Costa Rica wedding ?s

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

AndyO'Connor

Costa Rica wedding ?s

Post by AndyO'Connor » December 26th, 2012, 4:27 am

My sister is getting married in June of 2013 and my family is planning on Costa Rica as a destination. She wants a beach wedding, and then the whole family is basically free to do as individuals please for the week afterwards. So I have a few questions as an exact location has not yet been chosen.

1. Has anyone gotten married/been to a wedding or honeymooned in a location suitable for it in Costa Rica? Where would you recommend?

2. Even if you weren't there for that purpose, are there any suggestions for hotel/resort like areas that would be suitable.

3. This is not as important as I will be willing to rent a car and drive to other areas, but how is the herping in areas close to locations that fit the above questions? How is Costa Rica in June?

There may be things I am not thinking of asking but I am hoping there is some very specific answers as I seem to recall several posts that would answer these ?s over the years.

Jacob

Re: Costa Rica wedding ?s

Post by Jacob » December 27th, 2012, 7:45 am

1. How long are you staying?
2. Caribbean or Pacific coast?
3. North or South?

I spent my honeymoon in CR and loved it! We went in January a couple of years ago and had a blast. North CR was more agriculture and "dry" rainforest versus south, which is more like what you expect with thundering jungles. We stayed on the Pacific side and traveled along the coast for two weeks, staying in honeymoon specific hotels. I wouldn't recommend them unless you want to be completely secluded from everything-including trails and good roads! The concept I got was that honeymoons were meant to be spent in the bed for the entire trip, which is not ideal for any herper in CR. There are some nice surf towns that are fully prepared for weddings and I would recommend those. Look around the north pacific coast. I did not see many herps bc I was with the wife and she preferred me not to go out alone...red flag, jk. Any where you go, just visit the parks and ask around for guides. I am sure will be satisfied.

AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor » December 27th, 2012, 9:12 am

1. Around a week, give or take some days, 5-10 days.
2 and 3. Those are what I was looking for references for, as it is open. My sister asked me to do some research, it's her wedding, she just picked Costa Rica because she wants a small family only destination wedding in a tropical place, and she knew the rest of the family can come with me and explore while her and her fiance do the honeymoon stuff.

I looked at Manuel Antonio NP area, as there seems to be enough to keep the family happy, and although it doesn't look like the best herping destination, beggers can't be choosers and I could always get a car and go elsewhere on my time.

Jacob

Post by Jacob » December 27th, 2012, 10:03 am

Manuel Antonio would be a great choice but it would be in the middle of most places that your family would probably want to go. If you can get closer to Corcovado, then you would be in a great area for lots of things. From that area, you can take plenty of tours around the mangroves, islands, snorkel, etc. and you will still have access to a great park too. I think either one will be good.

I think you are on the right path and the main thing to look at will be weather...hopefully others will chime in about the condition of CR during June.

And don't forget that CR is great no matter where you go.

DanW

Post by DanW » December 31st, 2012, 10:35 am

http://www.haciendabaru.com/

Got married there on the beach 2 years ago, it was amazing. Been meaning to post about it. It was cheap, the owner arranged a shuttle pickup from SJO for most of our party. Miles of trails, decent number of herps. Found Tree boas and caiman every night as well as vine snake, turtles, milk frog, etc.

Feel free to pm me if you have more questions.

Dan

AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor » January 5th, 2013, 2:05 pm

Well my mom was in charge of making the final decision for the family and she booked Cancun. I'll still go herping the majority of the 12 days. Thanks for the answers here, I'll make a new post about Cancun.