My 2012 - herps and whatnot

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Bobbleton

Post by Bobbleton »

Well I haven't done this in a while - my year in herps. I started the year in NJ. Here we go:

Blue-spot x jefferson

Wood frog

NJ Chorus Frog

This young racer was among the early risers this spring.

YOY Pines

At this point began my annual spring trip . . . The ultimate destination was the FL panhandle (as usual), but included some specific stops along the Appalachians.

The first stop was the the Smokies . . . Eastern TN and western NC. Feel free to identify any blank salamanders . . .

Northern Gray-cheeked

Desmognathus . . . .

Next stop was in GA for a few LONG-awaited lifers, of which I got one. Got up at sunrise to score before continuing the LONG drive down.

Special thanks to the herper that made this lifer possible . . . You know who you are.

This was my fist time in a proper cavern . . . Quite an awesome experience. Fun things to see:

Next stop was North Florida, and we hit the ground running. What's the remedy for being stuck in a car for 10 hours a day? Why more road-cruising, of course.

The lineup was pretty typical of what we see when down here, but it’s an area I have a hard time getting sick of.

It always amazes me how different these things look down here. Like our peepers with 10x the saturation.

Young cotton in-situ

Somewhat unattractive FL pine

I'm not one to ignore the birds, either .

Northern parula

Swallowtail

The most common snake out there as usual . . .

Lubbers . . . Always cool

Genetically unclean clarkii

Cooters need love, too. Suanee, that is.

Gotta take a gator pic while in FL. It’s a rule I think.

The somewhat famous scenery at Walkula

Anhinga

Yellow-crowned night heron

The trip wasn't TOO heavy on EDBs, but plenty enough to keep me happy.

Prothonotary warbler

Racerunner who is essentially flipping me off after a failed capture attempt.

Another lifer for me! Though a bit banged-up.
Chicken turtle

FL southern copperhead. I actually found this little guy while in the process of photographing an adult. The in-situ shot is much preferred.

Got me another lame lifer . . . The smallest 3-lined salamander ever created. Gonna have to photo an adult next year.

Saw more of these this year than I'm used to . . . Not complaining, I LOVE grey rats.

Eastern/gulf coast. Or something like that.

Said it before and I'll say it again, I LOVE erythrogaster. This is my first youngin. Strangely didn't see any adults this year - I can usually count on a few.

VERY small feriarum (I tihnk)

Copperheads enjoying each other

Smooth earth

Femoralis

Slender

Big nasty corn

Gulf coast that was being abused by mosquitoes

Another young edb

Brown watersnake

Another ugly clarkii from a different location . . . Obviously unclean as well.

Scarlet

"Gulf hammock" rats were pretty abundant

Which seemed somewhat undistinguishable from the regular greys

Panhandle gopherus

I've taken a stance against bark-ripping . . . And the forest rewards me with AOR scarlet kings.

Sassy corn

These are pretty easy to get bored with, but not finding them is also unacceptable.

Young diamondbacks find their way to me, and big ones remain elusive.

My last sunset at this famous spot.

Well at this point it was time to drive home. Not being one to take no for an answer, we reversed our trip to have another go at missed lifers.

Again, I never set foot in a cave before this trip, but its like a different world in there, though not so easy to take landscape shots in there (with a macro lens). Here are some of the cool formations that make up the cavern walls.

More of these guys

We managed to pick up a missed lifer . . . Not the one I intended but by all accounts way cooler.

And thus ended my time in the southeast. Back to the northeast and all it has to offer.

Like smooth greens

Warblers aplenty

I'm a bit ashamed at myself for not bothering to look for these at night, but finding them early (april) ruins my motivation. I've seen these things almost everywhere they exist in NJ . . . Finding my way to the populations further south is a long-term goal.

I'm a fan of spotted turtles, but they tend to be uncooperative and I tend to be impatient. So be it.

I'm not really big on sunsets, but sunRISES are a different story.

This was a big non-herp find for me. Coywolves are pretty common near me, but posing for photographs is pretty uncommon.

This is a sore subject for me . . . Hard to see one of your favorite animals smashed often and in numbers.

This poor girl was run over on a WILDLIFE VIEWING ROAD in a NWR. The speed limit was 15mph, and there were turtle crossing signs all over. Grrr . . . .

Something you tend to not see too often: basking terrapins

Still not ignoring the birds. Chesnut-sided warbler.

Hyla versicolor

We clearly have the best looking box turtles here in NJ. That's right I said it!

As many of you know I'm not big on posting timbers from the pines. But PA is just fine by me. Up periscope!

