Info- Cimarron area during the last week of March

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

corey.raimond

Info- Cimarron area during the last week of March

Post by corey.raimond »

Hi all,

I was thinking about going to Cimarron area during the last week of March but was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of chances I would have for finding herps (I especially want to see a horned lizard), plants flowering, prairie dogs etc during that time. I would do later but I confined by when our school districts spring break is. The March weather seems very erratic in the area.

Are there any restrictions against herping (flipping rocks, touching animals) in Kansas or Colorado? Do I need to purchase a fishing/hunting liscence? Any other information is appreciated as well.

Thanks

-Corey

herpseeker1978

Re: Info- Cimarron area during the last week of March

Post by herpseeker1978 »

Cimarron, NM? I'm not clear if that's what you mean. If so, it is pretty interesting weather that time of year. I wouldn't count on any herps, but it is a beautiful area! I know the ski areas in that area are usually open through spring break, so I'm pretty certain herps would be tough to come by, not impossible, but tough.

Josh

corey.raimond

Post by corey.raimond »

Hi,

I was referring to the Cimarron river. Particularly Cimarron National grassland in Kansas and the adjacent Comanche National Grassland in Colorado.

In reading books it says that some of the herps don't come out until May. It seems really hard for me to believe especially when I see a decent number of snakes in Wisconsin in late April (~ 43 degrees N lat) and when I looked at the weather for SW Kansas (~37 degrees N lat) last March most of the days had highs in the 80s.

Thanks

-Corey

TimCO

Post by TimCO »

Corey,
The Cimmarron river area is a very interesting and not often herped area. Depending on the type of spring we have, you may just catch things at first emergence, or get completely skunked. March is historically the snowiest month in Colorado, and the SE corner has been buried under feet of snow in March a couple of times in the last 5 years.

Google "Colorado herp laws" for the PDF-

corey.raimond

Post by corey.raimond »

Thanks for the info Tim. That is pretty much what I was thinking, I will have to wait and see about the weather before I decide.

Thanks,

-Corey