Northeast vs. California Chapter Contest

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

brick911

Northeast vs. California Chapter Contest

Post by brick911 »

Hey guys,
This is supposed to be a somewhat simple, fun contest that Brian (fundad) and I have devised. No participation is required of you, if you don't want anything to do with it. That said, the winning President gets to donate the money from the losing President and other members that put up money to his favorite charity.

Both Brian and I have put up $25. Additionally, Kyle and Steve have added to the pot, as well as two of Brian's chapter officers. So we each have $75 riding on this.

The rules are simple: We are taking a members only scorecard that tallies any vouchered historical and current entries during the year 2013. This scorecard counts all entries over the entire US. See it here, for reference:

Northeast Scorecard for this Challenge
http://www.naherp.com/reports/national- ... &year=2013
California Scorecard for this Challenge
http://www.naherp.com/reports/national- ... &year=2013
Ok, so here's how the scoring works. Very simple.

1. At the end of the year, we cut off anyone below 50 records.
2. Anyone from the 2012 scorecard who was below 50 or not existent automatically has his/her entries doubled.
3. After that is done, add up all entries, divide by number of contributors, and come up with average entry per contributing member.
4. Higher number wins!

*These contests are for fun and comradery only and are meant to encourage REAL Data Records. Please do not falsify data. (If we lose, we donate a few bucks to charity - big deal.) :)

Some Odds and In's Bob (me) and Hubbs are members of both chapters. Hubbs will be in the Cali Chapter and Bob, the NE chapter.

Pretty simple, fun, and if we win, we get other people's money for a conservation charity over here. If we lose, we donate to Brian's charity. Sound good?
Brian Hubbs

Re: Northeast vs. California Chapter Contest

Post by Brian Hubbs »

I will kick all your arses...bwahahahaha So, let's get ready to rumble... :lol: 8-)

1.5 Komodo Dragons
2.6 Dodo Birds
3.4 Passenger Pigeons
2.3 Siberian Tigers
350 Mad Magazines
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

Get ready to see who can inflate their totals more with redbacks or utas.

This should be based on an non-inflatable category like personal county records....
brick911

Post by brick911 »

Thanks for your positive input. It's a friendly charity based contest that deals with the whole chapter. Unless I go begging all the members to inflate their totals with 1000 redbacks, its not going to matter. Anything else you'd like to take the fun out of?
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

I wouldn't mind the 1000 redbacks as long as they were from 1000 different locations...
DCooper

Post by DCooper »

Entering 1000 redbacks!?
Image lol
The Jake-Man

Post by The Jake-Man »

Oh please! I have no car, no job, and a back yard full of red backs. I could have 1000 cinereus in half that time!
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

Well get on it, Hubbs has already started the uta padding.... :lol: :crazyeyes:
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

I'm not Hubbs, I'm Turd Ferguson...
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

Have I got this correct? I can voucher any herps from anywhere in the U.S., not just in states within the NE Chapter? And, historical entries are okay (i.e., visits to Florida in 2003, etc.)?

I just want to make sure I fully comprehend the rules.
brick911

Post by brick911 »

That is correct. The bottom line is we want to populate the data base. As long as you think you can be precise with your details from 2003, put it in! ...If you go to Cali in June... put it in! It all counts.
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

It'll probably all be East Coast stuff...in true LECH fashion.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Can you guys help me Id some East Coast stuff I found on my 09 X-country trip... :crazyeyes: :lol: :lol: :lol: jim
MCHerper

Post by MCHerper »

Brian Hubbs wrote:I will kick all your arses...bwahahahaha So, let's get ready to rumble... :lol: 8-)

1.5 Komodo Dragons
2.6 Dodo Birds
3.4 Passenger Pigeons
2.3 Siberian Tigers
350 Mad Magazines

Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: We've already doubled your totals...Oh my...and the year has just started...this is going to be ugly... :roll:
brick911

Post by brick911 »

I'm surprised that's all you have done so far. Our year hasn't even started yet. I would have expected Cali to have 10x what we have at this point.
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

Hm. . .on second thought, I probably should have used a photo of a cinereus for this blingee.
MCHerper

Post by MCHerper »

