Fenix flashlights

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Eric East

Fenix flashlights

Post by Eric East »

A few friends of mine have Fenix flashlights and I was very impressed with them, so I just purchased a TK35 and this thing is awesome; I can't wait to take it herping.

http://www.fenixoutfitters.com/fenix-tk ... lumens-301

I'm also thinking about buying one of their headlamps.

http://www.fenixoutfitters.com/fenix-hp ... adlamp-342
kyle loucks

Re: Fenix flashlights

Post by kyle loucks »

The headlamps are great!
Eric East

Post by Eric East »

Kyle I have no doubt they are outstanding. Which one do you have?
VanAR

Post by VanAR »

Funny Eric, I just got the Hp11 headlamp and LD41 flashlight myself. Haven't used them in the field yet but the LD41 is going to be a lot of fun. It produces 520 lumens at its high setting and can run through 4 AA batteries in about 2 hours (or less/slower at the lower settings). It's kind of like having a personal sun in your hand.
El Garia

Post by El Garia »

I think that Fenix's HP 11 is the best bang for the buck, in headlamps. Best all-around headlamp, too (IMO).

Hellihooks has a HP 11. Perhaps Jim could answer any questions you may have on this model
MonarchzMan

Post by MonarchzMan »

I have a TK42. Absolutely love it. The high lumen output is great, especially for looking for arboreal stuff.

As for headlamps, I really like my Zebralight. Small, compact, and extremely powerful.
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

I have the Fenix HP11. I am very happy with it.
Eric East

Post by Eric East »

VanAR wrote:Funny Eric, I just got the Hp11 headlamp and LD41 flashlight myself. Haven't used them in the field yet but the LD41 is going to be a lot of fun. It produces 520 lumens at its high setting and can run through 4 AA batteries in about 2 hours (or less/slower at the lower settings). It's kind of like having a personal sun in your hand.
Let me know how the headlamp works out. How are things down under? Is Glenn still hanging out with you?
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

The HP11 is great... 3 intensity settings, with diffuse and spotlight capabilities (flip up lens) Light in front... battery pack rides on the back of your head...you can go from walking at 'dusk' (diffused lowest setting) up to a 277 lumins at 300 ft spotlight. Takes a little getting used to... to turn your head to look, rather than following the light of a hand-held, with just your eyes... but well worth $50... :thumb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPUmE-tn ... ded#t=165s

:D jim
gbp

Post by gbp »

I have a TK41 and HP11. Both are great, have experienced lots of use and abuse, and still are going strong. However, the strap for my HP11 was very poorly designed. I purchased it almost 2 years ago so I assume Fenix has changed the design by now. The central, over the head strap was only long enough to fit over a babies head. This obvious flaw was so in contrast to Fenix's generally impressive designs. The plastic friction adjuster on the circular side strap also barely gripped so the strap loosens every so often while in use. Both were such obvious design flaws, I have to assume they have been fixed in more recent versions.
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

Thank you, gdp. I have the same issues with my Fenix headstraps. I thought maybe I just had a funny shaped head and people were too kind to tell me. :lol:
I love the hp11's output, so I put up with the strap problems. I wear a big wooden clothespin on the strap to keep it from loosening. It looks really goofy, but I suppose I could tell people the clothespin is an antenna to receive transmissions from the mother ship.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Hmmm... I thought the straps were, if anything, too small... but when I get it on... it fits snuggly and I've never worried bout it coming off. It WILL do funny things to your hair, after extended wear (dlb mohawk.. :lol: )
Go ahead funny guys...I know it's coming... stap-on too small/ when I get it on...ect have at it... :roll: :lol: :lol: jim
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Go ahead funny guys...I know it's coming... stap-on too small/ when I get it on
I like it, I like it. Ha ha. I'll just leave "my, what a big head" etc alone...

So anyway, I've had a few headlamps (each a different mfr) with that annoying top-strap issue - impossible to get it fitting and/or keep it fitting. Starting way back around 1996. Either it's an easy mistake to make, or a strangely difficult thing to do right. My advice nowadays - just like with shoes, don't buy an expensive headlamp without walking around with it on, in the store. (Or trying it out at REI and then buying it cheaper online, ha ha.)

Cheers,
Jimi
Eric East

Post by Eric East »

hellihooks wrote:The HP11 is great... 3 intensity settings, with diffuse and spotlight capabilities (flip up lens) Light in front... battery pack rides on the back of your head...you can go from walking at 'dusk' (diffused lowest setting) up to a 277 lumins at 300 ft spotlight. Takes a little getting used to... to turn your head to look, rather than following the light of a hand-held, with just your eyes... but well worth $50... :thumb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPUmE-tn ... ded#t=165s

:D jim
Thanks for your input!
Eric East

Post by Eric East »

gbp wrote:I have a TK41 and HP11. Both are great, have experienced lots of use and abuse, and still are going strong. However, the strap for my HP11 was very poorly designed. I purchased it almost 2 years ago so I assume Fenix has changed the design by now. The central, over the head strap was only long enough to fit over a babies head. This obvious flaw was so in contrast to Fenix's generally impressive designs. The plastic friction adjuster on the circular side strap also barely gripped so the strap loosens every so often while in use. Both were such obvious design flaws, I have to assume they have been fixed in more recent versions.

