Southern California in June (planning)

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Zach_Lim

Southern California in June (planning)

Post by Zach_Lim »

My band and I are currently planning on a final, farewell tour and final record release early June of this year and will be focusing on Southern CA and Arizona (PHX). I am currently trying to figure out dates and times and was hoping for some insight on potential herping.
We plan to play Los Angeles, Long Beach (maybe), and San Diego. Shows are generally at night.
Is it too late in the season (too hot) for herping during the day? Is road-cruising the way to do it?
Just wanted a little feedback before I finalize dates- I'm trying to organize things so I can herp like crazy. First tour down there (3 years ago, maybe?) we drove through such awesome habitat- "The Grapevine", Angeles National Forest, and cool mountain ranges.
Here is song from our second 7" record. If you don't like noisy music, don't listen haha:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7Xhn0bYGRM

BTW: New record will have a song called "Aestivate"....lol
Fundad

Re: Southern California in June (planning)

Post by Fundad »

June is mainly road cruising in So Cal for snakes. (a handful of species can be found flipping of cool enough).

Lizards will be out and about during the day.

Fundad
liucommajames

Post by liucommajames »

zach, hit me up with dates, i might be around and can show you some spots. I'll be in nicaragua the first half of the month, but i'd be down to shoot the shit for a few days. gonna have to walk or drive your Z though...it's doable.
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

Hey Zach,

Glad to hear that you are finally making a trip to SoCal. As Brian already pointed out June is better for road cruising than flipping. But June can be really good for walking near water, e.g., mountain streams, ponds. That's how we found our z in the San Gabriels last June.

Generally June is fairly cool in coastal areas because of the marine layer. But farther inland it's a different story. Not too much different from the Bay Area, really, just more work and less snakes :lol:

Anyway, let us know when you are here and we'd be happy to meet up with you and/or give you ideas of where to go.

Take care,

Robert
SurfinHerp

Post by SurfinHerp »

I'd be glad to show you around, or at least provide some tips, when you're in SD Zach.

One thing I'd recommend if you're staying near the coast is to get out to good habitat a little while before the marine layer burns off in the morning. There's often a short window of activity right as the marine layer starts to dissipate - maybe 30 minutes or so.

I can show you a coast horned lizard hotspot if you're interested. Should be OK in June still.

Good luck with your tour and herping!

Jeff
craigb

Post by craigb »

hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Zack,
If driving, you might (can) consider, either on the way down or back up, a detour through the Victor Valley (5- 58- 15) day or night... I'd be able to show you around, for desert herps... :thumb: jim
billboard

Post by billboard »

PM me a week before you get to SD

I will help you see some stuff.
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

Thank you all for the suggestions and kind offers to show me around.

Plans are up in the air for extending this tour (fingers crossed) as a band from Washington will be accompanying us. If you like 1980s Boston Hardcore Punk, check out White Wards. :)

Tentatively, here are the dates:

June 19th- San Jose, CA
-drive to LA after the show, crash in LA- fingers crossed for road cruised snakes haha
June 20th- drive to Phoenix, AZ during day and play show at night
June 21st- get to LA in the morning, time to kill (aka herp) until show at night
June 22nd- San Francisco (final show)

Hopefully I can organize a San Diego date.
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

Here is an update of our tour:

Wednesday, June 19- Yadokai, White Wards, Permanent Ruin, Negative Standards, and Necrot- Finca Mission, San Jose, CA

Thursday, June 20- Yadokai, White Wards, Man Bites Dog, Delirium, + TBA- Phoenix, AZ

Friday, June 21- Yadokai, White Wards, Condominium, Stoic Violence, + TBA- 1725 E 7th St Los Angeles, CA

Saturday, June 22- Yadokai, White Wards, Condominium, Provos- El Rio, San Francisco, CA

Yadokai will be on tour with our Pacific Northwest allies White Wards this June in support of our 3rd 7" and our end as a band.

So it seems that the plan is to drive after the San Jose show straight down to Los Angeles to crash, then leave in the morning for Phoenix. Do you guys think there is any chance of seeing anything during the drive down?

I would imagine that it will be too hot in the day to see anything on the road and/or flip from LA to PHX...maybe lizards?

After our Los Angeles show, I may be able to sneak away from the partying for a bit to road cruise or night walk. Anyone familiar with that area? Any decent urban areas to herp (PM me)?

Thanks guys,

Zach
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Zach_Lim wrote:
So it seems that the plan is to drive after the San Jose show straight down to Los Angeles to crash, then leave in the morning for Phoenix. Do you guys think there is any chance of seeing anything during the drive down?
Zach
That's like a 6-7 hr drive... so... drive all night? Depending on when you get there... you could take the 138 E (at Gorman) over to the 14 south... lot better chance of seeing (and being able to stop) on those roads than going down the Grapevine.
Where the 14 goes down the pass (south of Palmdale) you (I believe) could take Soledad Can rd down the pass, and (I would think) have a much better chance of seeing some AOR's... instead of DOR's on the freeway... :thumb: good luck... jim
RobertH

Post by RobertH »

Zach, I have a spot near Palm Springs, right off the 10 freeway (the one you take to drive from LA to Phoenix), that has Desert Iguanas and Coachella Valley Fringe-Toad Lizards. If you hit that spot between 8:30 am and 10:30 am, you WILL see both lizards. The hard part is getting voucher shots :lol: Let me know if you are interested!

In terms of herping urban LA - and you are right in the middle of downtown - at night, the only place I can think of is Griffith Park (near the LA Zoo), about a 20 minute drive north from downtown. You could walk the trails there at night, which might well produce a C. o. helleri or SD gophersnake. It's not the safest area at night, though, and I am not sure I want to recommend it to you.

I also have one other idea for you that has to do with Eastern Collards in AZ. Contact me offline for that one, OK?

Robert
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

Thank you, Jim and Robert for the tips.

I will PM you guys once the time comes :)
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

Just for fun, here the fliers for a few of the shows.

Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

I really hate the first flier :/
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Zach_Lim wrote:I really hate the first flier :/
Yeah... i think urine for some eclectic comments... :lol: :lol: :lol: jim
Owen

Post by Owen »

Zach_Lim wrote:I really hate the first flier :/
I suppose if you were playing with The Urinals, it would be OK, but no morons? :?
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

Playing tonight in San Jose, then driving straight to LA.

Fingers crossed for some cruising!