Ridley Sea Turtles ...

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Jeffreyrichard

Ridley Sea Turtles ...

Post by Jeffreyrichard »

Warning ... NO pictures :o

Some of you know I am involved with a Red Bellied Cooter Headstart Program through the MASS Wildlife ... my wife and I raise hatchlings over the winter (the past 8 years) and the turtles are released the following spring.

Anyway, one of the turtles in this year's batch (of 12) became sick ... stopped eating. I have since given it (instructed by the sponsor) to The National Marine Life Institute in Bourne, MA where they are testing and (hopefully) rehabing this sick guy. Now, as I stated, my wife and I have been doing this for 8 years, and we've probably head started over 50 hatchlings ... only 2 fatalities and 2 sick turtles out of this number (which is not too bad ...)

ANYWAY ... when I brought the sick guy to the Institute last week, I got a chance to see Eight Ridley Sea Turtles that are being rehabbed at the center ... they were stranded on Cape Cod beaches in Nov/Dec (there were quite a few strandings this year) and severely stress due to the cold. Vey very cool (sic.) turtles.

Here is a link ... http://nmlc.org/2012/12/meet-the-turtles/

I wasn't expecting to see them so I didn't bring my camera ... bummer
ZantiMissKnit

Re: Ridley Sea Turtles ...

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

Awesome! I just shared that on Facebook -- thank you!

My husband did the red bellied hatchling head start years ago, before I met him. I still have never seen one.
Jeffreyrichard

Post by Jeffreyrichard »

ZantiMissKnit wrote:Awesome! I just shared that on Facebook -- thank you!

My husband did the red bellied hatchling head start years ago, before I met him. I still have never seen one.
Hatchlings

At release ... 10 months old

tomharten

Post by tomharten »

In Calvert County Maryland we are participating in a head start program for diamondback terrapins with our third grade students. The turtles are part of a larger study to assess the effectiveness of head starting this species. The turtles will be PIT tagged before release and then researchers on a Chesapeake Bay island will be attempting recaptures over the next several years to look at survival rates and to see if these turtles are actually returning to their natal beaches to nest.

For our program, the students complete a unit of study on the natural history of terrapins and their conservation.

I put together a little website that classes follow along on the terrapin's journey.

emendousterrapintour.weebly.com

On another note, a Kemp's Ridley was rescued this winter way up the Hudson River near Piermont NY. Probably another cold stunned individual.

Tom Harten