are much narrower, 2 ft or less, they have a different flipper pattern, a distinct tail mark and the female dug 3 to 4 nest sites possibly as decoys. So I am hoping someone here can help ID these tracks.

What I know they are NOT: Olive-Ridley, Leatherback and Loggerhead. Thanks, and here is a shot of a hatchling Olive-Ridley headed into the water this morning. He escaped the turtle pen where they incubate the eggs.

Edit: Forgot to mention I am on the Pacific coast of Mexico in the state of Guerrero.

gretzkyrh4

Re: Sea Turtle tracks identification

Post by gretzkyrh4 »

Research and Management Techniques for the Conservation of Sea Turtles (1999) includes descriptions of tracks. It may help you decide.

http://mtsg.files.wordpress.com/2010/11 ... ull-en.pdf

Chris
Hunter-MX

Post by Hunter-MX »

Thanks Chris. I read through the info but was unable to match anything. Appreciate the effort.
sdbeazley

Post by sdbeazley »

Could it possibly be a Hawksbill track? I didn't see any huge nesting beaches for them in Western Mexico, but that could mean she is coming back after 20 or so years post hatching.
Sea Turtles tracks can also vary wildly within the species. Loggerheads and Hawksbills both alternate flippers and can leave a tail drag (zig-zag even?) or dimple. Sand consistency and individual temperament of the turtle leads to variants in tracks that I have seen. In Florida I have seen tracks (and the adult) of "Logger-Greens" and I have seen some self suspected "Hawksbill-green" hybrid tracks in Costa Rica and they had characteristics of both species.
PNWHerper

Post by PNWHerper »

Hunter-MX,

Wish I could be of more help with sea turtle tracks. I am still just learning them myself. My exposure to them is largely limited to green sea turtles in Hawai'i.

Here is the best green sea turtle trail photo I have from Oahu.

Those photos you took are beautiful. I would love to add some sea turtle trails to the herp tracking book if people have some they want to contribute.
tai haku

Post by tai haku »

based solely on the size I'd be leaning towards Hawksbill
Hunter-MX

Post by Hunter-MX »

I think Hawksbill is a real possibility. I didn't give them much thought because it is not a turtle we see here. But after googling their track I see a couple of images close enough to make think probably. Thanks all