What to do when it's 5 degress out?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

ZantiMissKnit

What to do when it's 5 degress out?

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

RESEARCH.

Yesterday, I was researching a place we are meaning to go to this year. I took a look at the satellite view and zoomed right in on a debris pile.

So sweet I screencapped it.

Mike and I looked at it closely on Google Earth and there is a tarp there, and what may be a bunch of old appliances. I wonder if it is still there, and if it will be by the time we go there.

That's what I do when the temps are in the single digits and I don't want to depress myself with thoughts of winter.
sstaedtler

Re: What to do when it's 5 degress out?

Post by sstaedtler »

I found myself last night planning an imaginary trip to Outer Banks, NC. I wondered what herps were there because my wife said she wanted to go there in the next couple years....so I spent half the night researching parks and possible places to go, even though I'm not going for at least a year and a half, minimum. My wife also said she wants a Colorado trip, so I was checking out herps in CO as well - though if I have a vote, definitely voting NC for herps sake!
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

I think there was a great post around here in the fall about herping the Outer Banks. I never have, but I have herped the Croatan National Forest (and plan on doing it TWICE in 2013, since we are going in April!), and would definitely vote for NC.

Although Colorado is lovely, and adding some Western herps would be nice.
sstaedtler

Post by sstaedtler »

I checked out Colorado...it was so/so for snakes, so/so for lizards, poor for turtles, poor for frogs, and only 1 salamander, though it is a Tiger Salamander. After seeing that, I will be lobbying hard for NC to wife when the time comes. Have to travel more in CO to even get to the herp places, where NC would have a lot within close range no matter where I was.
kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

Excellent work Andrea
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

kyle loucks wrote:Excellent work Andrea
You don't even want to know what I am doing today. I need to shut down the internet and get back to my paid job.
cbernz

Post by cbernz »

sstaedtler wrote:I checked out Colorado...it was so/so for snakes, so/so for lizards, poor for turtles, poor for frogs, and only 1 salamander, though it is a Tiger Salamander. After seeing that, I will be lobbying hard for NC to wife when the time comes. Have to travel more in CO to even get to the herp places, where NC would have a lot within close range no matter where I was.
Convince your wife to push the trip one state further west or south, and your herp options go up considerably.
mike h

Post by mike h »

It's possible that this is why I married you! ;)

Nah... just one of the many reasons!
kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

ZantiMissKnit wrote:
You don't even want to know what I am doing today. I need to shut down the internet and get back to my paid job.

Course I want to know... you can whisper it.
sstaedtler

Post by sstaedtler »

cbernz wrote:
sstaedtler wrote:I checked out Colorado...it was so/so for snakes, so/so for lizards, poor for turtles, poor for frogs, and only 1 salamander, though it is a Tiger Salamander. After seeing that, I will be lobbying hard for NC to wife when the time comes. Have to travel more in CO to even get to the herp places, where NC would have a lot within close range no matter where I was.
Convince your wife to push the trip one state further west or south, and your herp options go up considerably.
I definitely agree, but wife was born in CO, so I may be out of luck. Wants to go to Colorado Springs, not great herping place.
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

kyle loucks wrote:
ZantiMissKnit wrote:

Course I want to know... you can whisper it.
I was researching a particular spot we have had mixed results in, but keep going because it's got box turtles and eastern hognose, extensively.
herper1

Post by herper1 »

During the winter I spend a lot of time planning trips, near and far. Researching ares, looking a sat. images. Basically doing my homework. Makes me cant wait for spring even more !
kirbyl4

Post by kirbyl4 »

My brother (inchuhead) and I went to the outer banks and had a amazing herp trip. Found a couple of king snakes, a few hognoses, alot of cottonmouths, some water snakes, anoles, a bunch of diff kinds of tree frogs, frogs, turtles. it was amazing I would highly recommend going.
keep looking for spots like that thought but make sure they are not on private property. you never know how someone will move forward if you are trespassing on their land.
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

kirbyl4, now I remember that it was you and incuhead who had the thread about herping the Outer Banks. That was pretty cool, and an incentive for me to go visit my mother-in-law in Eastern NC!