Long-toed salamander pics

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

AndyO'Connor

Long-toed salamander pics

Post by AndyO'Connor »

I bought my house about a year and a half ago, and if anyone recalls some of my other posts, the place is loaded with northwestern salamanders, pacific treefrogs, puget sound garter snakes, and the occasional alligator lizard and northwestern garter. Despite my old apartment only 2 miles down the road being overrun with long-toed sallies, I was surprised to have not seen a single one, until today. Yard work pays off in more ways than one.

Where they get the name macrodactylum (long toe), the 4th toe on the back legs is longer than other Ambystomids.

It was raining pretty good, and although I am starting to trust this 7D and 100 2.8L to handle a mist, I cut it short after just a few photos. Here's a full body shot, I really like the zigzag patterned ones, but don't see the bold solid lined ones like this too often.

And a portrait. I think these little guys are comical looking.
TravisK

Re: Long-toed salamander pics

Post by TravisK »

Nice macro Andy, wish you could join us in May.
ThatFrogGuy

Post by ThatFrogGuy »

Nice, I always like seeing the Western Ambystomatids. Kinda funny they got that name when Ambystoma jeffersonianum has a much longer toe.
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

Well the sister taxon to A. macrodactylum is is A. laterale, so that kinda makes sense, since blues and Jefferson's are similar. Jefferson's remind me of large long-toed salamanders with no stripe. Thanks Travis, I'm sure you guys will do just fine without me.
justinm

Post by justinm »

You're getting handy with that new rig. Nice shots. I still owe a visit out your way.
Jeroen Speybroeck

Post by Jeroen Speybroeck »

Beautiful! On the top of my list if I ever revisit California or discover Oregon...
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

Try Washington if you like salamanders, if you can do a trip that includes Washington AND Oregon, you can rack up quite the list of species.
PNWHerper

Post by PNWHerper »

Andy,

Great shots! :thumb: Your rig must be pretty sweet. I have been thinking about getting a new Canon body sometime in the future, and would love any advice you might have. I use a 20D right now, which is a workhorse but limited in low-light conditions.

Gardening and herping... good combo. :beer:

Yeah, would've been nice to have you out with us in May. Another time perhaps!
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

I'm using a 7D, which aside from the 6D, is touted as one of Canon's top ASP-C sensor cameras. It handles low light pretty well, not as well as a full frame Canon, but considering the 7D predecesor is rumored to be coming out soon, and they've been out awhile now, you can get a body fairly reasonably priced. If you get it, let me know. I'm using the 100mm 2.8L macro, don't have any flash besides on-board.