Fastest animal alive . . . I snuck close enough to spit on this thing, but never got that closeup.

Food

Food having a tender moment amongst themselves

I equate this to dumping dinner over my head and rolling around in it.

Spent an unusual amount of time in PA this year. Here's a nice chubby gravid female found on a survey. . . My first northern copperhead of the year.

Box turtle on top of a mountain . . . It found the ONLY puddle of course.

This might be the most unique thing in this post . . . A crazy population of northern duskies that show intense lateral blue flecking.

Longtail

I had the pleasure of doing some timber tracking in the mountains of PA . . . Got to see some really excellent behavior.
Like these lovers

And this bored ambush predator

Another northern

Of course as always the majority of time was spent among the pines and its denizens.

Rough greens abound and all that. I usually find a TON of these, but this year only yielded a small handful.

Fowler's toad

#2 for most frequently seen:

Remember I mentioned the difference in peepers between FL and the Northeast? The next few herps were in CT.

Towards the edges of the season mud turtles tend to pop up on the brackish roads.

Baby box in a place I NEVER expected it.

Oh yeah I see these stupid things often . Yay for pines.

Aaaand that's about it. My herping year in a nutshell. Hope you enjoyed.
herper1

Re: My 2012 - herps and whatnot

Post by herper1 »

Wow, great post, great pics, and nice finds ! You really get around !
PNWHerper

Post by PNWHerper »

Bob,

Great post! Beautiful photos of great wildlife. I love the way you mix it up, with herps, birds, mammals and even some scenery shots.

It was sad to see the road killed diamondback terrapin on the road. They are such beautiful animals. That road looks like it might show some nice turtle tracks on it.
Soopaman

Post by Soopaman »

Great stuff! You've got some really nice photographs, though I particularly fancy the one with the yawning horridus!
qaz

Post by qaz »

I envy those northern pines. Cool finds and great pictures.
Bobbleton

Post by Bobbleton »

Hey thanks guys! btw I just noticed that I doubled a terrapin shot and excluded a badass box turtle from the pines. Gotta give him his due:

Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

That box is quite stunning. Good to see you're still doing the thing, Bob.
ahockenberry

Post by ahockenberry »

Stunning selections of images - congrats!
Good work all around - love the EDB and the Terrapin in particular!!
A+
btskanks

Post by btskanks »

Great, cool timber shots and all so so good!-but What a boxie i would kill to find one with that orange-ish ? reddish tint!http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/pos ... =2&t=14597#
cbernz

Post by cbernz »

Killer shots, Bob! Yes, I agree that that little Pseudacris is a feriarum, and I am kicking myself again for not photographing it when I had the chance.

Your Desmog ID's will be location dependant, but the first two look like they belong in the ochrophaeus group, the third one looks like a young fuscus/santeetlah/conanti, and the last two look like monticola. I love that shot of the Plethodon climbing the cave wall - if it's where I think it is, I would call it a serratus.
walk-about

Post by walk-about »

Fantastic post Bob! Dang, you sure rolled some asphalt in 2012! The anhinga shot is classic. Love the big moss draped trees of Walkula. Gray rats are stunners. Your warblers are perfect.

An observation of those Suwannee cooters, their carapaces seem less grooved and almost 'without ridges' compared to our Tennessee River, or Hieroglyphic cooters up here, or at least it would appear so in your photos of them - look almost smooth like a painted turtle? I've never handled a Suwannee in person, so don't know. Excellent photography and field experiences. Thanks for the trip, sir.

RocK ON!

Dave
Robert McManus

Post by Robert McManus »

Some incredible shots here. One thing I love about this site is that you can see that members are into a lot more than just herps; the birds, insects, spiders, and other critters really make the site stand out. I can see how many folks out there just love nature. Thanks for posting so many great photos.
MattSullivan

Post by MattSullivan »

awesome post and great shot! i like the hognose and baby box best
ChadHarrison

Post by ChadHarrison »

Awesome herps and even better shots, man! Love to see all those pines. Very cool stuff.
joconnor

Post by joconnor »

Bob , Off the charts !! :thumb: Glad you had such a great year ! Herps , birds , coy-wolf ..Those basking terrapins were interesting.Not something you see often.
All the best for 2013 Bob
Joe
Ridge Walker

Post by Ridge Walker »

Great finds and spectacular photos Bob. That last boxie is amazing! :thumb:

RW
dery

Post by dery »

I set foot in caves monthly. yet they have either a dead end after afew feet, or they are very extensive, but too tight for humans after such distance at my known entrances. They also have various degrees of vandalism by rednecks. :evil:
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

Quite the stunning post! Beautiful animals and awesome photography.