Brian Hubbs wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: We've already doubled your totals...Oh my...and the year has just started...this is going to be ugly... :roll:
That's pretty awesome considering it's been, you know, January and February. :P
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Well, I really haven't started yet...I'm stuck in AZ...just give me a few weeks and then we can talk... :lol:
Owen

Post by Owen »

I'm sandbaggin' so far; only entered half :lol:

Just trying to motivate :mrgreen:

OK Zanti... here it is, California Style:

axeman2729

Post by axeman2729 »

you know what im gonna have atleast a hundred garters snappers and twolines oh and fuscus
kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

Shouldn't this just be critters found this year?
obeyJSM

Post by obeyJSM »

You had me up till the database entries. I really have no time for that. With me trying my hardest, Hubbity Hubbs and those Californians wouldn't stand the slightest chance.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

We don't need Hubbs to beat you guys... :D In fact... I think the contest should be limited to members who actually reside in the chapters.
Hubbs could probably take on a chapter all by himself... :shock: :lol: :lol: jim
brick911

Post by brick911 »

Well, Hubbs and I both belong to each chapter, so we split up. Even though he is definitely untouchable, I think my chapter is up to the challenge and will make up ground on the one-handed herpers and people too scared to enter data out there. :lol: :D :beer:
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

You let me know which hand you want me to tie behind my back. and lets get it on... :lol: :lol: :lol:
My point is still the contest should be for the members who actually live in the chapters... and THEY can collect data from wherever they choose.
Hubb's probably WILL have more data than anyone, and is an officer in AZ. If he's also a member of Ca AND NE... he could decide the outcome of this, by which chapter gets his data... :shock: Screw that... I don't want this decided by anyone but us... :twisted:
Besides...Hubbs can be bought by the highest bidder and/or is easily provoked to petulance, by stuff like... well... what I just said... :crazyeyes: :lol: :lol: :lol: jim
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

Man we're getting whooped. :x Brick are you slacking on data entry already? Also please link this thread with our other scorecards. :)
brick911

Post by brick911 »

Yeah... we need our season to start already! And yes, I am behind on data already. I'll get this linked.
sstaedtler

Post by sstaedtler »

The lack of warm weather or road cruising nights in the Northeast right now is killing us. Last year we were already finding stuff at this time.
JAMAUGHN

Post by JAMAUGHN »

I'm heading to a conference in Boston for a couple of days, where I hope to get out of the city long enough to find my very own P. cinereus. (And lest anyone think this is more CA snark, I'll be genuinely thrilled if I see one. A lifer's a lifer, and they're nice little salamanders. Besides, the odds of seeing anything else are against me, I think. I've only got about two hours free.)

JImM,
secret LECH enthusiast

**Edit**
I Found one! Hurray for me, and don't ever drive a pint-sized Fiat in downtown Boston through a foot of snow...
Eastern Red-backed Salamander, Plethodon cinereus by J. Maughn, on Flickr
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

JAMAUGHN wrote:I'm heading to a conference in Boston for a couple of days, where I hope to get out of the city long enough to find my very own P. cinereus. (And lest anyone think this is more CA snark, I'll be genuinely thrilled if I see one. A lifer's a lifer, and they're nice little salamanders. Besides, the odds of seeing anything else are against me, I think. I've only got about two hours free.)

JImM,
secret LECH enthusiast
Neither conference center is near any real herp-able places, but if you are at Hynes you will at least be next to my office, for whatever that's worth.

We also may be getting more snow this week.
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

Yup, we are probably getting a little more snow! Just when you thought it was safe...
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

This should be a sticky so we can find it and see how much we're kicking your sorry arses... :lol: Must be a drag to live where you can't herp all year-round... :(
sstaedtler

Post by sstaedtler »

The problem I see is that CA has such an extensively longer herping year. But let's say hypothetically the NE took the lead. Come late November and December, CA would know exactly what they needed to win, and we here in the NE would have basically nothing or little left to herp. So they could always get enough to put CA over the top. We are getting smoked.
kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

There really is no comparison...but if it encourages data entry then keep on truckin.
brick911

Post by brick911 »

Yeah, I'm not worried about winning. It's just fun. And it IS average per contributor, so that helps level the playing field.
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

