Budding Field Herper

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

devilfish79

Budding Field Herper

Post by devilfish79 » August 10th, 2010, 7:26 pm

At 31, I'm still interested in field science and study. So here I am going to give it my first shot. However, I don't want to just be another looky-loo. I do want to admire the wildlife but I'd also like to have a little purpose from time to time. What data is important to collect? Size, age, weight, color, sex, location? I'm planning on getting my son involved with me so it'll give him something to do as well.

Thanks to everyone who responds. I greatly appreciate it!

Cheers,
Erik

Natalie McNear

Re: Budding Field Herper

Post by Natalie McNear » August 10th, 2010, 7:34 pm

Are you collecting data for NAHERP? If so, as much information as you want to collect. Photo vouchers should be included with every record, so just make sure you at least get one quick shot of the herp if you plan on entering it - also a good thing to do if you keep track of your records on Google Earth. I personally regard the climate information as especially important when trying to figure out activity patterns, so whenever I enter herps on NAHERP I try to include as much as that info as possible, including pressure and humidity. If you don't remember the exact numbers, sites like Weather Underground maintain detailed historical weather databases so you can go back to whatever date the record is from and check the weather.

spinifer

Post by spinifer » August 10th, 2010, 7:41 pm

The most basic data to collect to make your record valuable to others is a photograph with date and locality.

Take a look at the new record format the NAHERP Database to get some ideas on what other data you could collect.

devilfish79

Post by devilfish79 » August 10th, 2010, 8:12 pm

Awesome. I'll take a look at the format. Thank you to both of you.

@Natalie - I have yet to actually go out into the field and I'm hoping to join a few experienced herpers when I do finally make it out there. This way it's as safe as it can be for my son since I know nothing of the reptile world outside of keeping them as pets.

Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) » August 11th, 2010, 4:31 am

At 31, I'm still interested in field science and study
Premature onset of a severe midlife crisis? :lol:

chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin » August 11th, 2010, 9:01 am

devilfish79 wrote:What data is important to collect? Size, age, weight, color, sex, location?
Are we talking about herps, or herpers? Some shady characters on here may be interested in both. :lol:

devilfish79

Post by devilfish79 » August 11th, 2010, 5:19 pm

Hans Breuer (twoton) wrote:
At 31, I'm still interested in field science and study
Premature onset of a severe midlife crisis? :lol:
Haha, possibly. But I thought I bought the motorcycle to quench that....hmmm. By the way, awesome article in HerpNation. Makes me want to head off to Taiwan.
chris_mcmartin wrote:Are we talking about herps, or herpers? Some shady characters on here may be interested in both. :lol:
With me, always herps. ;) Maybe you're one of those shady characters? I hope not. Really, I'm interested in learning all that I can while I still can. I'm gonna check the database and see what it is that people are submitting and that should give me a start.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Cheers,
Erik