Wyoming advice for pygmy rattlesnakes

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Roki

Wyoming advice for pygmy rattlesnakes

Post by Roki »

Hi everyone,
I hope everyone on here is having a good start to the week. So, I am looking for any advice for finding pygmy rattlesnakes in the Wyoming area. I am not looking for any hot spots or information that really shouldn't be given out. I am however, looking for advice on time of day, techniques, known protocols, etc. for finding these beautiful snakes. In particular I am looking for any early season advice if any exists. I think I will be out there looking in April. I have done plenty of studies on amphibians and a few on snakes species, but this is the first time for pygmy rattlers. Any help would be great.
Thanks,
Roki
Norman D

Re: Wyoming advice for pygmy rattlesnakes

Post by Norman D »

If you find a pigmy rattlesnake in Wyoming...let me know because I don't think they have been documented there. I don't think even massasaugas are found there.

I believe there are Midget-faded rattlesnakes (Crotalus oreganus concolor), Great Basin rattlesnakes (Crotalus oreganus lutosus), and Prairie Rattlesnakes (Crotalus viridis) there.

I have zero experience with any of the rattlesnakes mentioned about.
Don Cascabel

Post by Don Cascabel »

What???? Wyoming? Pygmy Rattlers??? Is this a troll?
Dan Krull

Post by Dan Krull »

Drive about 800 miles southeast. :thumb:

Dan
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

C'mon guys, don't you think Roki meant midget vs pygmy, as in Midget Faded Rattlesnake? It is found in southwestern Wyoming...
Andy Avram

Post by Andy Avram »

John Martin wrote:C'mon guys, don't you think Roki meant midget vs pygmy, as in Midget Faded Rattlesnake? It is found in southwestern Wyoming...
When I first read it I thought there is a town, county or the like called Wyoming within the range of Pygmy Rattlesnakes. I know in Ohio we have city called Oregon.

Guess we'll just have to wait until Roki comes back to clarify...
RCampbell

Post by RCampbell »

Many residents of Wyoming refer to the Midget Faded Rattlesnakes as "Pygmy" rattlers.... The importance of binomial is really underlined in areas like this where the common name used is especially misleading because it is a name commonly used for a completely different genus let alone species....

Roki, just remember that the species is protected in your state. Sweetwater County has many places where they can be encountered consistantly.
Roki

Post by Roki »

Ha, yes, my apologies guys. Yes, I am referring to Midget Faded rattlesnakes that many locals and apparently one of my bosses refers to as pygmy rattlers. Any ripping gladly appreciated. Just seeing if anyone knew any tips for going for rattlers in Wyoming.
Cheers,
Roki
Cole Grover

Post by Cole Grover »

I would follow the same protocols used when looking for other oreganus/viridis-complex Crotalids. They'll be near their dens early in the season, though this is probably too early for concolor that far north.

-Cole
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

The general advice given is sound. In their limited range in WY, they're quite easy to encounter on foot once it gets warm enough. Also note their mgt status in WY (hands off). They mean it, and they act accordingly. So don't mess around, and have fun. Fishing is good in Flaming Gorge, too. There's a new, invasive fish there (burbot) that's delicious and not wanted in that water body. You could camp, fish, and herp all in the exact same spot.

(Locals in concolor's much-more-extensive range in Utah also typically call them pygmies. The 2 are about the same size.)

Cheers,
Jimi
Dan Krull

Post by Dan Krull »

Many of us knew what he meant, and yet... could not resist the opportunity to make a jokey joke. :)

Dan
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Roki, uh...I'm thinking you're just gonna freeze if you go to Wyoming in April. Just throwing that out there. It's a COLD state. You could just head for the SE USA and see "the other" pygmy, and a ton of other cool stuff. Concolor really aren't that special. I mean, they're alright, but...there isn't much else where you'd need to go to see them, in WY anyway. Except some neat scenery.

Cheers,
Jimi
Roki

Post by Roki »

I agree Jimi. The official protocol I have now seen calls for mid May to mid September. Hopefully looking to hit the ground in May-June.