Question about herping Big Bend NP

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

The Real Snake Man

Question about herping Big Bend NP

Post by The Real Snake Man »

I'm going to Big Bend National Park this summer, and I'll be there on the night of June 1 and all day and night on the 2nd and 3rd. I was wondering if I can expect to find some reptiles while I'm there (I would be targeting snakes, but I'm happy to see anything), and if so, how could I do a little photography and make sure I don't break any of the park rules? Also, any tips on where to go in the park and at what time would be great. My target species would be, conservatively, a Trans-Pecos Ratsnake, a Trans-Pecos Copperhead, a Black-tailed Rattlesnake, and/or anything else. Please pm me and thank you for your help.

-Gene
chris_mcmartin

Re: Question about herping Big Bend NP

Post by chris_mcmartin »

The best advice, practically speaking, is to not herp in the park. Each evening, leave the park and cruise the highways outside the boundary.
tanks

Post by tanks »

Numerous areas in the park are great herping, it has to have moisture. Look for anywhere that has greened up. The more rugged the terrain the better. Now with all that said, i have herped the park several times with no issues, but and i mean but. You cannot pick anything up or harrass the animals to get photo's, they will try to tell you no artificial light but thats bull shit you have to have a flash, obviously you have head lights and anytime you stop and get out you must have a flashlight. I check in tell them where im going and what im doing, they try to scare you with a bunch of fake rules that i ignore because im not breaking any laws and not handling the animals in anyway. If a snake gets a cross the road before i get a pic then so be it, if it lays in the road and i get my camera out i get a pic. Once im done taking pics i do not even move the snake off the road, i drive around it and go on my way. If you do these things you wont have any problems but if you pic an animal up, you will probably spend the night in the jail with a fine.

If you want to keep animals go outside the park to 118, or 170, make sure you have a license, a herp stamp and a proper vest.
The Real Snake Man

So, in the park, hands-off and we'll be okay? That's all right with me, I like a good in situ shot.
chad ks

Post by chad ks »

I would listen to Tanks, and Chris' advice is stellar if you want to avoid being confronted by the park police. However, my experience is that you're more likely to be harassed outside of the park than inside…and if you aren't collecting, then it makes no difference.

The only thing I'd do differently from Mr. Tank is that I would be willing to encourage a snake off of the road for its own safety, regardless of the regulative expectation to the contrary. Be sure that you have NO collecting gear, not even a hook.
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

That's the problem...I ALWAYS have a hook, tongs, and containers in the car when I'm in Big Bend, because I'm also NOT in Big Bend at other times on my trips where that stuff is permissible.

While herping the ROW (if not the actual roadway) is once again legal in TX, the BBNP regs specifically state you can't use a light to look for wildlife. Regardless of whether you think that law is just, Constitutional, etc., unless you have the time and money to raise the issue BEFORE you "get caught," you are asking for trouble if you choose to press the issue.

That's why I say, "practically speaking," you're better off herping outside the park (assuming you're looking to do any road cruising).
The Real Snake Man

Interesting. The regulations are annoying, but you're right in that it's better to play it safe. I'll have to think about all that; I certainly would not want to be fined by rangers.
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

What everyone else said, plus - the moon cycle is important. I don't know what phase the moon will be while you're there 6/1-6/3, but a new moon period (=dark sky) will produce a lot more nocturnal reptile activity. In my past experience, June is always a good month there (if there is rain). Good luck, and post your pics!
The Real Snake Man

Thanks, will do!