That's good to know. Hopefully they've corrected that issue. Actually, I was wondering about the over the head strap. It looks uncomfortable. I currently use a Coleman head lamp and it has not center strap and it's quite comfortable, just not bright enough.
CrimsonCoils

Post by CrimsonCoils »

I'm in amphib mode this year. I have a vernal out back of the house that has been used by Wood Frogs for years. I can't wait to check it out when the critters start croaking. Just purchased the HP 11 Headlamp. Can't wait till it gets here. I hope it's as good as you've all been saying.
MonarchzMan

Post by MonarchzMan »

I originally had a Black Diamond Icon and the over-the-head strap drove me nuts because I could never get it right, and the battery pack would weigh down the rig and move the headlamp up on my head. When I was looking for a new headlamp, I seriously considered getting the H11, but the battery pack and over-the-top strap made me question it.

I ended up looking for really bright, light headlamps not only for herping but camping and such, so I wanted to keep it as minimal as possible, but pack the most punch. And not be ridiculously expensive. It was a bunch of criteria, and after lots of searching, I settled on the H600 Zebralight which boasted 6 different intensity settings with the highest at a whopping 750 lumens. I was nervous getting it because it just had a single strap and only lasts 3 minutes at the 750 lumens setting before automatically dropping to the 420 lumen setting so as not to overheat. And it required a specialized battery, but on reading up on that, the 18650 batteries are better for these type of headlamps, and hold a charge really well (I can go several nights on one charge, easily; and they will hold charge over years). In addition to all of that, it comes with a pocket clip converter if you want to attach it to a pocket or backpack or whatever. Here's a good perspective on how big the unit is (both with human and pink-toed tarantula perspective). That's the whole unit. No battery packs, over-the-head straps, wires, or anything.

I'm really happy with it. I have yet to find a more compact, more powerful headlamp. And it's not that much more than the H11 (H11 is roughly $60, the Zebralight H600 is $90 plus probably $20-30 for a battery and charger). I think my only complaint is that it doesn't have a spot feature (so I can't focus the beam onto one area in particular), but I have the TK41 to use as a spot, and to be frank, at 420 lumens (or a max of 750), I don't really find much need for a spot feature.

Anyway, that's my plug :) Good luck with your decision.
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

All of Fenix's lights are excellent. I've reviewed a couple on my blog:

http://fieldventures.wordpress.com/2011 ... enix-tk45/

This one was for the HP10, but largely applied to the HP11, except the 11 has a much better diffuser:
http://fieldventures.wordpress.com/2011 ... enix-hp10/
VanAR

Post by VanAR »

RE: the headstrap issue on the HP11- the "problem" hasn't been corrected, but technically there isn't anything malfunctioning on the device. The problem is that the headstraps don't work straight out of the box for exactly the reasons gbp describes- the top strap is too short, and the side strap doesn't hold well. However, the way the straps are shipped is not the way they are supposed to be used- you need to work with them a little to get it right.

The problem is that the larger loop of the sidestrap (as shipped), is actually the tensioning loop, while the smaller loop is the actual "strap" loop (if that makes any sense). Also, the top strap ships as a loop with a single tension loop, same as the side strap. You have to take the loops apart so that you end up with a single strap with a loop at each end, each with it's own tensioner.

There are a few websites out there you can find that can walk you through it, if you do a google search:

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showth ... p?t=218217

If you can figure out how to fix it from the above website, it'll work exactly as it should. It took me about 20 minutes to do and it definitely makes a difference.

Van
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

Any of you good folks use the LEDlenser hd14? I used to swear the Fenix H11 is the best around, but I recently went on a tarsier hunt with a borrowed LEDlenser HD14, and it is absolutely outstanding. Large, smooth, even, and FAR-REACHING beam that can also be set to close-up searching. If my car didn't need new tires, this thing would have been here four weeks ago.... Also available with rechargeable batteries that ACTUALLY WORK.

More here.
justinm

Post by justinm »

I've not used a Fenix Headlamp, but I have three of their flashlights! I love the small pocket sized ones. The CREE led is great for night time photography as it doesn't show up in the photos.
gbp

Post by gbp »

Thanks for the tip Van. The 20 minutes of re-working the straps is not a big concern. However, the hours of looking for where the heck I placed the discarded top strap, thats' going to be a bigger issue.
millside

Post by millside »

same problem as other people with the hp11 headstrap. it slips and gets loose. still trying to figure out a better way, the light is great.
FLjeep74

Post by FLjeep74 »

A great site for research and learning more than you could ever want to know about flashlights is CandlePowerForums. Great site with reviews on just about every aspect of flashlights and battery/power options.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forum.php

Enjoy your TK35.