I'm just trying to stir the pot and get youse guys all riled up...it's starting to look like I might have to carry the CA average... :roll: ...oh the weight of enthusiasm... :lol: But, if you people are smart you'll wait until Dec.28th to start entering all those redbacks and garters...the old sucker punch at the end of the year... :lol: 8-) I've made 3 trips to CA this year to work, and got 823 records so far (8 still not entered). I have no idea what the problem is with the guys who live there year-round...maybe they don't know what a lizard is...or a DOR...or a (gasp) turtle... :o
Jared Cain

Post by Jared Cain »

Brian Hubbs wrote:But, if you people are smart you'll wait until Dec.28th to start entering all those redbacks and garters...
Gonna have to give me more time then that to enter all mine :lol: Maybe I can convince someone to enter 3000 of them for me :crazyeyes: Anyone take paypal? 8-)
Andy Wolf

Post by Andy Wolf »

Darnit. I feel like I've actually seen enough redbacks to make up the difference but I just haven't taken pictures.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

To make it fair Hubbs... you should give your entries to the NE (neither NE or Ca is your home chapter. so... :crazyeyes: ) My records are too sensitive to enter, in season. :shock: (Book/Smook) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Take Hubbs... We'll STILL whoop your butts... :crazyeyes: :lol: :lol: :lol: jim
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Jared Cain wrote:
Brian Hubbs wrote:But, if you people are smart you'll wait until Dec.28th to start entering all those redbacks and garters...
Gonna have to give me more time then that to enter all mine :lol: Maybe I can convince someone to enter 3000 of them for me :crazyeyes: Anyone take paypal? 8-)
I do... :crazyeyes: :lol: :lol: What's even funnier is me grading philosophy papers, in ethics... for $ :crazyeyes: :lol: :lol: jim
brick911

Post by brick911 »

The thinking on Hubbs was that since both he and I were members of the NE and CA chapter, I would obviously stay in the NE while you guys got Hubbs. I'm very well aware of how his amount of records will sky rocket the CA average. I know we are the underdog.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

No offense to Hubbs... I've said he could probably take on some other chapter, all by himself...(and maybe should, to light a fire under some 'under-achieving' chapter... :shock: ) but I still think the contest should consist only of the NE's and Ca 'home' chapter members... :roll:
Hubbs is a 'ringer'... and I don't want our victory 'tarnished'. It's counter-productive as well... some Ca members may not bother entering records, as unnecessary, with Hubbs on our team... :roll: jim
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Excuse me Mr. helli-kooks, but I was born in CA and spend more time there than in AZ where I happen to live, so I am actually more of a Californian than anything else. Just ask Motel 6... :roll: I'm sorry if I am the most fired-up data contributor on the planet right now (along with Fundad, Owen and Spinnifer), but I think it's an affliction that needs to spread... :lol: I think the real problem with massive data entry like I do is that not many people are really excited about entering everything they see. They don't know the tricks to entering multiple sightings of the same species quickly, they don't understand how to enter the gps from the wrench tool, they don't know how to re-size their photos for faster loading, they don't know how to plan a herp trip to maximize entries (or don't care), or they just aren't sold on the database concept. These are all valid reasons for why some people do not enter hundreds of sightings. I have no idea how to solve that problem, so I just compete and give advice to those who want it (and attack helli-kooks because it's fun and he's an easy target). :roll:
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

yeah... but you're an AZ International Board Member...AZ IS your official home chapter.
You might also be considered an unfair advantage, which should be taken as a compliment. :crazyeyes:
seriously... challenge the NW, or some other chapter. What Chapter would want to live with getting beat by one guy? IBM's are supposed to be assisting 'at risk' chapters and devising means to re-invigorate these flagging chapters. This could actually do the trick... :thumb: jim
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Nah... :twisted:
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Brian Hubbs wrote:Nah... :twisted:
But...just think... you could get a whole group of people to dislike you, rather than having to do that on an individual basis... :crazyeyes: :lol: :lol: :lol: jim
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

I enjoy the challenge of pissing off the world one person at a time...
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Brian Hubbs wrote:I enjoy the challenge of pissing off the world one person at a time...
I have faith in you Brian... if anyone can do it...you can... :lol: :lol: :lol: jim
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

well, I have to keep ahead of YOU... :lol: although, it's tough to beat a person who has 5800+ posts...I see you have no life... :roll: