Costa Rican amphibians- A little good news for once

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

AsydaBass

Costa Rican amphibians- A little good news for once

Post by AsydaBass » March 26th, 2013, 7:54 am

Hello,

Just thought I'd share one of the highlights of my most recent expedition. I know we can all use a breather from the amphibian decline headlines. It's not much, but it's something:

Red-eyed Stream Frog (Duellmanohyla uranochroa)
Critically Endangered; Costa Rica

In an age of rapid extinction and extirpation, the good news comes to us few and far between. Species disappear overnight while others were not even formally described until the wild populations were already lost. Unfortunately, in the tropics, amphibian recovery rates are virtually unknown.

Though, wading through the headlines of amphibian disease journals and through the mountain streams in which they were written about, we receive fleeting signs of hope; the last of which I wrote about was the apparently increasing population of Anotheca spinosa and the breeding population of montane Isthmohyla rivularis that I have been monitoring here in Costa Rica.

Last night, 19 March 2013, two previously unknown populations of Red-eyed stream frogs (Duellmanohyla uranochroa) were discovered in the Talamanca mountains on the Pacific versant of Costa Rica. A little over a decade ago, as if almost overnight, this species had disappeared from its known sites in Costa Rica. The discovery of these two "new" populations of this critically endangered hylid in no way secures its future in the ecosystem, but it does however provide us, the weary tropical biologists, with a most welcomed ray of hope.

-Don Filipiak

"It was formerly common but as of 2002 had apparently disappeared from its entire Costa Rican range except for a remnant population at Monteverde where it has declined substantially since the late 1980s. As of 2007, a new population was found in Tuis de Turrialba, Costa Rica (Brian Kubicki pers. comm.)."- IUCN Redlist 2004

Poco a poco,

-Don Filipiak
http://www.RainforestDon.com

AndyKraemer

Re: Costa Rican amphibians- A little good news for once

Post by AndyKraemer » March 26th, 2013, 9:06 am

Hi Don,

This is good to hear. Here's hoping that we are nearing the end of the catastrophic declines in amphibian species worldwide (I have no real reason to think that is the case, but I try to be an optimist).

Keep up the important work,
Andy

kcmatt

Post by kcmatt » March 26th, 2013, 12:42 pm

Thanks for the news, great find. Kubicki was more optimistic on the fate of tropical frogs, at least vis-a-vis chytrid, than anyone else familiar with them with whom I have talked.

Reptiluvr

Post by Reptiluvr » March 27th, 2013, 7:00 am

Little rays of hope like that are great. So when you found them was there a celebratory dance, jumping, screaming or anything dramatic like that?

Rothdigga

Post by Rothdigga » March 28th, 2013, 7:59 am

Don,
Thanks for the article.

Your photos on your website are absolutely awesome. Everyone should take a look if they haven't already. Really great photography and some great finds in there.

Roki

Post by Roki » March 28th, 2013, 9:54 am

That is wonderful! Thanks for the update.