Mike
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

I've been going back and forth on a decision to buy a zebralight H600(maybe H600w for better color rendition although slightly less powerful) or the Fenix HP11. I've read several reports on candlepowerforums and other reviews of each, and they both seem great, but this thread is starting to give more insight from herpers on each light so please everyone who has used them chime in. The Fenix is cheaper than the zebralight by about $30 before batteries, and I would probably buy good rechargable batteries for either lamp with backups so I wouldn't run out of light in one long night, and overall rechargable batteries for either headlamp appear to cost about the same... So correct me if I'm wrong, it would seem they both have about the same waterproof capabilities for what herpers could deal with (rain/humidity), the HP11 uses the top strap and back battery pack design (which I'm used to) whereas the zebralight is a single strap and seems more lightweight, the zebralight has a more powerful highest lumen, although how often would you use turbo on either?, let me know if I'm forgetting some important comparisons. I was deadset on the fenix, but it seems the zebralight is a bit better of an option, not much, but a little bit, but also costs a little more...
MonarchzMan

Post by MonarchzMan »

AndyO'Connor wrote:although how often would you use turbo on either?, let me know if I'm forgetting some important comparisons. I was deadset on the fenix, but it seems the zebralight is a bit better of an option, not much, but a little bit, but also costs a little more...
I generally use the Zebralight's high setting and will bump it up to the turbo setting occasionally. Usually when I need to see a distance or across the water. Like I said, my only complaint is that I can't focus it to a point, but the occasions that I would need that tend to be few and far between. On turbo, it turns night to day, so the need for a focal point isn't huge. I have used mine in rainforest conditions for weeks at a time. Thus far, I really like batteries it uses. I originally had the Black Diamond Icon with a rechargeable battery pack, but that pack drained over time, and it got to the point that I would have to recharge each night. When I first went to Costa Rica (a three week trip with nightly walks), I think I charged the battery on the Zebralight once. I have a spare battery and that seems to be enough for me.

I also like how light it is. With a battery, the thing is only 3.8 ounces. It's pretty stunningly simple in its design. It's essentially an aluminum tube (nice and solidly built) with a CREE LED and reflector at the end.
CrimsonCoils

Post by CrimsonCoils »

I hate to bump a thread back, but I have a question about the HP11 Headlamp. As I posted above I purchased one and tonight I finally had the chance to put it to some use. The weather has been incredibly mild in this area the past several days, and I decided to check out a nearby vernal pool for any amphib life on the crawl. Well, after about an hour and half to two hours the power of the light dimmed a bit. I had it on the "turbo brightness" the whole time. I started hitting the button on the right sight which adjusts the level of power the light is giving. When I pressed the button enough times to return to full power mode, it would actually return to full power, but then dim right back down. Has anyone experienced this, and is it normal? I used the "Tenergy Alkaline" batteries it came with. Maybe I should put a better brand of battery into the headlamp???
VanAR

Post by VanAR »

It sounds like you'd burned through most of the battery power- what you described is what happens. The unit I have didn't come with batteries so I can't comment on those batteries specifically. That said, 2.5 hours on high power probably will drain them, especially if they aren't really high-quality rechargables, or if they weren't fully charged to begin with (often the case with rechargables right out of the package).

Van
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

Van's absolutely right; the fenix lights are worked so that they will stay at the same level (i.e. not steadily dim) until they absolutely cannot anymore, and when that happens they tick down to the next dimmest setting. My suggestion would be to use it on the "High" setting and save Turbo for when you need a little extra water penetration/etc - I use the turbo mode a lot in Florida, but that's because we have a lot of herps that sleep in trees, that's not so much a problem for you this time of year.
desertdwellr

Post by desertdwellr »

I have the HP11 and have nothing but good things to say about it, even bought one for a buddy of mine. I run mine on eneloop rechargables, read that they were the best, again no complaints. I prefer designs with the vertical headstrap, waaaaaaaaaay more stable. Had others with the single strap and when crawling through the underbrush its all over the place.
Also have their TK 35 for a handheld and love it...........860 lumens.
My $.02, hope it helps.
CrimsonCoils

Post by CrimsonCoils »

Thanks guys. I have no complaints, the HP was awesome. The middle strap fit great, and it was very secure. I just thought an hour and a half was a bit short for brand new batteries. Still very satisfied with the purchase!!!
josh_r

Post by josh_r »

Hans, LEDlenser lights are amazing! Best lights I've seen. Super smooth adjustment, accurate, and BRIGHT!