SD Amphib Cruising 1/25

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

jamezevanz

SD Amphib Cruising 1/25

Post by jamezevanz »

Hi all,

Last weekend’s rains brought the amphibs out. Here’s finds from a night of driving in SD county. I would have liked to voucher more for the database but traffic was surprisingly heavy and border patrol was being very nosy.

California Toads - Some stretches were toad slaloms, I had to work not to hit any.

Monterey Ensatina – Managed to get this one, saw a few other “licorice sticks” in the road that I couldn’t safely stop for.

Arboreal Salamander – Just when I’d given up hope of finding one in SD county.

Finally, my photo targets for the night: Western Spadefoots. There were lots out and as with the other species it was just a matter of finding individuals that I could safely pull over for and avoiding hitting the rest.

Does anyone know the significance of the color variation between these two individuals? They are both from the same area. Sexual dimorphism? The green one had a vocal sac and called when I picked it up, so I assume it was male.

Also, I’m posting this in both the California chapter and the main forum. Is that redundant or the preferred way to do things? My previous posts I kept in the main forum because they included animals from other states.

Wish it would rain again, I’ve been hiking, flipping and road cruising the last couple of days with nothing to show for it but Utas and Fence Lizards.

--Jamez
monklet

Re: SD Amphib Cruising 1/25

Post by monklet »

Phenomenal Spadefoot expose! :thumb:
michael68

Post by michael68 »

Nice finds, I love the ensatina and spadefoots. That 4th picture of a spadefoot is awesome! Very pretty eyes...
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Great Job James. I have been seeing your entries too... Really nice..

There is only a handful of eschscholtzii in the database from SD county as well. :thumb:

Fundad
Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

Awesome job.. looks like the only one you missed was the Arroyo Toad. :thumb: I'm sure you just wanted to save something for the next rain drive.
jamezevanz

Post by jamezevanz »

Thanks all. Hopefully we get some more rain soon. If I could have stopped for more of the toads I saw, maybe an Arroyo or two would have been among them. I'm not sure if they're in that area but from what little I know about their habitat needs, it seems possible.
Phillodactylus

Post by Phillodactylus »

Those Spades are AWESOME! Excellent photos, and sounds like you had a great trip! I've become quite interested in Spea and Scaphiopus as years have gone by, and maybe since you have experience looking for them I could get your opinion and others' as well. I know Spadefoot activity is directly affected by rains, but my question is this. Do they still appear in the day or two after a decent rain, or did that day need to be rainy? Aside from tads, of course.

My observations, limited as they are, would indicate yes.

PS I went flipping in San Bernardino County yesterday, and found Utas and a Skink. That's as good as the flipping was for me. haha.

best,
-Phil